I'm turning 50! Desert Eagle .50AE vs. .460 Revolver?

.460 hands-down. You can fire .454 through it, as well as the much more economical .45-colt. Then, everyone can have some fun.

That group posted above with the .460.... That's typical of what a factory .460 XVR will do from the bench. I've held a 4" group at 200 yards before from a sand bag without too much trouble.

There is no comparison between the 50 AE and the .460 S&W Magnum. The .460 is a high velocity (roughly 1,000 Fps faster than the .50 AE) long range cartridge. It's shoots flatter and hits with more energy (roughly 1,000 Lbf. more).

Do you want a semi auto that you can shoot for fun or a seriously accurate long range revolver to hunt with, or shoot at 200 yards like a rifle?

I'd choose the .460 every time.

I'd love to have a Desert Eagle .50 for fun.... I'd pick the .460 XVR first. That's why I have one:)

The .454 is mentioned above as being a potent choice. It's a bit lightweight vs. the .460. Not quite up there in the same class as far as velocity goes. As also mentioned above you can shoot .454 Casull or .45 LC if you want light loads.

The beauty of the X frame is that it comes with a muzzle brake so alot of the recoil is tamed. Kicks about like a .44 magnum. It is very loud however, and it takes a bit to get used to the concussion. Tends to stretch the skin on yer face:eek: which I find quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
DE 50 vs. S&W .460...

Desert Eagle won! Decision was based off of pure fun factor. (Though seeing the grouping capaibilities... I will be following the suggestion and end up buying the S&W eventually).
I haven't heard a negative comment from big bore shooters yet on this gun regarding fun factor... plus did i mention it's just silly good fun.
Like several of you mentioned, you have to get a .50 for my 50th

Now,,, anybody got any ideas on where to find good ammo for this other than the Hornady offered at Cabelas?

Now,,, anybody got any ideas on where to find good ammo for this other than the Hornady offered at Cabelas?

I do not know what constitutes good factory loads for this gun. Most of the people I know hand load for it. But it has stood out as being more available, from different manufacturers, at the stores I frequent. It stands out because it is one of the rare ones still on the shelf.

Good for you and enjoy... Im going to say that DE .50 will bring you lots of fun... Oh yeah Happy 50th Birthday...

With the Desert Eagle you can get the full kit. The pistol frame and the bolt/barrel for .357 magnum, .44 magnum and .50 AE. I had no use for the .50 AE and bought the DE XIX with .357 magnum and .44 magnum barrel/bolt plus a 10" 357 magnum barrel. I was out at the range today with the DE .44 magnum and my S&W 629 .44 magnum. I find both a pleasure to shoot and agree that the DE has less recoil. I also agree that large hands are a plus.

I use the DE in .357 magnum for a night stand gun and use the DE in .357 magnum with the 10" barrel for hunting. Easier for me to carry than a rifle. A quirk with my DE is that the magazines hold 10 rounds. With one in the chamber I like the idea of 11 rapid .357 magnum shots, and the recoil is that of a .38 special.

Different strokes for different folks, but the DE XIX, even if pricey, is a pistol I enjoy shooting.

Oooooh, I would go with the DEagle but that's just my preference. I've always loved it in the action movies. I like the black matte look like what hickok45 has.

I think I would choose it 44 magnum, because it's just as devastating and it can carry an extra bullet in the magazine.

I have been eying the 460 for a while, I like its caliber versatility, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and the 460. Plus the 460 is second to the 500 for pure power in a handgun if I recall correctly.

But I do not hunt, so it would be strictly a fun gun for me, and I have others I want more.

The rounds are going to be expensive for both the DE and 460, and reloading is easier for a revolver. Shooting 45 Colt out of it for most of the range time would be cheaper.

The DE has always seemed like an impractical gun to me, best for range time fun, but without the versatility should you ever want more.

In the end its all personal taste.

If I were going to buy a big revolver I'd look for versatility; e.g., shoot .44 Specials or .45 Long Colt.

I have fired just enough big bore handguns to know that my limit is the .357 Mag out of heavy revolvers.

Did a 44mag revolver and DE 44mag at the same time and so far have not looked back although the revolver and a mule have a lot in common.

Desert Eagle....

I'd ask for the big Desert Eagle. I think this year or maybe 2014 is the big anniversary of the IMI(Israeli Military Industries) Desert Eagle.
The firm is now owned by Kahr Arms & they updated the Desert Eagle line about 2/3 years ago. I'm left handed & wouldn't mind buying a .50AE pistol just as a safe queen. ;)
Id get a .44magnum Ti version to shoot.
Those huge mothers aren't easy to use if you aren't in shape.
They are very popular in US video games & Hollywood productions.
www.imfdb.org

Clyde
PS; as another TFL member noted, you can get a .44 barrel & shoot both calibers out of a Desert Eagle pistol.

I have been eying the 460 for a while, I like its caliber versatility, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and the 460. Plus the 460 is second to the 500 for pure power in a handgun if I recall correctly.

This is only somewhat true. If your a handloader the .460 will produce more velocity and energy up to about a 350 grain bullet. After that the .500 leads the way.
I've owned both a S&W.460PC and a .50 DE. Have to say my personal preference was the .460. Way more fun and versatile IMHO.

1 year update

The .50 Desert Eagle was the way to go. It's an awesome range gun that incorporates the wow, stout recoil and power all into one pull of the trigger.

I'll probably never hunt with it, I have plenty of other options to use for that. But for that firearms gift idea from the wife category, I would highly suggest this gun!

At 6'1", 245lbs and college sports in my past, I am possibly larger than most. And for some reason, I really like the feeling of pulling the trigger on that gun. It's recoil is similar to that of a light single shot shotgun firing 3" mag deer slugs that I used to have. Pulled the trigger on that gun and it actually cracked my back for me. The .50 Desert Eagle isn't near that bad, but its type of recoil reminds me of that old gun.

Like I said, if you can, the .50 is a total riot to shoot.

I've got some experience with both. The DE is certainly cool but at the end of the day, the .460 rules. It is more reliable, more fun, less finicky, honestly more pleasant to shoot, and you get a much wider selection of ammo. You'll be surprised at how light cowboy loads of .45 Colt are in an XVR. It rocks the .454 Casull more comfortably than any gun specifically chambered for it. Of course, .460 is what you really want. Even the less expensive 200-grain factory stuff from Hornady is a zinger. It vaporizes water jugs, watermelons, and more. It shoots flat and can be accurate at incredible distances.

If you are really going for power and "wow" factor, the top end factory loads for .460 are much more powerful than anything you'll find in .50AE. (I think the hottest commercial .460 loads can match the velocity of the hottest 50AE stuff with a third more weight.)

I just noticed that this was an update from a year ago. I'm glad you've enjoyed your choice. It is certainly a great gun. Of course, you could always pick up a .460 to keep it company. ;)

To TerryBarb3, the OP:

Well, 50. Congratulations. It's the year that the bones start getting
brittle and arthritis starts to creep in. So enjoy those big boomers
for a few weeks. :D

Great terry! My experience with the .50ae desert eagle was very comfortable and fulfilling. The recoil was Big but progressive, I only took 7 shots out of one but it was enough that I still have it in my mind that I'd like to get one!

I'm really happy for you! Make every shot count!

P.S. what finish did you get? Any chance you'll post some pictures? :)

Year and a half update: Love the DE .50

Gents, I like that gun so much that I actually now have two!

The first was a brand new purchase from Cabela's.

The 2nd one I recently aquired from a trade of a M1A socom I didn't shoot (didn't like). The rifle litterally sat in my safe for a year or so at a time before I'd shoot it. The trade was for a used, but great condition DE .50 that they had NiB treated, two extra mags and ammo. Now my son and I can shoot at the same time and have a riot.

My eyes aren't the greatest, so I need to add fiber optic sights. But we love the thump recoil and the explosive nature the rounds destroy old concrete blocks in the junk yard.... they literally just poof.

If you're a thumper junky like me, I strongly encourage the DE .50 (and reloading dies)

Back