I'm turning 50! Desert Eagle .50AE vs. .460 Revolver?

I have played with both BRIEFLY and some years apart.

Loved the Desert Eagle in .50. Super-easy to shoot, and is a bucket list gun for me.

.460 is an unmentionable beast for me...fired twice, and have no urge to repeat.

Universe knows I have inadequacies, but the .460 did nothing to address them....

Saleen322:

You are one heck of a shooter! I do well to get group like that at fifty feet.

I couldn't even see that black at 100 yards!

Bob Wright

" ... .44 DE? "

I have several .44's. I love the cartridge and already have my 16 year old going through a box at a time with me. The DE is one of those things I doubt I'd ever buy for myself. And growing up with Arnold being just an actor and not "acting as a Governor" '80s,,, the DE is just silly good fun to pursue. Kind of an 80's guy wanna be testosterone thing I guess.

According to my taste, both DE and S&W500 have excellent "cool factor". I'd take a Solomon's solution - Your wife grants You with one, You grant Yourself with another. Envy You in advance!:)

Originally posted by terrybarb3:

Any of you have expereince and thoughts on wihich handgun is better for non-hunting, birthday fun?

For hunting, the .460 is definitely the way to go. For fun? Depends what trips your trigger, bottom feeders or wheel-guns. Accuracy wise, I doubt that the DE will ever compare to the Smith. From my own experience with a D.E. 44, accuracy is not what they are about. Nor is shooting reduced recoil plinker loads unless you want a single shot. One reason my D.E. resides in someone else's safe now. My P.C. .460 is more accurate to 100 yards than any of my handgun caliber carbines. With it's compensated barrel and heft, it is more pleasant to shoot than my EDC snub nosed .38. Unlike my 1911s I don't have to chase it's brass. But the .460 is a handloader's firearm. If you don't reload or have very deep pockets, I recommend to get something else, as the price and availability of quality factory ammo is the only prohibitive reason not to own one.

Last edited:
The 460 S&W is what I would choose over the Desert Eagle. You could look at some of the Freedom Arms revolvers in the big boys. Fine revolvers. I also like the BFR in 475/480 quite a lot. It has the short cylinder versus the long cylinder that you get with the 460 or 45-70 in the BFR line.

Desert Eagle .50AE for your 50th birthday!

I have shot a full magazine from the .50AE Desert Eagle
and
I have shot a full cylinder from a .460 S&W

I dont own either.

I had more fun shooting the Desert Eagle, although some of that might have been because of the targets. I was shooting full pop cans with the Desert Eagle and just paper with the S&W.

When it comes down to it. I think I would chose the Desert Eagle for a couple reasons...

#1 It's your 50th birthday, gotta get a .50!
#2 I enjoyed the recoil and feel of the gun better than the S&W. The feeling of that huge slide working after each shot was more progressive and impressively satisfying to me than the instant full force impact of the S&W and it's shock from the muzzle break.

I think I would enjoy putting more rounds through the .50AE on a regular basis than the .460

The Desert Eagle is the most powerful semi auto handgun ever. The .460 S&W shoots the fastest handgun cartridge ever. Both are very impressive.

The Desert Eagle has a very nice trigger, and so does the .460 S&W.

I guess the best advice I can give is to go with your gut feeling. Mine says to go with the DE

A note on the DE's recoil: it's less intense than the .460 because like I said, it's more progressive due to the semi auto operation, but it still gives you a nice punch! I found with somewhat relaxed arms, a firm grip, and proper trigger control, the gun would bend my elbows to about a 45 degree angle upon recoil. I just cant put into words how hugely satisfying the big progressive recoil of the DE in .50AE is. If things go my way financially, I might look more seriously at buying one in the future. Just for fun of course :)

Also, while the S&W may be a target grade missile launcher, I didnt miss a single can with the iron sights at about 17 yards with the DE.

As to the DE's reliability. The one I shot functioned perfectly, and the owner stated that he'd put about 200 rounds through it, and it's never failed him. I would imagine that with full power loads and a clean and properly lubed gun, you would have the same experience.

I know one thing for sure. Which ever one you end up with, you'll be glad you did;)

Last edited:
My son bought a DE50 and the range put us down on the end away from all but two folks on the first lane. This was an indoor range.

The first round he touched off brought forth an anguished voice from the first lane. . . "We surrender!!!!"

I have shot it a few times and I reload for him but I would not want one for myself.

It is just TOO much of a good thing. . .

50 A.E Desert Eagle is much fun to shoot.

BUT....Limp wrist it, and it jams
You have to shoot it with the push pull method of holding the gun, if you cup the bottom of the grip on the magazine, it jams

While the gun is a very accurate shooter, it has magazine problems that will result in a jam.

Reloading for it pretty much is full house loads being that it is a gas operated system.
Reloading for it you must use FMJ or semi jacketed, reload lead and you will end up fouling the gas ports and buying a new barrel.

I know this because I owned one, but traded it away due to being to tempramental.

There are much bettor guns out there if you have card blanch of what to get.

If you really like horse power and dig recoil, it don't get much bettor then a FA model 83 .454 casull. or even bettor the Ruger Alaskan in .454 snubed nose flame thrower with compressed loads, nice light show and very very loud, louder the the .50 DE, lots of ohhh and ahhhs at the range if thats what you are looking for. I have both of those.

The tamer grips on the Alaskan .454 are much bettor the the FA 454 casull.

I dont have a .50 cal DE but from what I hear and read about it they have a bad kick and ammo is hard to find and pricy...
With that said I do have a .44 mag DE and it is a very well balanced machine and I like shooting it very much. Now I also have a S&W .44 mag revolver and all I can say about it is OUCH!!! I bought it shot it the same time I shot the DE and now it will be put in the safe and forgotten about cause my hand hurt for a few days after shooting the revolver.

If there is a place you can rent and shoot the .50 in both gun then try the .44 mag and go from there.
Good luck

Back