I'm turning 50! Desert Eagle .50AE vs. .460 Revolver?

terrybarb3

Somehow I managed to luck out and get a great wife who is going to give me my handgun of choice for my 50th birthday. I've always like the Desert Eagle for its cool look and pure horsepower,,, but I also love big bore revolvers.

Any of you have expereince and thoughts on wihich handgun is better for non-hunting, birthday fun?

<<<Please read post #54 on page 3 (an update from the OP) before responding. This thread is a year old and responding to it without reading the update from the OP is a waste of everyone's time. JohnKSa>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I answer I have a question,,,

Before I answer I have a question,,,
Does your wife have a sister. :D

I've never owned a Desert Eagle,,,
But a friend had one in .44 Magnum.

He let me use the thing a lot,,,
It was an absolute blast to shoot,,,
The thing had less recoil than my S&W 629.

I've fired one S&W revolver in 500 S&W,,,
I have one word to describe it,,,
OUCH!

Same for a BFR in 45-70,,,
Not a fun gun to shoot at all.

That's just my opinion,,,
Others will no doubt disagree.

Aarond

What's better than a .50 for your 50th birthday. When I turned 22 my parents got me a 10/22, my dad said what's better than a .22 for your 22nd birthday.

What's better than a .50 for your 50th birthday. When I turned 22 my parents got me a 10/22, my dad said what's better than a .22 for your 22nd birthday.

So...going to be a looooong time till somebody gifts me a Colt Python .357???

So...going to be a looooong time till somebody gifts me a Colt Python .357???

No just use scientific notation to move the decimal place. 35.7X10^-2 or sum the numbers =15 see you are now years overdue.

I have both a 50 desert eagle and a 500sw.I find when packing my range bag for some range fun-9 out of 10 times I grab the big bore revolver.I find it funner to shoot and a heck of a lot easier to clean and reload for.With that being said I'd go for the 460..

Nothing wrong with a 460...

I have a .460 Smith. Here are 5 shots @ 100 yards. It is also neat to see the numbers it puts up. It is a keeper!

200-100Yrds-1.jpg
Chrono200.jpg

Reading balistic tables, the .50AE is reported to be an impressive cartridge. The semi auto function concerns me as I've heard several people mention ammo sensitive. Has anyone had experience re loading the .50AE?

Saleen 322
That is an amaizing group at 100 yards with a that .460! I didn't know production guns were capable of such accuracy.

You're turning 50 and love big bore revolvers....

Simple, get a .50 cal revolver! .500 S&W, or a .500 JRH or how's about a .500 Linebaugh or .500 Maximum?? Simple answer, tough choice.

.45 is as big as I would want to go with a semi auto, even though the DE is magna ported, I think it's just too big for that type of gun. I'd definitely go with the .460 revolver.

Reading balistic tables, the .50AE is reported to be an impressive cartridge. The semi auto function concerns me as I've heard several people mention ammo sensitive. Has anyone had experience re loading the .50AE?

It's ammo sensitive in that it needs hot ammo to cycle the gun, and unless the gun is going to be used for self defense, which I doubt many people use it for that purpose, it shouldn't be a huge problem for a range gun.

Saleen 322
That is an amaizing group at 100 yards with a that .460! I didn't know production guns were capable of such accuracy.

Actually that in no small part is why I bought mine. I got from a reliable source that the round is very accurate. The other thing that brought me to it was versatility; it will shoot .45 (Long) Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 Mag so you can go mild, medium or fast with the same revolver.

Right before I shot the target in the previous post, the revolver shot a very good 5-shot group @ 100 yards. I thought I better take a picture of this as I thought I won't do it again. Then I adjusted the scope and shot the group in the previous post. Here is the previous 5-shot group. Good luck with what you decide as the .50 AE is a cool round as well.

460-200FPX.jpg

I shot a DE in .357 Mag and I only had one complaint with it, the grip is just too long to be comfy in my smaller hands, the recoil was child's play, but my hands are a no go for it. If you have a comfortable grip with it then I'd say it's a good choice.

I have several .44 magnums, a S&W 500 magnum and a Desert Eagle .50AE. .44 magnums are fairly common. I like both my big bore cannons. Desert Eagle ammo is a little bit cheaper, but with the 500 magnum you don't have to chase your brass. However, It will take you quite a while to accumulate enough brass to begin reloading with either. The DE has a definite cool factor and is considered the most over used gun in Hollywood. It is also Chuck Norris' favorite pistol. Mine is solid black and I would love one of the tiger striped gold ones or a shiny silver (hard chrome or nickel). Regardless, any big bore gets a huge amount of attention.

The DE has a definite cool factor and is considered the most over used gun in Hollywood. It is also Chuck Norris' favorite pistol.

Not that it really matters but I was wandering where that information came from. Not the most over used part but it being Chuck Norris' favorite gun.

Back