I'm so ticked off right now! (Remington 700 Bolt Handle Broke!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Remington Model Seven this Summer and it had head space issues which required that it go back to the factory. It sounds like your rifle, however, was cycling well with good quality factory ammo so you did not have a similar problem. The bolt handle should not have broken off though.

I ended up trading my Rem M7 toward a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. It will be a while before I purchase another Remington product.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I recall an m-14 jamming on me and I slammed the cocking handle against the side of a tree to eject a shell. I think you should be able to rough up a rifle if conditions call for it.

I didn't notice this tread was that old...LOL! But it's a good one, nice to see everyone elses opinions and experiences. So I'm glad it was raised from the dead.

I recall an m-14 jamming on me and I slammed the cocking handle against the side of a tree to eject a shell. I think you should be able to rough up a rifle if conditions call for it.
Big difference, the M14 was designed as a battle rifle, expected to take abuse. M700 is a hunting rifle and in no way designed to withstand a 2x4 and a hammer to the bolt handle.

Slappy, while it was originally designed as a hunting rifle, the Remington 700 has been a battle rifle for 40 odd years (USA M24 and USMC M40).

So if anyone wants my opion it is buy a savage or a winchester I hunt with those two for 6 years with no problem.

And I've got over 40 years on a Remington with no problems that were not my fault. SO?

Had a Savage that broke its extractor on the second box of ammo.
again, SO?

Everyone who makes mechanical things has defective parts got out the door from time to time. IT happens, get over it. Yes, its frustrating, but saying "I'll never get one of their products again" seems to me to be a childish over reaction.

If you got a bellyache from a bad burger, do you swear off beef? Or just burgers? OR just that resturant? Ok, its not the same thing...or is it?

I'm gonna keep my Remington...I'm just looking for a 20" Bull Barrel .308 for shooting on the bench. I'm still considering the LTR, but for the money, the Savage is pretty hard to beat.

After you get some rounds down range, you won't believe just how good the LTR shoots. Don't cheap out on mounts or glass. You will be glad you did. The LTR I have any one can shoot 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups at a 100. With the Fed Gold Match if I do my part I can get it down to 1/4 MOA using a bi pod.

Slappy, while it was originally designed as a hunting rifle, the Remington 700 has been a battle rifle for 40 odd years (USA M24 and USMC M40).
Not exactly. It was used as a sniper rifle. Not quite the same thing. A battle rifle is something that can be used with a bayonet attached or can be used to beat your enemy to death if necessary. The M24 was never intended for this type use and it misses the point anyway. The OP took a peice of wood and a hammer and tried to beat the action open by beating on the cast iron bolt handle. It doesn't take a genius to figure out it was not designed to withstand that sort of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back