I'm really enjoying the basic "revolver" lately

"You are entering dangerous territory. Next you will try a Ruger single-action and will truly be doomed."

please consider yourself warned, if you happen pick up a ruger blackhawk 357/38/9mm you will want it, and that will lead inexorably to ruger single action revolvers in 45lc and 22lr/wmr, and then there is 45acp, 32h&r, 17hmr as you move towards the dark side... dont ask me how i know this truth.

as obiwan explained to a young luke: "this is the weapon of a jedi knight. not as clumsy or random as a blaster. an elegant weapon... for a more civilized age." enjoy!

Update: stock trigger has proved to be brutally tough to pull. After much research I bought the Wolf optional spring kit. I tried a few combos and I like the 12# main and the 8# trigger. I did some basic polishing to the trigger components and wow what a positive difference is crisp trigger actuation. LOVE my GP100 even more now as shooting DA is much more do-able than stock.

I love revolvers, you can't go wrong with them, they're dependable get the job done and well made. It's a reliable weapon for shooting or defense.

Do the "revolver checkout" thing, stickied on this forum. That will give you confidence the gun is in fundamentally sound shape AND teach you a lot about how wheelguns work.

Second, if you really want to maximize it, there's this:

https://gunner777.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/ruger-gp100sp101book-of-knowledge/

The GP100, SP101 and SuperRedhawk were meant to be disassembled without tools. The manual tells you how. This document is about doing your own basic internal tuning of the action.

The other big improvement possible in Ruger adjustable-sight wheelguns is in the sights. The rear sight body can be slightly loose, causing a fractional variation in alignment between shots. Bowen has the cure:

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/i...Path=1&zenid=526aeb9aaaab8e4599fb75629bceaf68

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/i...Path=2&zenid=526aeb9aaaab8e4599fb75629bceaf68

Again, these don't just improve the sight picture to whatever rear type you want, they make the rear sight fundamentally more solid.

Ruger used to make GP100s with a 6" barrel and "half lug" barrel profile:

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/Ron6Jon/media/Ruger/RugerGP100Blue6ind-1.jpg.html

If I had that gun I'd seriously consider having a machinist chop most of the underlug off to near-duplicate this profile. I've handled one and it feels much quicker in the hand...a half-lug 6" barrel feels like it swings and points as fast as a 4" full-lug version. BUT, some people like a "muzzle heavy" feel for target work as opposed to a fast-swinging combat monster so...pick what you want :).

The GP100 is a great 357 Magnum. I have one in 4" and 6" barrels. Super accurate and they mitigate the recoil well. I use Hogue rubber grips, instead of the factory grips, though. The action of the trigger is better than that of the SP101, to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry no not sorry to bring back this old post back up.... I love my Ruger GP100.

DSCF5183.jpg

For years, I carried a 10mm 1911. But about 4 years ago I switched to a 629 5" "Classic" .44mag, for multiple reasons. I carry it every day, from pajamas-off until pajamas-on, in a homemade under-the-shirt cloth vertical shoulder holster rig. I shoot it strictly single-action.

If I could own just one handgun it would be a Smith & Wesson Model 10 or 13, heavy 4 inch barrel, Pachmyer signature grips. Revolvers just do it for me,

That tiny keyway hole in the S&W is tiny. Meanwhile Ruger GP100s have always had horrible text on their barrels, only since the GP100 came out. :)

GP100s stock pics are never from the left side in stock photos cause that barrels just looks bad with 4 separate lines of text. And then you flip the barrel upside down...

Mysteriously Ruger loves to show the left slide of the barrel of the "Match" GP100 when their writing isn't there. :)

Last edited:
"That tiny keyway hole in the S&W is tiny. Meanwhile Ruger GP100s have always had horrible text on their barrels, only since the GP100 came out". (Wildcat)

Yes, true. And my new Colt Python has a small weird computer code on the frame. We have to chose our blemish!:D. Blemishes aside, revolvers are just cool. :cool:

My GP-100 took me through my early days of reloading where "power" was king. It soaked up edgy rounds that pushed back primers without complaint. Now that I have come to my senses, it continues to be a pleasure to shoot after thousands of rounds of more "modest" and accurate .357 magnums. (I have other revolvers that shoot .38 specials, including a wonderful Model 10 S&W)

The GP-100 is built like a tank and would be my only pistol, if it came down to just one (although, I'd sure like to keep my reliable Single-Six as well!).

I just added this Ruger GP100 Match Champion 4", its 38 oz empy weight (41.6 oz loaded) is perfect for carry, compared to the GP100 6" loaded weight.

Match-Champion-2-1.jpg

I like to have similar models in different calibers like my 17-2 and 19-3, both 6" with the same grips. In single actions: Single 6, 357 blackhawk and 44 mag SBH hunter. Revolvers are the only way to go for reloaders. Autos cause too much lost brass, especially at indoor ranges.

So let me get this straight. You had a Glock 35 that you found snappy and difficult to shoot well as a novice shooter so your “fix” for this was to get a Smith 460VR. Bold move Cotton. :)

I love revolvers. Something zen like about shooting them. GP100 is a great platform. Enjoy.

Back