I'm really enjoying the basic "revolver" lately

Road_Clam

I'm more of a long gun guy, but over the past 5 years or so been getting into revolvers. My first handgun was a Glock G35 , it was ok, really don't shoot it much as it's snappy and unforgiving for a novice shooter. I then purchased a more researched specific Springfield RO 1911 in 9mm and this got me on the right track to more happy and accurate shooting. I then got my first revolver and I jumped right into the deep end by buying a S&W 12" 460XVR . Took me a while to learn to shoot it well. Added a scope and now I can ring a 14x16 steel gong at 200 meters. LOVE that 460 and I always have a crowd gather around after I send a few rounds downrange. I've recently been looking for a more tame plinker and found a super clean used Ruger GP100 in 357 mag. Did some research and seems the GP100's are a rock solid reliable shooter. I shot about 60 rounds a few days ago and I am totally impressed , very fun and accurate shooter. I picked up some Black Hills 158 gr hp's and shot about 3" groups at 25 yds off a rest which is very good for me being a novice with pistols. Safe to say my semi's are moving to the back of the safe in favor of my old skool' 6 shooters ;)...

The GP100 I recently picked up :

How many years did revolvers exist as the primary handgun?
How many more years did they serve as effective civilian use and service issue?
Revolvers have probably proved their mettle many times over.
Every aspiring shootist should have at least one.

OP my GP-100 looks just like yours. I bought mine back about the middle 1980s. It has been shot many thousands of times mostly with low power lead reloads. It first it would lead the barrel a little but after being shot and smoothed up like it has it never leads now. I won quite a few trophies with that gun in the falling plate matches. Its like a small rifle in my hands.

I prefer revolvers and always have. I rarely ever even look at autos when going to the gun store or the gunshow. You have one of the best.

I can fully sympathise. The urge to sell my last semi auto pistol (an SP-01 that I genuinely respect and enjoy) and replace it with a GP-100 has already reared its head more than once.

I love the CZ; it's just that I love revolvers even more!!

The GP100, or any .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel has excellent stopping power due to the increased velocity from the long barrel.

I've shot about 120 rounds thus far and as many others comment the trigger is harsh. I always try shooting my newly aquired guns stock first to establish a personal baseline before making changes. I purchased a Hiviz Litewave fiber optic front sight, and the Wolff reduced power spring kit. Thats it for mods. Also got a set of 357 LEE dies for my LCT press, bought 1K of Berry's 158 plated rnfp's so good to go for reloading as well ! Already have about 12#of H110 for loading my S&W 460XVR.

.327 Federal Magnum

I've got one of the SP101's in .327 fed mag coming this week. 4.2" barrel, fiber optic sight, etc. Am anxious to get it to the bench for sure.

Will be my second wheel gun along with my Circuit Judge Tuffy. My 11 year old daughter loved to shoot that thing!

Nice gun and you should enjoy it for years to come. Revolvers are fine firearms...pretty versatile and always timeless.

I prefer the Smith's, but you did good with the Ruger.

I've found shooting revolvers to be just what I needed to enjoy handgun shooting again (at least on a static range).

Shooting double-action accurately is just the challenge I've been looking for.

I understand. While I always had a hankerin' for a .357 I saw in a magazine in the 70s, I never thought much of or about revolvers. To me, they were simply obsolete weapons that held an interest to folks who thought auto pistols were unreliable--after being around for 100 years.

But, for whatever reason, I got a real strong urge about a year ago or so, and started looking for the style of revolver I'd seen 4 decades ago and always sort of wanted. Ended up with a Smith 629-4 6", and can't say I enjoy shooting any of my auto pistols more than I do this 44. At the time I bought it, I 'knew' it would probably be the only revolver I'd ever own.

About 3 weeks ago I picked up the super redhawk Alaskan--I really wanted a 629-3 -4 or -5 in 3", and the only one I found was absurdly expensive. The Alaskan looks to be the answer to my dreams for a shorter 44, and I think I may just live long enough to learn to shoot it reasonably well.

But...I know already it will be a lot of fun, and I'm confident you'll enjoy that GP-100.

I now burn thru ammo far slower than I did in the days of Bill Drills and shooting as fast as possible. And for me I think that's a good thing given about the only practical opportunities I have to shoot are at the indoor range, where I'm not moving and neither are the targets.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
@ Road clam.....................I have tried many powders including H110
CFE Pistol is rapidly becoming my go to powder . In my GP 100's I use 125 gr or 158 gr Extreme bullets for a more enjoyable experience I find the recoil on H110 to violent for plinking , no sense on beating up me or my equipment. Smacking that 200 meter gong won't be a problem . 460 XVR Owner TOO !

Back