If your state permits open carry, do you?

I'm seeing a general consensus & I conform with it. My state allows it. I live in an urban area, and OC isn't common, so I don't. I appreciate the ability to, & the security of not having to worry about printing or briefly exposing my firearm while moving about.

Whether it is acceptable or not depends on local social norms and being considerate of others.

One note to those who open carry & say "nobody ever notices". We notice, we just don't say anything. In old west vernacular, "you're upsetting the women and children". And my condition goes to orange. But you'll never know because I conceal carry, and I generally stay behind the one open carrying.

Some wanted it. Some demanded it. Some fought for it. Some were and are critical of those who do it, esp. without some style.

The debate in TX was a touch more nuanced.

We want it. We demand it. We fight for it. We are critical of folks who do it.
I'm not critical of those who choose to open carry--but I've met some oddballs over the years who tend to hang out at places like public stores in vintage world W 2 attire or secret agent like outfits and badges while carrying big revolvers or 1911's. My situational awareness alarm automatically sounds around folks like this.

I'm delighted that Texas passed the law; I don't plan to take part, but the more we can do with our legally carried firearms, the better it is for all gun owners ,,

To me open carrying a gun is like open carrying a sword or an axe. Why draw attention to yourself like that?

Besides, if I did encounter a self defense scenario I'd rather the bad guy didn't know I was armed. Tactics alone tell me that concealed is better.

Now as far as the law goes, I don't think open carry should be illegal but I personally think it's in bad taste. It makes some people nervous and rather they have reason or not I choose not to antagonize those skittish people.

Perfectly legal in Kentucky. I don't do it because I don't want to draw attention but sometimes I carry loosely concealed; k frame in a low riding owb covered by a large button up shirt. It covers the pistol but in some situations the tip of the holster may become visible. I don't sweat it since I am within the law and I highly doubt most people would notice. It is an extremely comfortable manner of carry and I usually only do it going to family's house or running to the sporting goods store to get some more reloading supplies.

Back