If you use NO scent control at all, raise your hand please.

How would you describe your overall level of scent control?

• Extraordinarily hyper-vigilant about all things scent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very tightly control my scent

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Moderately / Average

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Less than average / don't try very hard

Votes: 50 45.0%
  • Sleep in my hunting clothes a week before / Use the wind only

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Don't hunt large game that can smell.

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We put our outer layer of hunting clothes in hefty bags full of fallen cottonwood leaves about a week before opening day. A little spritz of scent killer on exposed stuff that didn't go in the bags (guns, girls' long hair) ...... and a little doe pee on a drag on the way in ..... we've had deer walk within feet of us (me, my nephew and 3 kids, one time) and never even knew we were there ..... it seems to work.

I just don't think it's worth the effort or cost.

About 15 years ago, Cornbush and I set up on a steep hillside that lead to a saddle that deer and elk were using to cross between two valleys with heavy hunting pressure in the bottom of each. The wind was swirling all over the place, when it was blowing at all.

After about an hour passed, I looked over to see Cornbush tucked in behind a few trees, reclined against a large boulder, rifle across his lap, asleep, with a freshly-lit cigarette in his hand. And, just as I was going to get up to wake him before he burned his fingers (and move on to another spot, anyway), I spotted some elk meandering through the dark bottom below us.

We had deer tags, but deer will start moving if they're within 30-50 yards of elk. So, I stayed put and kept my eyes peeled.

Those elk went straight up the game trail that Cornbush was sitting on, and most of the herd (lead bull, satellites, cows, calves, and all) walked right past him (within inches of his left foot) without seeming to even notice the human or smoldering cigarette. Finally, a large cow, almost at the end of the line, stopped. She sniffed and sniffed his boot, inched a little closer, sniffed at the rifle, inched a little closer, and sniffed at the hand with a cigarette now burning into the filter. With her nose about 12 inches from Cornbush's face, she sniffed and gave a little snort.

Cornbush picked his head up.
The elk took 2 steps back.
Both of them had a "deer in the headlights" look.

And, without even a hint of being spooked, the cow just set back on its way up and over the hill at a casual pace....

Scent might matter in some areas. But, where I hunt, even most of the archery hunters don't worry about it.

I guess some deer may be afraid of human scent, but I think in most areas, they'd be running all the time if they spooked every time they smelled humans.

Human scent in the woods is normal

I hunt animals that are used to human scent. I keep protein and salt blocks behind the cabin and I tie my rotten stinky worn out shirts on trees in the areas that I hunt. I smoke cigars in the woods because the animals are used to people working on the roads and loggers. I ride several motorcycels into the woods and I see more game when I ride my noisiest which is my 1966 Bultaco Matadore. The deer and elk actually stop and look to see what is making all the racket.

Not only do I not really care about scent cover anymore, I have pretty well come to the conclusion that the excuse, 'he must've winded me' is a catchall explanation for bad fieldcraft in general or lack of understanding as to why a given animal took off running.

I play the wind and try not to go out of my way to smell weird, but some of the best hunting I have done has been in my sweatiest work clothes and I only wash my hunting coveralls (winter wear) if they get covered in blood.

I guess some deer may be afraid of human scent, but I think in most areas, they'd be running all the time if they spooked every time they smelled humans.

They know the difference. My uncle has deer in his yard all the time. They couldn't care less about what it smells like. Those same deer will bolt at the first scent of a human in a tree. Especially after they realize they're being hunted.

Some places I hunt, including his house, the deer might walk right by houses on their way to us but they spook immediately if they get downwind of a smelly hunter.

It's very easy to tell what spooks them. They act different if they see you or if they just catch a slight whiff or get a full nose full, etc.

I hunt the wind

If the wind is not in my favor I don't even think about going into an area and pick one that is. I get all hot and sweaty working my wildlife management area and by the time I get off I have no time to clean up. Most of the time I throw on and oversize pair of camo coveralls and go. I still see lots of deer.

I used to smoke in the blind, killed more than my non-smoking buddies. Go figure. Some times they smell you other times it seems they can't smell anything.

I skip the aftershave/perfumed deodorant

Only hunt with rifles/shotguns

I do have a ghullie suit but feel stupid wearing it

Keepin track of the wind and whatnot is part of my enjoyment of the hunt

I used to smoke in the blind, killed more than my non-smoking buddies. Go figure. Some times they smell you other times it seems they can't smell anything.

Some of the oldtimers smoke their pipes and even lite small fires when in their moose hunting groundblinds, they say that is masks their scent but I jsut think they are lazy:D

we share the meat during the communal moosehunt so succesrates doesn't matter really

Talk to em too

If you have critters in the yard you need to talk to them. I do and they calm down when I see them other then behind the cabin.

I wash my cloths in scent free detergent and store them in those air tight rubber bags. My boots stay in the bed of my truck (under the cover) all season long. I don't put my boots on until I get to my hunting spot and I take them off before heading home. If I am deer hunting I don't even like to stop at the gas station on my way hunting, unless I am traveling a couple hours and want coffee and something to eat.

I don't put on my hunting cloths till I am at my spot. Only thing I will wear is my base layer stuff with a tshirt and a pair of cut off camo pants over it that I wear in the truck and take off before I put my hunting stuff on.

I try to hunt the wind, but my main hunting spot has issues with the wind swirling and it is an urban spot so the deer are around people enough a little doesn't hurt too much.

I usually will wear deodorant (my wife insists), and with any luck eat a pot of ham and beans before opening day, enoy a cup or 4 of good hot black coffee in the stand, and a hit or two of Redman while spitting on the ground. I do try to be somewhat cautious of the wind direction, but in my stands any wind direction while spoilg one area, leaves 3 other areas from which deer can approach. I have been busted for movement in a tree stand a few times but don't think I have for scent, on the ground I suspect I have but can't ever be sure they didn't see/hear me move either.

I use nothing special. Usually shoot more than 1 deer a season, sometime more than 1 a day.

Never shot a "trophy", but head bones don't eat too good anyway....

As a new hunter with no real mentor to teach me I used to go all out with the detergent, no odor deodorant etc. Used to hang the clothes outside and then put them in totes with leaves and dirt from my hunting area.
Older now and have had a couple people that actually kill deer help me out. Wash the clothes with no soap, spray em with tick repellent, stuff em in plastic bag and don't let the dog near em. Wear hunting only (or almost only) boots. Hang the stand high, and sit tight. Lot less BS and the deer don't seem to care.

For me its mostly a concern for whitetail hunting. If you are hunting areas that normally have human activity, just the presence of humans scent doesn't alarm them. If you are hunting an area that rarely sees human activity, they will be a lot more wary.

My bigger concern is deer being able to precisely locate me so, I'm very conscious of which way the breeze is moving in reference to the area I am watching. In wooded hills, the air moves in different directions based on the topography it encounters. I carry a Bic lighter with me and frequently hold it up and light it to see which way the flame bends. If I'm watching a trail, and the flame is moving in that direction, I'll change positions.

Every "market" is different..... where I hunt, the very best deer blind would be a tractor pulling a feed wagon or a grain cart, or a combine .... maybe a grain truck....... a good cover scent might be diesel fuel and axle grease....

Honestly, there are darn few humans out and about where I hunt, other than the farmers going about their business ......

You are all gonna like this...

I go for a run, do some digging in the yard or jut go an extra day or two without changing. Then i remove my boxers. Hit them with a bit of deodorant, motor oil, gun oil, and whatever other scent i think I might have on me. I then tie my dirty boxers to my tree stand. I try to do this about two weeks before I will hunt and protect it somewhat from the weather. It seems to have worked well for me. It also seems to deter others from sitting in my stand.

It also seems to deter others from sitting in my stand.

I can see how that would work on the trespassing hunters. .....and the deer are used to it after two weeks ...... you Sir, might be a genius. I doubt you could market it as well as the various hunting companies have marketed their various scent killers and and bottles of stink .......

Back