If you thought a firearm would get outlawed, ...

As for C), that's the youth vote. Nobody takes them seriously because youth don't vote. I know because I was the youngest person in the room by 15 years at least when I first voted at 19. Haven't seen a lot of those 18-25 year olds voting over the past 10 years. I don't expect to see them this year.

Did you vote in 2006? If I remember correctly, part of the reason my state's election results came in so late was at-the-poll registration, particularly in Missoula (a college town with a disproportionate number of 18- to 24-year-olds). Turnout is still lower than those 30+, of course, but it has increased over the last two elections in a row and at a rate greater than the increase among those 30+.

Which may be enough to swing a close (among "grown-ups") election, no?

Did you vote in 2006? If I remember correctly, part of the reason my state's election results came in so late was at-the-poll registration, particularly in Missoula (a college town with a disproportionate number of 18- to 24-year-olds). Turnout is still lower than those 30+, of course, but it has increased over the last two elections in a row and at a rate greater than the increase among those 30+.

Which may be enough to swing a close (among "grown-ups") election, no?

I did vote in 2006. Hardly a youth to be seen in my precinct. Youth voting may be increasing but I doubt it will be enough to swing this election. I remember sitting in a computer lab with a couple of guys in '04 and they were disappointed that Bush won. Then the topic of voting came up and it turned out neither of them voted. Clearly they did not really think it necessary to register, take to time to either fill out an absentee ballot, vote early, or vote on election day. The '04 election was hyped as one in which the youth would have an impact but it turned out that they had no impact.

So unless 18-25 voters radically increase their turnout this year there is still a long way to go before the youth vote means something IMHO.

Generally when something other that full auto is outlawed you can't buy new ones anymore. The ones already sold are ok to buy, sell, trade, whatever.

That is not at all the case many times. For example, in California, both the SALE AND TRANSFER of the AR-15 was banned.

Someone that currently owns an AR-15 in California cannot sell their gun to someone else. Heck, a father cannot even give his gun to his son, or leave it to him in his will.

Once the original owner dies, the firearm has to either be destroyed, or transferred outside of California.

So, it's likely that certain weapons will get outlawed once again with DemocRats controlling the presidency and both houses of the legislature.

No, the TRUTH of the matter is that the Assault Weapons and High Cap Magazine ban WILL be reauthorized next year. And the new law will be significantly stricter than the old one. This will pass no matter WHO is President. Do you actually believe that McCain is not in favor of re-authorization??

The Bill does have a new title, though. It is now called:

"The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act"

This bill will be the first step to destroy the right of Americans to own guns for self-defense. It will start us down the road that only "recreational guns" are good guns, and thus have a legitimate reason to be owned.

Last year, virtually the same bill was introduced with the title of: "Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007".

Congress appears to be looking for a way to repackage this legislation so they can sell it to the American people.

"I don't subscribe to the Chicken Little line of thought that seems to be so prevalent on these and other forums. I also don't think Obama has a snowball's chance in hell. No matter what Oprah does." Crag C.

And Chicken Little NRA says this about the sock puppet.

FACT: Barack Obama voted against the confirmation of 2 of the 5 Justices that affirmed an individual right to keep and bear arms.

FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.1

FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.15

FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.3

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a 500% increase in the federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition.9

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.2
FACT: Barack Obama supports local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.4

FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people
who use firearms in self-defense.5

FACT: Barack Obama supports gun owner licensing and gun registration.6

FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court Brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.

FACT: Barack Obama opposes Right to Carry laws.7

FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and “research.”8

FACT: Barack Obama supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.9

FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.10

FACT: Barack Obama voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.11

FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.12

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory micro-stamping.13

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory waiting periods.2

FACT: Barack Obama supports repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.14

FACT: Barack Obama supports one-gun-a-month handgun purchase restrictions.16

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.9

I myself have all the hi-cap semi-auto firearms I want now. I have converted some of my savings over the last 2 years. Having lived thru the last Semi-Auto ban I will not sit back this time.
I had to turn in my Street Sweeper due to the 94 Ban...FACT
If you don't believe the above go to the NRA site or look at you new copy of national Rifleman or Shooting Sports Retailer.

Be very afraid.

JuanCarlos said:
Yes, because it's impossible to imagine that anybody might actually just think he'd be a better leader than McCain, and/or that the country would be better off with him as president.

Actually, I do find that very difficult to imagine. I'm generally not fond of the nominees of either party, but this is the first time one of the major parties has nominated someone who just makes me say, "How old is this kid, anyway?" (He's a few years older than I am.) Empty suit. Figured out who Rev Wright is just a few days after the rest of the country. Unqualified. For the first time in my life, I find myself considering voting against someone for President.

LanceOregon said:
No, the TRUTH of the matter is that the Assault Weapons and High Cap Magazine ban WILL be reauthorized next year. And the new law will be significantly stricter than the old one. This will pass no matter WHO is President. Do you actually believe that McCain is not in favor of re-authorization??

The Bill does have a new title, though. It is now called:

"The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act"

This bill will be the first step to destroy the right of Americans to own guns for self-defense. It will start us down the road that only "recreational guns" are good guns, and thus have a legitimate reason to be owned.

Last year, virtually the same bill was introduced with the title of: "Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007".

Congress appears to be looking for a way to repackage this legislation so they can sell it to the American people.

:confused: Why do you think this.

It would seem to me that a Republican candidate has to pander to us if
he wants to hold on to the South, and without the South a Republican
candidate has no chance of winning.

I most definitely would...if it was a firearm that I wanted anyway...and it looked like it would not longer be available..then I would buy it before I lost the opportunity..finances allowing of course.

In case the 'assault rifle' ban comes back, I am buying several. I probably would not spend the money now if no such ban was possible.

They don't know who has what. It would be a nightmare for them to try to track everything of just one type of weapon that's ever been sold. They'd have to catch you with it.

letter.jpg

i guess it wasn't that much of a nightmare?

I think Obama is a mix of Jimmy Carter and Jim Jones-although Carter was much more accomplished-a nuclear propulsion engineering officer,businessman,and Governor.Jones apparently could tap into the gullibility of people looking for "something"better.
Combining the worst of those two in one candidate is scary.I think many people who are embarrassed to say they won't vote for Obama for fear of being called "racist"will go the other way in the privacy of a voting booth.And not for racial reasons,which would be ignorant.I think the thin resume of Obama puts a lot of voters at unease.

Back