If you had to choose......Golden Saber 124 gr +P or 147 gr non+P

Real true stories of the Highway Patrol...

In the mid 1990s, I read a gun press item about how a SWAT 147gr +P+ fired from a duty pistol went thru a subject & lodged in a wall.
The crime scene techs dug out the 9x19mm bullet & said it could be reloaded & fired again! :eek:

I'm not a big fan of "hush-puppies". :rolleyes:
I prefer the 124gr +P round. I used to advise the wt because you could buy cheaper 124gr ball or NATO surplus 9mm but in the summer of 2013, that's a fond memory...
Now, you have to grab what ever you can get your sweaty mitts on!

I still do not suggest using the 147gr load but it's very popular. A large security firm in my metro area that's "high-speed, low drag" mandates the 147gr JHP.
FWIW; my city's metro PD issues the Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP(SIG P226R).

Six of one, half dozen of the other

I have about an equal amount of 147 gr. 9mm Win Silver Tip Hollow Point as I do 124 gr. 9mm FMJ NATO loads. I think they are both decent, but different, and would probably change one for the other pretty comfortably but like the balance of the slower rounds for defensive use a bit more. I'm not shooting these in the latest wonder nine's though -- both my 9mm's were designed in the 1930's although both are post-war! LOL

Notice the old standard 115 gr. FMJ is kinda off the table.

BTW, I do have heavier weight recoil (and firing pin) springs for if and when I ever switch to a full-time diet of NATO/+P ammo.

match grade, real combat....

I think a lot of 9mm pistol owners or those who are interested in the firearms industry get hung up on marksmanship or accuracy vs the actual design or performance of a 9mm round.

It's not complex and in 2013, there are a # of high quality brands.
Keep in mind that in a real lethal force event, you are aiming(shooting) at a living breathing human being that is actively trying to kill you!
A human torso isn't a 2" circle 50 yards away. A well made 9x19mm round or a series of rounds will cause the desired effect if its in the right location.

You can't pick a handgun load, think its superior design or brand name will create the needed response then not train or condition yourself.

Clyde

with the new technology of the 9mm ammo today,they are almost as good as the 40 SW?Is this true?

I have no experience with shooting jello or people, but I do pay attention to what is said by those who do. For instance, no nonsense instructor and NYPD Sgt Pat Rogers makes a very good argument that compared to the best of the modern 9mm rounds, you get no more self-defense effectiveness from using the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP. He recommends and carries a 9mm, which tends to be the S&W M&P model.

Bart Noir

Last edited:
...SWAT 147gr +P+ fired from a duty pistol went thru a subject & lodged in a wall.

Was that right through the chest of a well muscled 6' 4'' thug, or right through only 0.864 inches of the flabby tissue on the back of an old geezer's arm?

The details do make a difference. :D

Bart Noir

The lighter bullet has worked well from my wife's G19 for many years. 100% reliable feeding, great expansion in any medium we've tested, and somewhat lighter recoil than the heavier round. Accuracy from either is about the same. So she carries with the 124 gr round with confidence. HTH's, Rod

Back