If you had only 1 choice?????

antenna

If you had only one choice for a handgun and could use no other, which would it be and why? Likewise, which revolver/auto and why?

If the GLOCK 21 laying under my bed is the only handgun that I will ever buy, then so be it. It's durable, reliable and very accurate. It is chambered in the battle tested .45ACP and sports a high capacity of 13+1 rounds!

My Walther P99. Looks and shoots great. Comfortable to shoot and reasonably accurate.

[This message has been edited by Sambonator (edited December 04, 1999).]

Pete80 hit the X-ring. I know some people despise Glocks (mostly because it's not pretty), but you simply can't argue with their reliability and simplicity.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

Probably a 4 inch M629. I can (and have) carried one concealed and could (and have) use it for hunting.

Strike the hunting and it would be a 1911. But a big Glock is a great pistol too.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

To my way of thinking, handguns are best used as a constant companion for self defense. If they can also be used for hunting or target shooting, that's great. A handgun carried for protection must be reliable, reasonably powerful, blah, blah, blah. I would want something that met certain minimum criteria while being able to comfortably carry 16 hours a day or more and conceal in a large pocket , ankle holster, belly band, SOB or whatever. I have been considering one of the mini Glocks for just such a purpose. Limited to just this gun I could compete in IDPA and hunt small game and varmints at closer ranges I reckon. In a survival situation, It would probably even work on small whitetail deer and the like.

I believe I'd grab my 4" ss GP100.

Plenty of available ammo choices, proven against man and beast, and one tough gun.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

A full size 1911 in 45ACP. Ammo is everywhere and will do about anything that needs to be done with a pistol. The design works well for conceled carry, competition, and can be used for hunting up to about 40-50yards. Also it is one of the few guns that I can fix myself and with all the companies like wilsons Baer, Novak ect. I can always find parts now matter what happens.

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!

Sig Sauer P229, I have the factory .357sig and .40 barrels and can get aftermarket 9mm barrel for cheaper shooting practice. Great handgun for home defense or target shooting.

The time-honored Sig Sauer P226. Take your pick among the 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig. The Glock 21, however, would not leave me feeling deprived.

If I had to give up all my handguns but one I would keep a Sig 239 in 9mm . It is very easy to conceal for long periods , extremely accurate , 100% reliable and ammo can be found anywhere . I agree with the other posters about G21's [I keep one beside my bed with an M3 light] and 1911's [also a favorite] but they can be too big to hide 100% of the time and as stated you will not have the luxury of grabbing a smaller one from the safe . Good luck , Mike...

ksp931b.gif

A 3" .357 Mag Ruger SP101 (though any high quality 3"-4" barreled stainless .357 DA revolver would do). The .357 is a documented man-stopper. The SP101 is concealable, durable, affordable, & simple. At 27 ounces, fairly light. It's accurate and versatile - load it with .38Spl to head shoot rabbits & game birds on the ground out to 20 yds. Stoke it with 180gr handloads for deer out to 35 yds or so. Shot loads for snakes & little critters up close or inside sheds. 125 gr JHP for nightstand duty.

Revolvers are just safer, there's no arguing that. Semi-autos have a habit of going off unexpectedly….. sometimes in a safe direction, sometimes at a foot, sometimes at a head. Read somewhere that every year more LEOs are wounded by ADs from their own semi-auto service pistols than shot by bad guys.

To me, a high capacity semi-auto is of dubious value for home defense. If you're a LEO that's one thing. But I don't want to explain to the DA why the guy laying on my kitchen floor is ventilated with 13 holes. It's easier to explain the one big friggin' exit wound. -- Kernel

For me it would be my Ruger GP100 with 4" barrel. Other have stated nicely the reason, I need say no more.

Greetings To All, Gentlemen, for me it would
have to be the world famous Sig-Sauer P220A
in .45ACP. It's like a good neighbor; "Always
There When You Need It". As someone else said, "the .45ACP is a time honored tradition; having proved its-self many times
over, on the battlefield. Incorporated
with the "best combat handgun ever" it makes
a very deadly combination. Forget about the
aspect of hunting with a handgun; that's
what rifles and shotguns are made for, unless
you are hunting the bad guy, as I have been
doing for 20+ years !!! The P220A is extremely reliable, highly accurate, and
with proper TLC very durable. To steal someone else's thunder for a minute; "I've
never met a Sig that I didn't like".

Message edited by Dan H. Ford on 12-04-99.

------------------
Ala Dan

What a hard choice. I think my pick over all
would be my S&W mod.66 w/ a 3" barrel. It can be worn for hours in relative comfort, shoots many proven loads, and is accurate.
dk

Back