If you could only have one rifle.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm.

It's got to be a bolt for me, in .308 I can always get ammo that way. A 26" bull barrel fluted probably stainless, if I need to I can dull the finish. A crisp trigger that will break around a 1lb, no travel in it. short action. custom stock, barrel free floated all the way from the lug out, with a gap you can see, no way for grit to build-up in the course of a day. directly below lug a leather pad attached for resting over trees, rocks or whatever I need to get a solid rest. Topped with a top of the line scope, don't care which brand, guess Zeiss would be fine, a 30mm tube and 56mm objective, in case I need to shoot at night or real low light. Complete with a leather sling. Built on most probable a rem BDL receiver, possibly a shilon barrel.

It'd work for all requirements, even shoot ducks off the water if need be for survival(head shots). It may not be the worlds best choice for sending attackers packing, but then if your in the bush with your one rifle, you can always hide rather than duke it out when your outnumbered. Fact is, you can have a full auto in the house, and if a few guys show and are spread out, your chances of living if you fight are slim. Sometimes the best thing we can hope for if faced with large odds, is to slip out the back, lie quietly and get a good description of em. This idea some have of taking on a gang of armed intruders is nonsense. If forced to, fight it out, but if you are an unknown, do the smart thing and don't be another statistic in the murder column.

------------------
Live Free or Die Trying,

Steve Moody

Just once wouldn't it be nice to hear a politician say,"I don't believe this way, but the people do."

I'll stay with my bolt-action .30-'06. The only reason I consider the '06 better than a .308 is that it will work better than the .308 with 180- to 220-grain bullets.

Now, I handload, so everything from squirrel loads to "meese" thumpers are possible. For a handloader, many other cartridges will work just fine for any one target.

I like the bolt-action with a wood stock for reliability as well as beauty and political correctness. Neighbors' attitudes are a bit of a factor, though not at all a control. Unless you're in a mostly-rainy climate, why go plastic? Or stainless, for that matter.

Since some sort of military-style combat is such a small percentage of the odds of use, I don't see the point of a para-military design. A bolt-gun will do just fine for the probable one to two bad-guys; if it's a squad-sized group, I'm running through the brush. I'll ambush 'em later from 500 yards, since I have a certain distaste for folks who'd make me run.

FWIW, Art

If it could only be one, I'll go along with the .22 RF fans for all the afore mentioned reasons. Also consider that there are alot more squirrels and rabbits than there are deer and elk.

Of course I'd back it up with a big bore revolver. ;)

Art, we live in the last of the twentieth century! Wood was fine for ox bows and shovel handles and work well in a fire place on a cold damp evening but on a gun Never! Why would you want to handicap your self with a wood gun stock. That is unless you want to re zero your rifle every time you take it out of the gun cabinet.

A Remington 700P in .308 would be the best. Why do you want controled feed? Are you shooting upside down hanging from a tree? Please explain why Marine & Army both use push feed Remingtons? I guess they don't teach hanging from a tree upside down shooting eh. The push feed Winchester is also an excellent choice in .308 cal.

[This message has been edited by Odin (edited September 22, 1999).]

My Savage 99 .308. Last of the rotary mag original design Savage rifles. If you had just said subsistance hunting I would have said Winchester .22 pump. It will shoot all .22 rimfires except mags.

Cheers,

ts

A rifle, reasonably decent caliber, powerful enough for small game and useful for plinking as well as S-H-The Fan and self defence, that would also take shot shells... could load with black powder.
A 45 Colt carbine? Or if one would get earnest, a 45/70.

I would have to go with my Bushmaster Dissipator. It is tough, I can carry a bunch of rounds. You can shoot most game (only in a survival situation, round is to small otherwise) Honestly in a survival situation I'm not going to be trying to do too much hunting, I'm going to be setting snares, and shining a flashlight in a stream and hitting fish with a rock. It is more accurate than I am capable of, and one small pouch can hold every part that could conceivably break. Though I would much rather have more guns.

I would have to pick my M1A super match.

Easy on the shoulder, exceptionally accurate and very reliable. Most importantly I can hit what I want with it day in and day out.

That is an easy question, as I already own the perfect all around weapon. It is a Drilling, 16ga. X 16ga. x 7x57R wearing a 4-10X52 Pecar scope on Quick detatchable, claw mounts. I also have an adapter that fits into the right shot gun barrel and uses .22 long rifle. I have the .22 adjusted to shoot POA @ 25 yds. for small game. I have taken deer with this using both the rifle and slugs. I have also taken turkeys, rabbits and grouse with the shot gun . For any game larger than deer, shot placement would be critical, but it would be possible to harvest ANYTHING on the North American Continent with this combination rifle.
As a defensive weapon it would be pretty damn good in my opinion, Both with and without the scope depending on range.

Very tough question! Part of me says I would take my M21 and two pocket fulls of M118 Ball ammo. I would get my fish and game by other methods. If the scope gave it up I could still count on the iron sights! Other part of me says that I would take a Remington 541 and
get fat with the same pocket fulls for years!
Hank

ELchimango,- Thank you for the welcome,I just found this site yesterday. I think I will enjoy stopping in as there are a lot of good topics and conversations.

Also, thank you for the compliment. It is a really nice rifle, and I use it when ever I can. It's funny how when most people see it they always ask me why I would put a scope on a double barreled shotgun. Then I show them the rifle barrel underneath and they understand and think it's really cool. My father brought it over from Germany about 10 years ago. He has a lot of combination guns. I wish I had more but ones in good to excellent condition are very expensive. Franz

Whatever the rifle, it would have to be
ruggedized. (plastic stocks, no wood)

If I had to carry the ammo myself, Lightweight 16" AR15 flattop with scope and backup irons, if I could stockpile ammo, probably AR10T same scope setup.

I think having more than one upper would be cheating the question. :)

------------------

Man, do I hate questions like this!

First choice: My Ruger Scout rifle, in .308 Winchester. It prefers 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips, but likes 7.62 ball just fine, thank you.

If for some reason I couldn't have the .308, then I would have to pick a Ruger 10/22, for the same reasons mentioned above. I've owned 6 of them so far (don't ask) and would be willing to stake my life on their reliablity.

the 19th century rifle is great until you have to defend yourself against more than one individual.

I believe in superior firpower. sooo and M60 would be great. it would suck for hiking, and over kill for squirrels, but great for defense against large gangs, where a bolt action won't cut it. If I can't have a M60, than I'll take my Springfield M1A.

The key to one man survival is not fighting! If you honestly think that you and your plastic toy's will make it in a stand up fight against multiple BGs is insane! YOU WILL DIE, YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE! Save all that fighting for some other poor fool, your goal is to stay alive, the rifle is there just in case things go sour. If you have done your part, you really shouldn't have run into a platoon of angry rioters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back