If you could have any handgun....

How about a Colt Single action in Herters 401 powermag? or perhaps in a new Colt proprietary chambering based upon shortened 30-30 winchester cases.

BobaSeth said:
but not any handgun that already exists. What have you always wished they would make, and why?
I wish I could have a 9mm DA/SA 1911
You're in luck -- Colt used to make one. It was called the Double Eagle, and the shop at the range where I shoot just happens to have one for sale even as I type.

There are almost no single shot .22 pistols on the market. The extant few are bench pistols based on carbine actions. None of them are suitable for firing offhand unless you spend big bucks on a competition gun (or antique).

I'd like a super cheap single shot .22 target pistol.

The whole receiver and frame would be cast ZAMAK, maybe anodized. Lockup and trigger parts would be steel, and all the pins would ride in steel bushings.

Hi Points hit a bit under $150 on sale, so I wonder if a simpler .22 single shot would be doable at $99.

At $99, every shooter would have to have one. Especially if it could be accurate and have a great trigger.

I would like to see a Ruger lever action rifle with 16" barrel in .38/.357

Also a 7 round Ruger GP100 3" and 4"

6 round Ruger SP101 .357 2.25" and 3"

Smith and Wesson 686+ without the ugly lock 3" and 4" barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A stainless 5.5-6", .44mag Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk. Why Ruger doesn't have this in their line up is beyond me.

1911 because I LOVE the way they feel, the way they shoot, and the way the look.
DA/SA because no matter how much I train with one, when I draw I can NOT get my thumb where it needs to be without readjusting my grip.

I have a DA/SA 1911, and be careful what you wish for!
Of course you have to adjust your grip when disengaging the safety; put the thumb on the safety, then "adjust" it downward to disengage! :)

P-08 Luger pistol.

I've always liked them and already have a wartime 1911, so I would like the German on for contrast.

If you could have any handgun....
but not any handgun that already exists. What have you always wished they would make, and why?
By jove, I actually recall one I read about a long time ago!

I've read and reread this thread a dozen times & came up blank - - until right now!

Once I read something about the .50 Action Express round being a perfect candidate for use in a submachine gun.

Might be a tad "too much" for a handgun though :D :D

I wish Vltor would get their act together and put their Fortis/Bren Ten into production.

I saw the plastic slide and frame in Vltor's booth at '08 SHOT, then saw the pics of preproduction guns from '09 SHOT.
When they announced that it was going into production, and Bass Pro Shops started taking deposits (2010?), I sold a couple of guns to make room in the safe, but the gun never materialized.

I don't know how much I'd really like it, as I'm no fan of DA/SA, and wouldn't be satisfied with a SA pull not up to "good 1911" standards.
Still, I have the old Guns & Ammo articles about the Bren written by Jeff Cooper, and have always admired Dornaus & Dixon's moxie.

I wish I could have a 9mm DA/SA 1911
9mm because of the ammo cost and reduced recoil
1911 because I LOVE the way they feel, the way they shoot, and the way the look.
DA/SA because no matter how much I train with one, when I draw I can NOT get my thumb where it needs to be without readjusting my grip.

I know MILLIONS of shooters don't have a problem with the thumb safety, and on the range I don't either, but when drawing, it just doesn't happen for me.

So, what would YOU want to see produced???
I'd say the S&W 39 series came close (particularly the 539), but had the slide safety.

A singlestack CZ 75 would be a nice addition.

I wish Smith & Wesson would just eliminate the stupid locks on the revolvers already!

And that SIG would bring out a 10mm version of the p227 with 13-15 round capacity.

And that Colt would bring back all the Revolvers in the original specs.

Back