If you already have a Marlin 30-30.....

I guess I really didn't mention what I wanted this for did I?? Haha, my mistake. The 45-70 is definitely a consideration because I'd love a big bore. But I'm probaby leaning more to a lighter caliber, possibly something chambered in .357 or the like.

I would love one of these:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...ent-products/model-1892-trapper-takedown.html

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Purpose would dictate the choice.
Practice, plinking, informal target, and small game hunting. Henry I 22long rifle.
Big game hunting Marlin 1895 45-70.
Just for grins, and to feel like a cowboy, Henry Big Boy 45 Colt.
Design nostalgia, Savage 99 in 250-3000 Savage (250 Savage). Or 300 Savage.
And then if your desire for "another lever gun" is leading to a collection,
Winchester Model 88 in 308 Winchester
"The bolt action rifle with a lever"

There are some who say, in a current thread that lever guns are not useful for hunting anymore. I wonder how that can be said. Probably more deer have been taken with the Marlin 336 in 30-30 than any other single gun and certainly between the Marlin 336/1894 and the Winchester, what else would have taken more game that those three?

The 30-30 is a fine cartridge and certainly accurate and useful out beyond 200 yards or more and for walk up hunting and compared to a bolt gun in brush and timber, really? Point being that the OP can purchase any lever gun that suits his eventual fancy and have a nice and useful and fun gun to own and be proud of whatever he gets, even if it is a 22LR.

3C

Last edited:
There are only two other true lever gun cartridges. The rest are impostors or pretenders.
No, there are three more.
250-3000 Savage
303 Savage
300 Savage
All originally designed for the Savage Model 99 lever action.

Something by Henry. They make a quality product and are quality people. Can't say enough good things about them.

What is a, "true levergun cartridge"? If that is taken to mean only those calibers that were originally introduced in a lever action rifle, then there are At least 25 cartridges introduced by Winchester alone, specifically for various lever-action rifles.

Then there have been several Marlin cartridges, some of which were simply variants from the WCF line-up, while others are more original.

There were at least four different Savage cartridges.

Did somebody say, "Spencer."?

The 44 Henry rimfire was among the first.

There are more than I thought...

The 9422M is a Winchester, I bought mine circa 1984. It is a wonderful rifle and one of my all time favorites. Mine has a little 4X scope on it and it is a great shooter.

The 45-70 can be loaded way down and still be effective for deer. But it is a big bore, lol, so I can see your point.

3C
Yep, I got it confused with the Marlin 1894M...
senior moments...argh!

Back