If you already have a Marlin 30-30.....

Jacket67 hasn't said what he's looking for out of a levergun so I'm not sure what to suggest. Besides my own 30-30, a nice Mossberg 464, I have a couple of Rossi 357s that are just great for plinking and light hunting and my favorite range toys. Both with full power loads and light plinking loads a 357 is a great choice.

I also have a couple of Uberti 45 Colts that are also great for range and plinking but not great hunters as they are limited to 14,000psi loads. Then I also have a Henry 22lr that's fun to teach kids with and at the other end of the spectrum I have a beautiful scoped Winchester 88 in .308 that would be good for anything in North America and lastly a Savage 99 in 300 Savage to round out the collection.

So, picking one to suggest to Jacket67 doesn't make sense to me without some idea of what he wants it for.

I never did like the Marlin styles. The Rossi and Winchester levers are more my state. Marlin does make some great lever guns though!

Last edited:
Indeed.
I made no mention of age.
Superiority and availability trumps obsolescence and mediocrity.

(We're in "1911 vs Hi-Power" and "9mm vs .45" territory here... There really isn't any argument.)

44-40 has probably killed as many deer if not more than the 30-30. Out to 100 yards it's no slouch. I've made it 61 years without feeling the need for a 444. It's a niche gun. If you reload a 45-70 has a lot more bullet choices and loaded ammo is easier to find. If I wanted a big bore lever action that's what I would go for.

There is a long list of interesting lever-action rifles, but, unfortunately, there simply isn't enough money to have them all. I shall have to make do and be happy with what I have. I will say, however, that I find the Winchester 1886 Extra Lightweight to be one of the most attractive. I also like the model 55 Winchester. And I like Marlins too. Like the 1893, 336T, 336 Cowboy, 1894.
The Savage is utterly different, but what a marvelous contraption it is with that rotary-spool magazine.

Buy another Marlin, a different configuration.
I have a 336C 20" barrel carbine and a 36ADL 24" rifle.
As far as the comment about the Winchester 94 being so much better;
get back to me after you try cleaning the barrel on that 94 from the breach end.

Buy another Marlin, a different configuration.
I have a 336C 20" barrel carbine and a 36ADL 24" rifle.
As far as the comment about the Winchester 94 being so much better;
get back to me after you try cleaning the barrel on that 94 from the breach end.

Flexible bore cleaning rod. Next question? ;)

Flexible bore cleaning rod. Next question? ;)
Do not misunderstand, I appreciate a Winnie. But the Bore Snake is nice for a field clean tool but it does not pull lead or copper from the bore like a traditional rod.

Since the demise of Marlin as a company and incorporation into the hive (lol) Remington and their pending bankruptcy you never know what may happen as a result. I would buy another Marlin. Of some sort. Snd I am serious, while I would look any rifle of any kind over close, new or used, the REP rifles currently coming from Remington are nice rifles, in fact superior in some ways. But at the same time there are a finite number of JM rifles and if Remington were to fall apart, well, I think Marlin prices would start to creep up more.

Get yourself a 336 Texan maybe, or look for and prepare to pay for an old 39 or one of the many odd calibers Marlin produced (if you load). And I still say the 45-70 is a blast!

A Savage 99 would be nice too.

3C

The disassembly process for a Win 94 and a Marlin 336 are night and day. Winchesters are nice rifles, Marlins are easier to scope and maintain/repair.

Flexible bore cleaning rods are not bore snakes...
Oh, thanks, I misunderstood. That said, no thanks on that, I will take the Marlin. A few seconds, NO TOOL REQUIRED to do a field strip. All of my Marlins have the quick take down lever screws. I can pull the lever, remove the bolt in a few seconds and have access to use a quality rod and assorted cleaning brushes as needed from the chamber end.

And my eyes are still decent but I cannot shoot a rifle in dim light with iron sights, a ghost ring being the possible exception.The Marlin wins there as well due to ease of fitting scopes or other sighting options with no or minimal modifications.

3C

To each their own. No need to put down other makes. I don't feel the need to take my Winchesters completely down for excessive cleaning constantly. There are millions of opinions about how often you should to a thorough cleaning. Mine way seems to work as good as most. Winchesters are the same. Buy a scope mount that fits, put a scope on and sight it in. Done.

While I dearly loved my 1895-SBL in .45-70, frankly, it just damaged too much meat.
So, I sold it and have been looking for a good deal on a Marlin 336 in .35-REM :)
Went back to using my Grandfather's 1952 Marlin 336RC in .30-30, more fun to use that on deer & hog, anyway...

Wouldn't sneeze at a good deal on a Marlin 9422M or 57M, either...
even though I've already got a buncha .22WMR pistols & rifles on hand ;)

If I ever were to get back into SASS, I'd want a Marlin 1894-Cowboy in .357 Magnum,
those things are beautiful!! Had the .44Mag last time, but it's more expensive to feed.

The Henry Long Ranger are pretty interesting.
Quite similar in function, if not design to the Marlin 62 Levermatic, but in more modern calibers!
The Model 62 came in .256-Magnum and .30-Carbine. 1963-69.
371024_01_marlin_62_lever_30_carbine_640.jpg

Last edited:
While I dearly loved my 1895-SBL in .45-70, frankly, it just damaged too much meat.

Wouldn't sneeze at a good deal on a Marlin 9422M or 57M, either...
even though I've already got a buncha .22WMR pistols & rifles on hand ;)

If I ever were to get back into SASS, I'd want a Marlin 1894-Cowboy in .357 Magnum,
those things are beautiful!! Had the .44Mag last time, but it's more expensive to feed.

[/IMG]

The 9422M is a Winchester, I bought mine circa 1984. It is a wonderful rifle and one of my all time favorites. Mine has a little 4X scope on it and it is a great shooter.

The 45-70 can be loaded way down and still be effective for deer. But it is a big bore, lol, so I can see your point.

3C

S others have mentioned, I'd look for something in .357.

The Rossi is a '92 which is smooth and strong.

Marlin and Henry make mounting a sighting option on the reciever pretty easy.

My first choice would be a 44mag. First there is a Model 92 which can be any of the various branded guns out there. You get a very handy 5 pound carbine with great stopping power for a woods deer rifle. A little more pleasant option is the 6 pound Marlin with the rubber butt pad. I would look for a used example made in Conn.

The Henry 44 is 7 pounds and that a lot of weight for a lever firing a pistol round.

My second choice would be to go 45/70 and either an old marlin or perhaps the Henry if those appeal to you. Stay with an 20 or 22" barrel max. These are both 7 pound rifle. You will want a shotgun (flat) butt plate.

In this case the winchester 86 and clones are too heavy for hunting and unnecessarily heavy for a 45/70. Beyond that, most of the 86's have crescent butt plates that inflict undue pain. Same warning on any 92.

I would stick with iron sights,open or aperture. If a scope is desired I would be shopping for a bolt.

As always my 2c, YMMV.

I guess I really didn't mention what I wanted this for did I?? Haha, my mistake. The 45-70 is definitely a consideration because I'd love a big bore. But I'm probaby leaning more to a lighter caliber, possibly something chambered in .357 or the like.

Back