If the majority of Police use Glocks...Arent they good enough for us ??

jtduncan--thanks for your comment.

automainea--I did not say that a BG took the slide off my Glock. I hope I never meet that person. If I created a misimpression, sorry. I was responding to a comment that a person's Glock had never malfunctioned in a way that took him out of the game. My model 22 did. Once I couldn't get the gun to go off while I was dry firing after a range session during the time that I was using it as a duty gun. I was pulling the trigger so hard the trigger bar was bending, but it wouldn't go click. I ultimately diagnosed that the contact point where the trigger bar meets the connector was dry (I tend to be a minimalist in terms of lubrication on a carry gun), and a small drop of oil cured it. (P.S. Exhibit A in the case for backups.) For some reason I tend to be one of those people who can get anything to malfunction, like the Sig P220 that jammed on factory .45 hardball, or the same gun that had the front sight walk off the gun while I was shooting it. (Exhibit B) I had a trigger spring break on a Beretta the day after I almost needed it real bad. (Exhibit C) Machinery is just machinery. It's never 100%, not even a Glock. Always have alternatives in mind, even if it's your feet.

See George...

Just by what you said...Glock is an all around decent company....and their customer service is top notch..:p

Glock people do have a tendency to use words like "best" "toughest" "most reliable" or even "pretty"? when describing their pistols. No other pistol except 1911 owners are as fanatical. Naturally this is going to raise the ire of other shooters esp. an opinionated place like this. But the influence Glock has had in shooting sports and combat pistols in general has arguably been the greatest since the 1911.

Even detractors of the Beatles or Elvis cannot deny their place in history.

If you Glock owners prefer a different sound HIGHLY RECOMMEND 3.5lb trigger goodies, and (non-service ONLY) titanium striker, or (and for service apps) a lightened tool steel striker.

It will "fix" the 'doink', and done correctly will significantly improve trigger performance and speed up lock time.....possible improvement in accuracy due to better trigger.

My SIGs all go "doink" when I dry-fire them. Bugs the heck out of me.

As for the original topic,I like variety. Don't think "settling" for what others choose for unclear reasons will necessarily result in the best weapon for me. If I was a Police Officer, I would be bummed if I got saddled with a weapon I did not like or trust.

George said:
...It met minimum requirements, and Glock was willing to take our Sigmas and our adjudicated weapons in trade for the Glocks...

I think it's important to point out that Georges' T&E/Procurment department had, previously, selected Sigmas. Keeps things in perspective. The FBI/DEA/DOJ/DOD have done plenty of performance tests (published) against Glock, SIG, Beretta and HK, and at one time or another each one of these did better than the others.

Personally, I like Glocks. I've owned a few. Great guns, but no, they are far from perfect. Now, best all-around or overall maybe, but there is no perfect gun.

I'm not bashing the Glocks.....just the idea that if LEOs use a type of weapon, then it must be the best. It is fact that agencies must often get something that is not quite as good because it is all they can afford. Glock has been VERY aggressive in selling to LEOs BECAUSE THEY KNOW PEOPLE BUY WHAT THE COPS CARRY. It is better to give a break on a hundred guns in order to sell a thousand. I can remember when Glock first came out, and no-one was really impressed. How things change with good marketing. Glocks are fairly good guns. They ARE good enough for the general public. Just stop with the marketing hype, already!!!!!

As to the Sigmas, they were purchased sight unseen when they first came out. The FTU at the time was rabidly S&W, and believed they could do no wrong. S&W actually offered to EXCHANGE the old Sigmas with brand-new ones AT NO COST. Needless to say, the new FTU decided that a functional weapon was more important than a free one. You get what you pay for.....

Well it is obvious that, however one feels, Glock has created a revolution in handgun manufacture, one that almost everyone will ultimately follow.

But actually Glock is self-limiting, they basically just build one gun and keep chopping it off or making it longer.

I think that other manufacturers will use the same technology and come up with some highly creative variants.

It will be bad news for some that Glocks really can't been seen as objects 'd art, no richly textured wooden grips, no deeply oiled blue finishes, firm barrels,
pouting triggers, etc.

They are basically designed to go bang.

Glocks are so widley used mainly because:

1) They are so easy to use and maintain.
2) Safe Action system is preferred by most over DA/SA or DAO.
3) They do work well for a long time, the armorers course is a breeze, Glock bends over backwards to get/keep happy customers, good prices, takes anything in trade, etc.

A few yrs ago the SIG 9s dominated the feds (FBI/DEA/USMS/Customs). Now it's Glock 40s.

The FBI had a group of agents fire samples of all the 40s submitted, the Glock was the favorite, so it was run through all the tests. It passed, contract was signed for so many at such a price for so many yrs. Does not mean that many will actually be bought. The DEA tested just about everything, signed contracts with just about everybody, have been issuing mostly Glocks the last few yrs.

The INS/Border Patrol tested Beretta, SIG, Glock, S&W, Ruger. Bought 32,000 Berettas since 95. SIG is an approved option. Is buying a bunch of USPs (based on DEAs tests). The Glock 40 is still not an approved option with them AFAIk.

Ohio state police tested em all, went SIG. Illinois tested most of them, went Glock. NJ is going with new S&Ws...

They all work. Which is best is like asking somebody which ice cream is better, chocolate or vanilla? A matter of taste? Most surveys will have vanilla come out on top BTW, but I like chocolate. And Glocks in 9mm. :)

After reading some of the earlier posts I was starting to wonder, until I read Jt's posts which pretty much nailed it.
Glocks are just a no nonsense get it done pistol, and they do it well, in terrible conditions.
If you collect guns for the toy collection or the smoking room collection there are better choices.

This was a LOT of good reading but I think it can be summed-up by just saying Glocks are "idiot-proof". No offense to the well-trained LEO's out there but hey, you guys know who you work with.

Back