If the majority of Police use Glocks...Arent they good enough for us ??

vyper005

I think so....All the Federal agencies and Police Departments supposedly conduct very extensive "Torture Tests" and the Glocks usually pass with flying colors...What do you guys think ??

Most police departments and federal agencies will buy the cheapest product available. It doesn't mean that they are the best. The question is do any of the so-called elite units use Glocks? Not many that I know of.

Me thinks those guys just hate to carry an extra ounce of weight all day long...I can understand them perfectly - in the past, when I was carrying AK-47, it was not a lot of fun
to run with it in a "summer time". I would probably prefer to run with M-16, but I would use AK-47 if I sit in a muddy trench...

But Glocks are pretty good overall, little doubt about it.

Obviously, cost during initial purchase is a major factor. So is maintainability and longevity.
Glocks are one of the easiest of guns to take down for maintainance.
We've all read of the K-booms in the .40's, but overall, for ease of use...Glocks are sweet guns.
I still think the 9's are the best Glocks.

Why would you think that the requirements of a police department and the needs of a private citizen would be the same? Police, military, and private citizens have totally different job descriptions, different threats, and different mission requirements. All that adds up to different weapon requirements.

Get the weapon that fits your individual needs, not the weapon that some ultra-sexy elite police/military/SPECWAR unit carries. If that happenes to be the Glock, cool! Glocks are fine guns.

Later,
Chris

I have the G36 and the G30 both really great guns..I carry the Kimber Royal Carry...I have owned the Sig P245 the P220
and try as I might I can not seem to stay away from the 1911.

Anyone of the above mentioned are great..but there is something about how the 1911 handles that to me makes it the fastest gun from draw to target of any thing on the market..I am sure others have other views.

Gary

I thought I'd read somewhere that Glock offered the best "volume purchase" deals (practically giving them away to get marketshare) ?
Can anyone confirm?

Given that, I don't think you can use acceptance by Police departments as a gauge of superiority but there's not doubt about it, it's a fine handgun and would serve you well.

Take a look at the Ruger P95/P97 too. :D

Oris, you 'carry' an AK-47? As part of what legally gainful employment do you carry an AK-47? And why do you think an AR-15 is easier to 'run with' by your 'preference', Your profile states 'Engineer' Your post states 'make belive' What do you know about Glocks, or any other handgun or long gun?

There is only one reason why US agencies use Glocks, and that is reliability. Period, thats all,

9x45 said:

There is only one reason why US agencies use Glocks, and that is reliability. Period, thats all,

I would, with respect, disagree - mostly with the "Period".

Many agencies are issuing weapons to employess that are not gun enthusiasts. In fact, they may shoot & clean their weapon only when they are required to qualify. A Glock is easy to maintain (no worry about keeping the bluing oiled), simple to operate (can't get much easier to teach than "point, pull trigger"), reliable (they will go "BANG" when the trigger is pulled), and economical to buy.

Sort of like the cars they issue - plain, reliable, & economical. Definitely not high performance, but then again the employees won't get into trouble using them.

We know that some of the "Elite" groups are issued weapons other than DAO handguns - & they are required to undergo more rigorous training.

This is not a knock on Glocks. I don't own one, & don't really have a desire to - but that is personal taste. I can't argue with how appropriate the operating system is for simplicity in training and usage. But if you are an enthusiast, enjoy shooting and practice often, you may get more mileage from another type weapon.

I have hesitated to use this up till now, but here goes:
YMMV.

9x45, "in the past I was carrying AK-47". In the past
I used to live in the USSR. AK-47 used to be an issue
weapon in the Soviet army. AK-47 is heavier than M-16,
means it's easier to run with it. I used to run with AK-47,
5 km. distance, when I've been trained in the Soviet army. This was not a lot of fun, but nothing I could do about it.
After I stopped running with AK-47, I became an engineer. After I moved to the US, I continued to work as an engineer. I shot Glocks a couple of time, They are indeed good guns and very light in comparison with all steel guns.

Hope I explained it all.

I think that any agency will still leave it to the lowest bid. Glocks don't cost that much to manufacture and therefore can lower there bid to ridiculous amounts to look attractive for any department. Private citizens on the other hand can buy whatever the best gun their money can buy.

Todays modern automatics made by the big names are some of the finest production pistols ever made. Whether they be Sigs, Beretta, Glock, HK, or Springfield. So its no surprise all of the above brands have been adopted by various agencies across this country. IMHO, all these pisols are fairly equal for combat and police work. How much of an advantage do you think you're gaining by getting a $1000-$2000 gun for defense?

Glocks passed with flying colors in tests and requirements by each respective agency that chose them. If Glock puts it over the top by sweetening the deal then an agency should choose the Glock. And Glocks have been issued to SWAT teams, Germany's GSG-9, and are selected as individual weapons by those in SEAL, SAS, Mossad, et al.; if you need the name dropping.

I feel Glocks have truly proven themselves beyond the price tag. A guns' worth should not be measured by its price. (Case in point the CZ-75, but not for long:() Gun snobs and traditionalists need to accept the fact people choose Glock even though they could have afforded something more expensive.

My designation pretty much says the two guns I prefer. However I think Glocks are pretty good guns. I don't like them due to a 'Sproingy' trigger and the grip angle. (they shoot high for me) However even a 1911 diehard like Chuck Taylor has given good reviews for the Glock, they are tough and reliable. If you are one of the people whose hands fit the Glock by all means use it. It's probably got a much longer life than my favorite BHP (Chuck Taylor has put LOTS of rounds through his and it still works)

Vyper005 said:

How come you have no desire to own a Glock?? Have you ever shot one ?? What happened ??

Got to be honest - no, I never have shot one. That's why I wouldn't try to argue that they aren't reliable, sturdy firearms - everything I read says the opposite. I have read that accuracy is acceptable but not exceptional. But I have never shot a Jennings 9mm, & I know I don't want one of those either. I'm not comparing the 2, just making a case in point.

I have handled them though. I guess they fit my hand OK, but there are 2 features that I just don't like in firearms that apply to the Glock: plastic guns & DAO actions. Maybe for curiosity I'll pick one up some day. I've thought about buying one in the past, but something else has always caught my eye & I go home with it instead.

I am curious though - what do you Glock fans think of the new HS2000? There is an awful lot of chatter about it, and they can be had for under $300. Anybody tried one yet?

Glocks are good pistols, there's no denying that. They just don't fit my lifestyle or the way I carry my pistols. IMO, Glocks are excellent LE guns because they stay in a rigid holster 99% of the time. I only carry conventional DA pistols. I'll pass on the spastic plastic thank you.:)J. Parker

Didn't the USMC carry the G-21 for a while? I think I saw that bit of info in a gunrag somewhere.

My G-23 would be perfectly suitable for carry, if I did not PREFER a snub nosed revolver or mousegun (NAA mini or Guardian). When I do carry a medium semiauto I PREFER my .45 Colt Commander because I have practiced with it more and am a better shot with it.

I like the Glock and have every bit of confidence in its reliablity and power. I am just not a "natural shot" and it takes me a while to get halfway decent with any handgun

Back