If someone is shooting at you with a .357 Magnum...where is the best cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take a pistol to a Rifle fight!!! Get the heck out of there fast and use your side arm only as needed to efffect that course of action. You will likely not have a choice of cover but will take what you can find.

As some one else pointed out any concelment is good, and also the cover even if not compleatly sufficient may decrease a round to the point of not being fatal or severe --- not much consolation but making the best of a bad situation.

I found it intresting in reading that rounds will tend to hit and follow walls so troops are trained to walk a foot or more away. Hope if it ever comes to that I have the presance of mind to remember that. .

RsqVet said:
I found it intresting in reading that rounds will tend to hit and follow walls so troops are trained to walk a foot or more away. Hope if it ever comes to that I have the presance of mind to remember that. .

Yessir...

"Bullet Channels"

Today's "Wise-Crack Vote For the new and improved answer A is: Hide behind large boulder; begin "Lobbing" Grenades repeatedly w/ trusty 40mm launcher until situation is resolved; then see & modify my original answer to: "'I swear I was in the next County during that awful disturbance Officer; that's my story and I'm stickin' too it..!!" (erh)

many years ago, I read someplace that US postal service mailboxes usually make good cover. I don't know if that's true or not, but its a thought.

The standard round-topped blue USPS mailboxes make for adequate cover against typical handgun ammunition. They're built out of sturdy steel that will certainly impede a bullet's flight. Not so good against .357 Mag or .357 Sig, 10mm, .41/.44 mags and the little 7.62x25mm at under 25 yards. But even these rounds are slowed up quite a bit by that steel.

Mailboxes shouldn't be considered cover against a rifle or shotgun slugs however.

Speaking of cover -- dumpsters make pretty good cover, especially if they're more than 1/2 full!

Behind the wall of lead I will be putting out....

Just kidding of course.

If there is no suitable cover in the area I'll just start running while thinking "There's no place like home, there's no place like home!"

I think if for the first time you take incoming fire, it's not going to matter what to you what caliber it is. I don't want to get shot by a .22 and more or less than I want to get shot by a .50.

Or maybe Rosie O'Donnel could be on scene to provide a "great wall" for me to hide behind.

If someone is shooting at you with a .357 mag, where is the best cover?

This is a trick question, isn't it? The answer is the same no matter the caliber. The unequivocal best cover regardless of caliber is behind the breech face. D'uh. It is the best cover because the bullets can't penetrate it when fired. In fact, they won't even be able to travel the short distance to contact the breech face.

Speaking of cover -- dumpsters make pretty good cover, especially if they're more than 1/2 full!

It always seems to work in the movies (hiding behind dumpsters). I would take any cover I could get for starters and then maybe try to "trade up" to better cover after I assessed the situation. I carry a 357 so maybe this BG should start looking for cover from me!

I'd make sure to stay out of his path - He'll be running away coming out of a bank (just creating confusion for his escape).

Barring that, Go to ground. It's quick to get to and makes you pretty small. Use other cover if available....

-tINY

Remember once you hit that first cover: look for the next piece of cover, then the next and so on.

It really helps if you keep cover in mind as you walk around everyday, cause you never know when this is gonna happen. That is called condition yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back