If I Handed you $300, What do you buy?

I don't know how the used market is in your area, but most places around here are asking close to the same price you would pay for new - sometimes even more. For a .38 revolver under $300, all I'm seeing is the EAA Windicator. Bud's has them in 2" and a 4", both for under $300. I don't know much about them, so I'd recommend a bit of research before buying, but it seems to meet the criteria.

I actually had this limitation when I went to a gun show a couple weekends ago. (The misses gave me this haha). I looked around quite a bit and I found this.

uploadfromtaptalk1468165914928.jpg

Taurus M85 for 270 dollars. I know there are others, especially on the Taurus forums that have gotten them cheaper, But even at the academy here they are 300. So for a bit cheaper I got myself a nice little wheel gun that I think feels better than the SW Airweight my wife and I shot at the range. They even had a 605 at the show but it was 320 and it was a little more scuffed than I cared.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If I only had $300 to spend on a SD handgun, out the door, and had nothing but 38 special ammo...

I would sell/trade the 38 for some 9mm and get a semi-auto pistol. At that price point I would probably go with the S&W SD9.

$300 won't get you far, so I"d opt to save up & buy something better than what 300 will get you. As to the used Smith Model 10's...and I really do like Smiths...it's a great gun in need of decent sights. Save your shekels and get a M19 for versatitlity or a M15 with adjustable sights. Trying to get most any fixed sigthted Smith of my experience to shoot to the sights is a Royal PITA.

If all you intend for the gun is sitting in a bedside drawer, the Smith M10 is ok as the distances are well under 10 yards. But for a more useful range of uses, adjustable sights make the most sense. Home defense at 'across the bedroom' distance...or using the same gun while thinning the jack rabbit population out to 50+ yds demands better sighting arrangements.

Best regards, and YMMV...Rod

Just put $100 bucks down on a Armscor M206 spurless hammer, in nickel NIB with the wood and the rubber grips included. Total price new is $339 before tax at a local shop.
Just reiterating what I said about MSRP.

A while back I found a really nice former law enforcement S&W model 15. I pointed wife unit to it, and it became her bedside revolver. It was a bit less than $200 at the time. I have no idea what it would be now, but given inflation you might be able to find something similar for around $300 or so. Shop around, find a nice used K frame. Don't be scared off by a little holster wear.

WOW, a Bulgarian Makarov REVOLVER!
I gotta get me one of them!

Pardon me all to hell for suggesting an alternative.

without reading any comments .... $300 would buy ...

another Ruger LCP
It's a small pocket sized .380
and cover it with a nose rag bandanna

No one has said I am carrying

Of course in the next day or 2 my wallet holster will be here and the nose rag will just be that - a nose rag :o

Around my way, any revolver you can buy for only $300, you wouldn't want

Not much...
Only the heritage rough rider or an abused Taurus for that price point usually.

Note that these two fine folks live in MA and NY

If you live in a "freer" state then the model 10 is about as good as it gets for a $300 revolver.

Now, since I already have things like that, if you were to hand ME $300, I'd buy ammo........................;):D

Back