If I Handed you $300, What do you buy?

I would buy a bounty hunter 357. I have to 22 magnum 22lc bounty hunters I have a stainless steel Charles Daly 45 Long Colt. The pieta has a 30 ounce trigger pool the bounty hunters are 4lbs

Last edited:
I have noticed the Model 10's have jumped quite a bit in price in my area. You could pick up a nice one just a couple of years ago for $200-$300 range. Now they have hit $400-$500 range. There is a nice pre-model 10 in the showcase of my local gun/pawn that is over the $550 range. I love old revolvers, but not that much.

It's a difficult exercise.

There's really a tremendous amount of viable semiautomatics in this price range, but almost no revolvers. If the purpose of the thread allowed, I'd certainly recommend a semiauto instead.

Anyways, you could take your chances with a Taurus or Rossi. There's even some stainless models in this price range.

An EAA Windicator might be an option. I haven't fired one, but they get ok reviews.

I'd skip RIA/Armscor. A lot of them tend to spit or have issues.

The Ruger Six series recently spiked hard in price. They aren't currently any cheaper than used current production models. I wish they were still a steal.

The best option would be to go donate plasma a couple times or eat ramen for a couple weeks and pick up a S&W J-frame for a little more money. They can be found in the low to mid $300 range, which isn't far off.

From there, that leaves the abused and antiques, but those are risky.

You could probably find something like an H&R top break, but they are chambered in weird old expensive calibers you'd have to order online. And you couldn't fix it if it had issues.

If you found something else cheap because it was beat up and rusty, you might be lucky, or there might be other issues. One thing about revolvers is that if you can even get parts, there's a chance that the parts will require hand fitting. Expensive hand fitting.

When my friend was revolver shopping at a gun show with me he found an older Taurus Model 66 for $300. Those older Model 66's tend to be good ones. He also found a used Armscor for $180. Both were in good shape.

The days of widely available $200 used K frames are long past; I am assuming that those comments are attempts at comedy.

I am also assuming that we are sticking to absolute max $300 OTD. There is not much you can get for that price by running out to Academy and buying something brand-new. Those little Heritage SA 22's come to mind.

For Gunbroker, $300 OTD would be a $250 or less winning bid - plus about $25 shipping and $25 FFL fee. This is not impossible, but it takes patience. In the past few years I have found some in this price range, but in each case it took patience - usually a couple of months of "stalking". I will list some below.

Two HR/NEF snub revolvers in 32 H&R magnum, both in very good shape, each less than $150 winning bid (I wanted to check out the caliber). A Charter Arms 32 H&R magnum snub in excellent condition for around $220 winning bid - apparently no one wanted the pink one. Two 100-year-old S&W revolvers with poor finish for winning bids of less than $150 apiece - a 38 special K frame and a 32 long J frame - they are both ugly, both work fine, and the 38 was a long search indeed. A Ruger Single Six with poor finish and a small part missing for around $125 winning bid - all it needed was a bottle of cold blue and $25 worth of parts (my crowning achievement in bargain shopping, and it was a VERY long search). There were also a couple more 22's. (I won't get into the semiautos, but I have also scored quite a few of those for $300 or less OTD.)

If someone wanted one right away, there are usually some older Taurus military surplus 38 specials for $200 or so. I think they are Models 80, 82, and 83? They might be kind of worn, but I would expect them to be functional.

It's true that you get what you pay for. But time, patience, and knowledge are also means of payment, and if you add in a moderate amount of money, you can get revolvers in that price range that function well.

Here is a gratuitous "after" picture of the Single Six 22lr. $125 bid + $25 shipping + $25 FFL fee +$25 parts and shipping + $10 cold blue = $210 total. You can see by the turn line that it has been shot a lot, but it locks up tight and is extremely accurate. Some days I shoot my Buck Mark better, some days I shoot the Single Six better.

ce23cb88-5049-46e1-9152-f110aea093e0_zpsv3kx2shl.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at a local place and I'm thinking finding a used .38 would be pretty easy under $400. Even new one. I just don't know if I could find one at $300. That isn't bad and it makes me fee I could get one even if I "ramen noodle it." Though it is hard to "ramen noodle" yourself on a ramen noodle budget already lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armscor 206
Taurus 85
EAA Windicator
Charter Arms Undercover might be found on sale for that price. Or online with a little extra to cover FFL transfer

at minimum a S7W Model 10 or a duplicate of

my granddad's Colt Police Positive Special 4".
Might take a look at the SPeer 135gr .38Special for loads.

For home defense and with $300, by far the most effective way to spend the money, in my view, would be outdoor lighting, and a few Beware of Dog signs.

A revolver would not be on my list with that budget...too little, too late.

Go for a Bulgarian Makarov, reliable and accurate piece and acceptable caliber. I think it is J&G has them for $299 currently. I paid way way less for mine back in the day.

Go for a Bulgarian Makarov,
WOW, a Bulgarian Makarov REVOLVER!
I gotta get me one of them!
If I Handed you $300, What do you buy?
If you were handed $300 to buy a .38 special or other home/self defense revolver...could you find one you would be ok with? And what would it be?

Back