If I Handed you $300, What do you buy?

stonewall50

If you were handed $300 to buy a .38 special or other home/self defense revolver...could you find one you would be ok with? And what would it be?

I got my Model 10 used online and I think it was barely $260.

Edit: actually looking it up it was about $350. My mistake.

Last edited:
The only revolver I've bought for less than $300 recently was a High-Standard Sentinel, 22.

I did get a Tisas 1911 in 45 for $315.00 but of course, that's not a revolver.

Yes, the model 10 has been around for a good number of years and is frequently found used. I think cdnn has them for around $350 this time, I have seen them lower. Most of them are security/police trade ins, they have holster wear but most of them are still solid on the lockwork. The $350 price is still not bad if you can swing it, I like the heavy barrel models vs the thin barrels, just a preference. Also if you can find a Ruger they are also good guns to look out for.

I was quick on the trigger and went ahead and bought it this past December. It is a S&W Model 10-6 (4" heavy barrel) trade-in from the Mobile, AL Police Dept. SWAT. With sales tax (10%), it came to $298.71. You can keep the change and simply send me the offered money preferable via a postal money order.

Thank you so much for your generous refund of money already out of pocket. ;)

If you were handed $300 to buy a .38 special or other home/self defense revolver...could you find one you would be ok with? And what would it be?

For that, I'd be looking at a basic Taurus 85. Or 605 if I could swing it, which I probably could not for $300.

I'm not thinking of any used guns.

Yeah, $300 won't go too far these days but I would look for a well used M&P Smith or a Colt OP or PPS.

Last year I bought a 5" Colt Army Special 38 from 1924 for $275 and while it looks bad it works just fine. I also bagged an M&P with a shoddy refinish but perfect function for $259.

Not easy but it can be done.

Howdy

You would be hard pressed to find a Model 10 for $300 in these parts. I only paid $125 for this 10-5, but that was quite a few years ago at this point.

54_zps301988d1.jpg

Model 10s seem to be running around $450 - $500 in these parts these days.

Just checked on line at the biggest gun room in New England, seems there is a Model 10-6 for $400 and a 38 Military and Police for $525, but I have no idea what their condition is.

I actually only own two Model 10s, but I have a bunch of their predecessors, the 38 Military and Police.

This one is from the 1920s.

MampP5inch01a_zps15c88c9d.jpg

This one shipped in June of 1939. Love the round grip frame and the hard rubber grips.

MPRoundButt01-1.jpg

This one shipped in March of 1950.

snubnoseMP01-1.jpg

This is a pretty early one, it shipped in July of 1908.

Model19051stChange-1.jpg

Then there is the 38 M&P Target model, the predecessor to the K-38, and that was in turn the predecessor to the Model 14. This one shipped in February of 1917. Check out the tiny adjustment screw on the rear sight.

MPtarget01_zpsed256824.jpg

I'd post more but we can only attach six photos to each post.

If you keep an eye out you may be able to pick up an old ruger six series... Security or service six. I picked one up for about $360 a few years ago off gunbroker. That includes shipping and transfer fee. I found a few right at the 300 mark but I was picky on barrel length, wanted a pre '78 model, etc. If you aren't picky you may be able to pick one up for right at 300.

Either that or the model 10 as has been mentioned.

Back