If I could own 1 pistol, I would buy a . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar

I would like to buy 1 pistol for target shooting, home protection, etc. I am currently considering a SIG P226, an HK USP and a Glock 35 (each in a .40 S&W). I value accuracy and quality, but my budget won't permit a H&K P7.

I have heard very good reports on all of these brands/models. Any opinions? Any other guns/calibers I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

P.S. Confession: I also own a S&W 686 (.357), but I need a smaller auto.

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited August 24, 1999).]

Rock River Arms Bullseye model in .45 caliber.
Meets your target/accuracy criteria.
Would be reliable with proper target ammo, and even target ammo in .45 would make for a okay night stand pistol. But I'd rather have a 12 guage in the corner...
Joe

------------------
Go NRA

If accuracy is what you're chiefly interested in--get the SIG.

If ruggedness and reliability are your main concerns (plus a pistol that'll eat almost anything, not to mention an excellent all-around gun), and you don't mind paying the extra amount (cheapest I've seen is $525 at a police supply store in Ft. Laud)--get the USP.

If the price tag is your primary focus--get a Glock.

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

Oscar,

Gun to hand fit is very important. Before you make your purchase, try to get your hands on each model and check for things like balance, pointability, and trigger reach.

The Glock has an edge in the availability and affordability of accessories: night sights, holsters, magazines, caliber conversions, et cetera. If you plan to reload, however, you might find that the Glock has the drawback of a loose chamber.

My personal choice would be the Glock 35, but I would feel well-armed with either of your other choices as well.

I think any of those would be great. Do the obvious and try to shoot all and then pick the one that feels the best.

I personally don't like the grip angle on Glocks. They point unnaturally high.

A COMPACT H&K SOCOM (With Suppressor)!

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I've been watching this thread and like Oscar, I want to target shoot. Most anyone can pick up a handgun and cause a deadly shot. I want to learn better than that. I've used several different handguns and I'm doing good with few and not so good with others.

A friend told me to start shooting at 10 yards or less. Place all shots in the same hole. When I accomplish that, move back three yards. Practice there and accomplish the same thing, then move back another three yards. I've been trying to use this technique with a 9mm. Given the same distance and situation with the .45, .44 and the .357, I have much better results. I've been using the 9mm because it is the cheapest to shoot, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. It does not sit comfortably in my hand and besides that it hurts my hand to shoot it.

I have until October to decide what I want to buy. That's when the gun show comes to town.
;)

[This message has been edited by LadydeeJ (edited August 24, 1999).]

Thanks to you all. Your advice is most appreciated. I am especially appreciative to George Hill for his thoughtful response. Can I borrow 2,000 bucks? I'm good for it.

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited August 24, 1999).]

Given your choices I would go with the USP40. I own a USP40C, the fullsize would be even better for target shooting. I own a Glock 23 also and I cannot shoot it as well as the USP. I don't like the manual of arms for the Sig so I've never owned one.

LadydeeJ, If you can hit with the other calibers and not with the 9mm, it sounds like the model. What 9mm are you shooting?

------------------

LadydeeJ,

I don't know much about the Makarov, but if you don't like it, there are many 9mm out there to choose from. Many like Glocks which have a unique trigger mechanism, every pull the same. Like I said earlier, I don't shoot them as well, but their subcompact frame(26 in 9mm and 27 in 40SW)are a great concealable gun for about $450. A truly unique pistol is the H&K P7M8. It has a squeeze cocker mechanism which sets up a very smooth, crisp single action trigger. They are very accurate and once you practice with the squeeze cocker it becomes second nature when you draw the gun. The downside is this piece is expensive. Factory refurbs are $699. Brand new they are about $1000! The other choices are typical DA/SA models like the Sig, Beretta, and H&K USP, except the USP can be setup to be DA Only. These all cost about $550 or so. I used to own a SA Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. This was really nice also; one gun I regret parting with. Good hunting for your new 9mm!!

------------------

If the weapon of choice is to be versatile, as well as reliable and accurate; then I most
likely would choose the Sig-Sauer P226 in
9m/m caliber. This weapon, along with the
excellent P228 (in 9m/m) are being phased
out of the civilian sales market. Also, at
Sig; they expect to phase out the P220 to
civilians by the end of this year. So, as
an added bonus GO FOR THE GOLD !!!!

one pistol, Id take either an N-frame smith 4" barrel in either 357, 44, 45 caliber, and most likely would go with the 44 mountain revolver, or a 4"629 with out the underlug...versatile ammo either 44 spl or 44 mag. and it can handle anything I need.

Ladydeej,
Your friend's advice is a good way to learn to shoot accurately, but 10yards might be a bit much, I started out about 3 to 4 feet drawing and shooting, and when I was comfortable I moved it back to about 10 feet and kept at it till i could shoot a ragged hole and just kept moving it back 5 feet at a time, eventually you wont be concerned with one hole groups, just first shot accuracy and on your follow up shots concentrate on shooting fast enuf to space the impact points about 6" apart and practice your presentation and practice realistically.......its not the first shot that counts, its the first hit that traumatizes your opponents nervous system which forces your opponent to cease hostilities. An opponent is different than a paper target, while there is no bullseye on an opponent with practice you will learn were to hit. Between the nipples or at the bend of the elbows are guides to use... For a training aid, take old shirts and cover the target, you most likely wont see the bullet strikes and you dont want too, watch the sight. Looking at holes in paper targets and hitting things that explode or break or ring (as in steel plates)can give shooters the wrong evaluation of there skill. How many times at the range shooting do you see people pull there target up to were they can see the holes?, you'd think they know were those shots went. Sorry for the ramble, didnt mean to get carried away.
This isnt to say that all those things that break , ring, or explode arent fun, and might have a place in training, ---vary your targets and barriers and distances, ....did it again,,,sheesh,,,,best of luck to ya..fubsy.

Thank you so much Fubsy!! I copied your response and printed it out...hope that's ok. I liked all your pointers. I circle around my shots with an ink pen everytime I unload. This gives me the chance to see what I'm doing wrong. NO ONE at my range does that. I really don't think they care. They've been doing it for so long, I guess they don't need to.

The reason I'm at 10 yards is because that is the least amount I can move up at this range.
When we shoot on private property, I move up closer.

Thanks again for the pointers and thanks to the rest of you for advice on what I should buy.
J

[This message has been edited by LadydeeJ (edited August 26, 1999).]

ladydeej,
No I dont mind if you print it out, by all means if it can be of use.
Its not a necessity to get trained by the big names, but it definitely is a plus and if you can is a great place to start. If you cant dont let that discourage you, there is usually instrutors available who have trained at the larger schools in most areas....the schools I refer to are, John Farnams--Defense Training Int., Massad Ayoob's lethal force institute, John Shaws school, gun site, thunder ranch, and there are more that Im not aware of, there are seminars put on by these very people in different areas of the country that you could arrange to attend instead of the expense of visiting those schools for a week or weekend, although that would be a the best way to do it. There are people out their like Lewis Awerbuck who does seminars but I dont believe has a school, he taught at gunsite under cooper and is extremely knowledgable and a superb teacher. Until you can do that(it should make a great vacation), there are books put out by the various people that teach at these schools, my personal favorites are the "street smart gun book, by John Farnam", and "the truth about Self Protection, by Massad Ayoob"---these are inexpensive about $10 or $15 apiece, they contain a wealth of knowledge, they are dated, but the core still applies today. Massad Ayoob has several books out and ive learned from all of them, besides they are good reads....lol....(yeah Im a founding member of the "one of them" club, lol...).
Do what ever you have to do to improve your skills including marking your targets, the heck with everyone else, dont be common be exceptional, dont worry about the norm, you can flat out out work 85% of your competition and outtrain, outpractice the other 10%, and at that point your in some pretty rare company--that top 5%--thats when it gets hard, and at that point your usually fighting yourself.
What ever pistol you decide on, figure out what kind of parameters it will have to fit and which one you cant compromise with and use that as y0ur basis for a decision, such as I want something I can carry all the time.....look at how your going to carry it....I know folks that have the nicest 45acp's money can buy and they leave em at home, I know folks that have one gun a smaller frame revolver that goes everywhere with them, its the gun youve got with you that will help you, not the one that is home. One other thing and ill quit, get quality in your firearms and holsters and belts, if you are preparing to use this as a self defense firearm you want this to last and too work everytime--this does not mean the most expensive. I personally like the Kiss method of selfdefense...I going to quit att.......good shooting...fubsy.

Printing again :D :D Thanks Fubsy...speaking of ranges...I'm running late!!!
My E-mail is HugaBug@disknet.com if you have any other good tips feel free to write. I'll try to find those books. I've been reading commentary by Jeff Cooper (on-line).

Late, Late, Late for an important date :)
J

LadydeeJ you might want to try Birchwood Casey Shoot*N*C targets. These are adheasive bullseyes that have a black material over a neon green background. When hit, the black material flakes off, and leaves a neon green circle around the hole.
I just started shooting handguns and this make it very easy to see where you have hit the target. Even .22 bullets are 25 yards are easy to see.

That is cool Cnemeth, and I can purchase these anywhere?
Those would be perfect for me and especially my dad.

I wish my scanner were fixed. I would scan my 3 targets from yesterday using the Colt .357 My Dad can't shoot any better than I can. We mainly just go together to practice. Luckily there was a guy there yesterday who watched me shoot. He helped me so much. You guys should see my targets. Yahooooo!!!

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back