IBS anyone?

First loads

I'm working on a 300 weatherby at the moment--but I did manage to sneak in a few of my very first 30 BR development loads using the fire-formed brass while out testing the weatherby. I only managed a couple of 5 shot groups @ 208 yds before having to pack it in as a line of thunderstorms were moving in according to the weather radar.

I didn't do any sorting of the brass or bullets--and using a savage axis receiver and bolt probably knocks a bit of concentricity off the cartridge upon chambering--but the accuracy and consistency are nonetheless quite compelling. I am a believer that a 1-hole .0x group is probably no exaggeration with the right gear and components.

The 115 bergers are not in the same class as the custom BIB or Bart bullets from what I've read, but they did good for me out of my barrel.

This is the first 5 shot group--the shot on the right was definitely my clumsy fault.

attachment.php

Here's the next 5 shot group, this time I managed to hold things together better.

attachment.php

Experienced match shooters probably are accustomed to this kind of performance. I've shot some other very accurate and consistent cartridges--but not one like this in my experience.

Attachments

• 30BR 115 berger 208 yds 33.4 H4198.jpg
    30BR 115 berger 208 yds 33.4 H4198.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 30BR 115 berger 208 yds 33.8 H4198.jpg
    30BR 115 berger 208 yds 33.8 H4198.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 141
wait a minute, what is that other hole?

are you one of those "that's a flier" guys?

just kidding. that's good shoot'N

but i hope that was a zero'ing shot, and not a "flier" i don't believe in fliers, and that is one reason most of my groups are nothing to talk about.

wait a minute, what is that other hole?

are you one of those "that's a flier" guys?
LOL--yes--I'm one of those guys.:D Except that in this case I know it was specifically me that screwed up the shot; I didn't hold the rifle on the bags properly and rolled the rifle as I pulled the trigger. It happens--a lot, actually--when I shoot off the sloping hood of my pick-up truck; which is how I shot these. In other words it wasn't the rifle or the ammo that caused the aberration--it was me.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 138
The 30 BR has some unique characteristics unto itself. While fire-forming the brass I made a point of rapid firing 20 cartridges to the point the bull barrel got very hot--upon examining the bore I saw no signs of incipient heat-cutting or cracking.

BTW George--with the 115 gr bergers @ 34.2 grs of H4198 I was getting around 3,040 fps. I was getting no pressure signs or bolt stiffness/extraction problems.

That performance is impressive.
You're making me want one. Except there's nothing to do with one around here. I need a heavier projectile and/or more velocity to meet power factor for the stuff in this area. :(

frank you could always squirel hunt with it. ;/

but that is a heavy enough pill to put down a lot of things with that kind of velocity. except i'm sure it evaporates pretty quickly. bc is what just over .3 G1 ?

I need a heavier projectile and/or more velocity to meet power factor for the stuff in this area.
That was my first reaction as well, I thought it would be a one-trick pony limited to just one competition format.

One day while doing time making 30 BR cases, I had a few 7.62 x 39 cases in the same tray and it struck me that the two cartridges were not very far apart, it occurred to me that the 30 BR was sorta a "super AI 7.62 x 39.":)

I'm not sure why--or perhaps I made an error in sizing and turning the brass--but the Petersen brass after fire-forming remains dimensionally somewhat different from the Lapua brass; I found that the internal capacity appears to be significantly less. I'm speculating the head/web area is probably thicker in spots. I'll have to cut some in half to find out.

Debby is moving through Maine right now--but for a brief moment there was a backing off of wind and intensity of rain--and I thought, "why not go shoot?:)

Probably not great for the equipment, but good practice for less than ideal conditions (I guess). I think I have found a good node for the 115 bergers at 33.8 grs of H4198.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 30BR 115 berger 33.8 H4198 258 yds.jpg
    30BR 115 berger 33.8 H4198 258 yds.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 131
Back