I want to start a discussion about Magnum revolvers.

ruggyh,

I bought the 500 JRH used. It is a Freedom Arms M83 that was converted to 500 JRH by Jack Huntington (JRH Inventor). It is one gun that I’ve always shot very well (for me anyway) – the 5” barrel and excellent trigger make it work for me.

As mentioned above, my hand strength is deteriorating with age, so I’ve equipped it with a set of Pachmayr grips. The factory winewood grips just don’t give me enough purchase to handle even moderate loads. I know the Pachys are an abomination to some, but they allow me to enjoy this revolver – it is a blast (pun intended) to shoot. Very versatile – can be loaded mild (350s/440s at 900 fps) to wild (440/470 at 1,300 fps). These days, I stay on the mild side.

The only problem is brass (Buffalo Bore is EXPENSIVE). You can modify 500 S&W but in addition to trimming, you have to turn down the rims for the FA conversions (trim only for BFR & Ruger conversions as cyls will accept larger rim).

Here’s a target I shot at 52 yds, rested on the tonneau from the back of my pickup. Only shot three round groups to minimize target clutter and reduce recoil induced error. The groups were shot with a 4x Leupold.

Zoom_zpsf508d7fa.jpg

Closeup of the 4 (3 shot) groups in the center of the target
97d0526f-94d2-406c-9bd7-3e155ad432f3_zps2e7d1481.jpg

Paul

Paul

Thanks for your reply

Gotta get me something with that octagon barrel, that look is so nice to me.

I have several 500 JRH myself, one Ruger conversion done by Jack and 2 BFRs that are now being produced. I had Jack reshape the grips per his recommendation on the BFR, it definitely improved my control. Still learning how to control these single actions, hopefully I will be able to produce a target like yours someday.

Thanks again for sharing

be safe
Ruggy

I have a 7 1/2" SRH in .454. I've only shot it with .45 colt and Hornady .240 gr. XTP loads in .454. I love the versatility of going all the way from cowboy action loads up to "big magnum" levels with one gun. I specifically went with this model due to the milled in scope bases and included rings.

I have no need or desire to go bigger or shoot really heavy/hot loads like Buffalo Bore.

That is definitely a desirable trait of the platform, but then that can be said of almost any revolver if the shooter reloads.

My biggest is a BFR in 454 Casull. The 5" barrel makes it very portable, and still with more power than I really need for anything in the lower 48. Using 45 Colt cases, I load a 340 flat nose gas checked bullet to 1200 fps. It even comes with its own rail, so you can use it with irons, red dot or scope. The scope makes it too heavy for good offhand shooting, so I have tried irons and red dot. Both work very well!

BFR454_zpsa7364513.jpg~original

BFRw45s_zpssdladmr5.jpg~original

I have a Ruger Accusport Bisley Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP - not in the same league as the true big guns in this thread, but exceeds 44 mag in the "Ruger Only" handloads.

For that matter, I guess my pair of old model Vaqueros in 44 Mag can handle above standard Ruger Only loads, but the plow handles are pretty painful for me at that level, so I don't go there.

Back