I want to start a discussion about Magnum revolvers.

Even if you decide you do not think you want a Freedom Arms single action....at least visit a shop in area that has both models so you can evaluate the differences in the grip....between the 97 and 83. But i don't think they will make a model 97 in any caliber heavier than .45 Colt....

Freedom arms website describes both models ...and field vs premier grades...and options, etc....and prices are there too...

I shoot my freedom arms -- probably once a month...and probably have around 6,000 rds thru it is all ( it was delivered in 2005 )....but i still love it every time i take it to range....their craftmanship is incredible !

Absolutely, my neighbor buddies was exquisite. I held it up to the sky on a bright sunny day, no matter the angle I could not see light through the cylinder gap.

Franken mauser, cool you got that hawk back! Id br curious what the rebuild cost you. Nice to know the option to bring and oldie back from the fray is there.
Yet again, you can chalk one up to Ruger customer service.

I paid $20 to have an FFL ship the SBH in a USPS flat rate box.
Included in the box was a request for a quote on what it would cost for the "new process" cylinder (all chambers reamed with same reamer, instead of six different reamers), as well as replacing every screw and spring in the revolver and "helping" the trigger out a bit.

With zero communication from Ruger (rather irritating), and nearly three months waiting, I received a package.

Inside was the rebuilt revolver and a list of the work done:
-Replaced barrel and front sight (wasn't necessary).
-Replaced cylinder.
-Replaced base pin.
-Replaced rear sight. (I actually want the old one back, but I'm not complaining.)
-Replaced ejector shroud (with steel).
-Replaced hammer (for an undocumented trigger job).
-Replaced locking pawl (not in the paperwork, but it isn't the original).
-Replaced all hardware (every pin, every screw).
-Replaced all springs (undocumented, but they aren't the originals).
-Full refinish and re-blue.
-Shipped back via 2nd-Day Air

And a target showing a 15-yard 0.6" 6-shot group. :D

Ruger charged me $0.00.

So, my original frames and grips. Nearly everything else was replaced. And the whole shebang was completely refinished.

At the time of the following (less than stellar) photos, it was a brand-new, 20 year-old revolver, after untold thousands of rounds were sent down the original barrel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

454 and 480/475

I believe if you want to step up in power, go with a 454 Casull or 480/475. If your shots are long go with the 454Casull, if you want bigger bullets go with a 480 or 475. They have single or double actions whatever you prefer. One revolver that is often overlooked is the BFR from Magnum Research. This is one great revolver and now has a choice of Bisley or plowhandle grips.

My suggestion to those whom may want to venture into the realm of big bores magnums and super magnums is find a way to shoot them before you buy.

You will also need to handload to get the full advantage of the one(s) you choose if you find these cartridges appealing.

I currently have and shoot 460S&W, 500 S&W, and 500 JRH but have had or shot 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh, 500 WYO and 500 Linebaugh. I have shoot 1 cylinder of 500 Maxium and found it to over the top for me- not the recoil which is harsh, but my lack control.

Personally I find double action grip more shooter friendly though I have single action in all those I have listed above.

I chose to reduce my shooting to .452 and .500 years back to better control my loading components inventory.

No doubt that the custom single actions are nice to look at, my main concern is how they shoot and even more so how I shoot with them.

My personal favorite to shoot is 460S&W, also my favorite for hunting (it does have a drawback- requires hearing protection). My favorite to look at is my 500 JRH Jack Huntington Ruger conversion.

In the end get what you like - if you don't it wont be shoot much.

and the new book out by Max Prasac (Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers) is a good read for those interested in getting into hunting with revolvers.

be safe
Ruggy

P1030698_zpsb3879a47.jpg

Last edited:
One of my dream guns would have to be a .500 Linebaugh Maximum. Beautifully finished of course. Either all polished and blued or case colored frame. Barrel band front sight. Burled Walnut stocks. 5 1/2 to 6 1/2" barrel.
I know where there's one for sale if you have $4800. PM me if interested.

Much as I would like that, I am not in a position to do so at the moment. Other needs are more pressing. Our furnace/AC came over on the Mayflower.

Feel free to torture me with a picture if available though. :D

I with 50 Shooter,,,I bought the Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull many years ago and still hunt with it. Never had a problem. VERY accurate.

Bought a new S&W .460 and was NOT impressed at all with ANY factory load at 100 yards.
The TRB .454 shot way better,,,so I sold the .460

Jack, that is a beauty alright. Don't think I'd change a thing.

Max's book looks like a good one and I can afford that at least.

I've owned a number of the traditional Magnum revolvers, but just never became interested in the Giant .460 and .500 guns,etc. Years ago though, I did get to examine a Freedom Arms revolver or two in a shop that seemed to sell a lot of them, and always had some in stock. It seemed to me to be the finest revolver I'd ever handled. I had no real need for such a revolver then or now, but just wanted to own one. I later ended up ordering just what I had in mind. I wanted something similar in size to the Super Blackhawk, with barrel I'd had shorted to 5". I ordered a Premier grade .454 with 4 3/4" barrel and extra .45 ACP cylinder. Just the finest, most accurate revolver I have ever personally experienced. Still have no need for it, but it remains one of the last firearms I'd ever want to sell.

Drat! I just realized that maybe I should not have posted on this. I don't believe my revolver and ammunition bear the word "MAGNUM" anywhere;)

Attachments

• IMG_6102.JPG
    IMG_6102.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I'm a .357 fanboy. I own a GP100 and SP101. My next purchase will be a S&W 686 plus. That said, I'd love, love, love to get a 44 Magnum. My primary reason being I don't have one. After that, I'm leaning towards getting a 41 Magnum for the same reason I want to get a 44 Magnum. My son is saving to get a Desert Eagle in 44 configuration. He says I ruined him by allowing him to shoot one at the range the gut in the stall next to us had. He's hoping I leave my GP100 for him in my will.

So with all of your thoughts along with one or two of mine I think I may be leaning towards the ruger SRH in 454. A few reasons, 1. The SRH with the grey finish is very aesthetically pleasing to me, and we all know you cant be going off in the bushes with some ugly a** gun! 2. I already have 45 colt dies and molds so a little brass collecting and I'd be pretty set to shoot this boomer. 3. Im a fan of ruger revolvers, should I go with this it'd be my 4th ruger revolver. 5. It will accept a scope straight away.

Down sides.......umm.....it cost money...

If I were to venture beyond my 44 Magnums, I think it might be the S&W 460V, a 5" barrel gun. I have an 8 3/8" S&W 657, 41 Magnum with a scope and already know that a long-barreled, scoped gun is very tricky to shoot free standing. The 460V is more realistic to carry in an Alaska shoulder rig, and I expect it is big enough to handle the rounds. I find it appealing that the gun can shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt (in any level loading) in addition to 460 S&W Magnum.

I have taken note that about 1" of the barrel length is porting, so the real bore is more like 4". There is still the longer sight radius.

I reload, so these guns are economically feasible for me to shoot in any volume. The question would be whether I was man enough (or young enough).

Last edited:
I bought a Freedom Arms .454 Casull because I just really wanted one. I was still in high school at the time, and worked and saved for 2 years for it. I ordered it with an extra cylinder in .45 ACP so I could plink with cheaper ammo, but then I started reloading for it which nearly evened up the cost again.

Our county finally allowed us to deer hunt with handguns, and the first little doe I shot with it made me as happy as if it were a monster buck. I used a 250 grain Hornady XTP at 1675 fps. Still have some of those loads around, but the price of the bullets has gone up now.

Then I went through some dark days and couldn't afford to do any shooting at all. I'm doing better now, but still have frugal habits. Max loads need good bullets to take the pressure, and those are more expensive. So when I came across some 300 grain cast lead bullets for only 8 cents apiece delivered, I stocked up to make mild loads. They're pretty fun to shoot, and a 300 grainer moving 1200 fps (guessed; not chrono'ed) should still ruin any critter's day.

For full house loads, I like the Cast Performance 335 grainers (if I'm remembering correctly- maybe they were 325 grains?). These big slugs seem to recoil with more of a push than the sharp jolt of 260 grainers going 2100 fps. I took another doe with 'em (the 335 grainers), and that is still one of only a few deer I've shot that fell over dead on the spot.

I finally managed to buy a Freedom Arms 6” .454 in the late 80s. Shot it a fair amount over time. Have since added a .45 Colt cylinder. Still have some .454 ammo loaded, but the gun mostly sees Ruger level .45 Colt at this point.

Added a .475 Linebaugh in the 3rd Qtr of 2007. Was getting a bit older and figured if I was going to do big bores, I would have to start soon. Shot over 15,000 rounds (mostly 400gr +- at 1,150 fps) thru the gun over the next three years. Had a lot of fun and proved to myself that I could do it. Last full house .475 (420gr at 1,300 fps) I shot was a couple of years ago. During that same time period, I shot at least 20,000 rounds thru the little FA97 .45 Colt.

More recently, I have added a 5” .500 JRH and.480 Ruger 2 ½” snubby. Early on, I cranked these up to satisfy my curiosity regarding recoil. The .500 JRH is too much of a good thing with heavy bullets at top velocities, so it is now loaded more moderately. Nothing to sneeze at with 380 to 440gr bullets at 1,000 fps. The Ruger .480 isn’t bad recoil wise with factory level ammo.

I turned 70 last year, and the “big bores” with full house loads are no longer manageable for me – don’t have the hand strength to control the single actions. Still shoot/enjoy the guns but with more sedate loads.

Always wanted a 4” .500 S&W X Frame. Never got around to it and most likely won’t at this point.

I look back fondly on the journey and never regretted the choices I made. I enthusiastically say "GO FOR IT".

If I was starting out today, I'd buy the new Ruger Bisley in .480 Ruger. Practically speaking, the .480 in the Ruger doesn't give up anything to the .475 LB. You get a practical big bore in a reasonably priced platform that can be used as a launching pad to bigger bores if so desired.

The .475 and 500 JRH FAs.
Sorry for the pictures -- tried to enhance them via Photobucket - no luck.
8883da2a-09f8-44a4-aa59-3fd8538b35cd_zpsa6e8522a.jpg

790f54d6-7e0a-4ed5-be09-71ca02915203_zpse6913976.jpg

The .454
TSOBonM83_zpsa818f4f9-1_zps8c139f32.jpg

The .480
P8270003_zpse32f0371.jpg

Paul

790f54d6-7e0a-4ed5-be09-71ca02915203_zpse6913976.jpg

Very nice group of FAs. Those octagon barrel are like artwork. Are you enjoying the 500 JRH?

be safe
Ruggy

So with all of your thoughts along with one or two of mine I think I may be leaning towards the ruger SRH in 454. A few reasons, 1. The SRH with the grey finish is very aesthetically pleasing to me, and we all know you cant be going off in the bushes with some ugly a** gun! 2. I already have 45 colt dies and molds so a little brass collecting and I'd be pretty set to shoot this boomer. 3. Im a fan of ruger revolvers, should I go with this it'd be my 4th ruger revolver. 5. It will accept a scope straight away.

The SRH should be an excellent choice and if you want a scope, probably the best choice. I'm not sure that Ruger is still producing the grey finish but shouldn't be hard to find one. I like the Hogue grip better but that is a cheap addition for older guns.

This is the Ruger that has been nagging at me since I saw it at a local dealer though:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkBisley/specSheets/0871.html

It's not really much lighter than a SRH, not "optics ready" and more cumbersome to load/unload but it appears to shoot well and just exudes class. It looks like a much more expensive gun. I was curious if there would be durability issues but haven't heard of any problems.

Back