I want a 223 bolt rifle

If you end up getting a Tikka just don't tell anyone what the twist rate is. It's not worth it.

The OP said VARMINT. The Tikka Varmint is offered in 223 1:8 and 223 1:12. Not many companies recognize the dual market/mindset and give such a choice.

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-varmint

These guns are known to be highly accurate. They have some polymer, and I dont care for that. Then I dont care for 2x the price to get a Sako. It is a fair compromise and given a choice of remington or savage, this would be my choice. Fortunately, today we have cz. It seems to me CZ is filling the void for traditional rifles that Ruger filled in the 60's & 70's.

Last edited:
The Mini 1500 Howa is one to look at .Barret is coming out with some light weight hunting rifles . I use a Kimber which is also light weight .

Kimber makes an amazing 7mm-08 Adirondack. Light weight. These Adirondack are just so nice to hold. The looks is painted Kevlar or something. Not pretty in my eyes, nothing like real wood. But practical, all day long. Special scope rings are required. Talley only, right? It would be more versatile gun with a simple weaver style built in base.

I wish I could buy every gun I suggest for others.

My Ruger Scout ( chambered for .223 ctg) is a rugged, heavy compact rifle that is great for pig hunting or light bench shooting, however it will not produce the groups the American predator. You indicated varmint shooting so placing the scope in the conventional location on my Scout it easily will serve both roles better.

My latest .223 is a Remington M700 ADL package rifle with 4-12X40 scope that I picked up at Walmart for right at $400 with taxes right after the trigger recall. I'd never shot this rifle because I had always had plans to build something on the action (don't shoot the donor. Breaking a leg and being out of work for several months on disability changes a few things when it comes to building off an action.

This year I dropped the barreled action in a Mountain TI ADL stock from B&C that I got form Stocky's for $250 delivered the same year I bought the rifle. The stock had fitting issues so I took it to a local GS and had him fix the issues and bed the rifle for another $170. Slapped a Weaver Tactical 3-10X40 Grand Slam rifle scope on that I've had for several years.

The rifle so far has held less than an 1" at 100 yards on pretty much any ammo I feed it, factory or old reloads for other rifles. It's really liking the 50 grain Speer TNT HP varmint bullets and will stay sub 3" at 300 yards. I haven't had a chance to take it hunting coyotes or PD shooing yet but I have no doubts it will ruin either ones day if they find themselves in my crosshairs.

I went with a Kimber Longmaster Classic 1:9 twist. It is a bit finicky about bullets, doesn't like mid-weight stuff (50-60 grains) but with 40-45 grain and 63-70 grain bullets it is a one-holer. Nice looking rig too.

I went with a Kimber Longmaster Classic 1:9 twist. It is a bit finicky about bullets, doesn't like mid-weight stuff (50-60 grains) but with 40-45 grain and 63-70 grain bullets it is a one-holer. Nice looking rig too.

I love that rifle. I was thinking of that rifle when I built my semi-custom .260Rem with a Marlin X7 action. I have it in a Boyds Prairie Hunter walnut stock that I gouged out the barrel channel for a varmint weight 26" Shilen Select-Match barrel. Unfortunately it's been in the safe for years unfired because I need some bolt-head parts that I haven't picked up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A full size rifle will be heavier and maybe more accurate in theory but I like the Model 98 design and I like the action to be consistent with the size of the cartridge. So I have two CZ "Mini Mausers." One is insanely accurate (.5 MOA)
and I like the looks of the other with the full stock.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Point of clarification, Zastava is not CZ. Different country and different company.

The Zestava is a push feed with a cosmetic piece that looks like a claw extractor but is non functional. The action is not a Mauser, but; I guess they can call it anything they want.

I did not know they shot that well. Or 50% do. Interesting. And that is what counts.

I like the zestava mannlicher stock better than the CZ. The CZ has a hog back which is best with iron sighs. I see the zestava has a straight stock, best for use with a scope. I never saw one of the Zastav Mannlicher's in person. Are those still sold? I would be interested to see a photo of the bolt, just to confirm it is the same as the dismal, recent model, I handled at cabelas. That photo looks a LOT nicer!

Because you've asked:
Don't see a need in having a varmint rifle that capable of extreme yardage. Other than a wood chuck or a prairie dog. What other varmint stands still long enough for its hunter too precisely place his shot way way out there? To purposely wound only. Certainly is not stylish nor sporstman like.

My suggestion. Buy a light weight good shooter bolt rifle with a reasonable powered scope. Set a range/distance your comfortable with knowing what enters that area will suffer the consequences of death. "One shot one kill." As with any hunting situation needing more than a single shot that shooter has plainly over extended his shooting capability and needs to seriously consider fishing as his/her new hobby.

Again. Heavy rifles & scopes are not only cumbersome they also tire its tote'r and too what you bring into the field you also have to carry it out.

KISS__apply's to all hunting & hunters alike. Including those firearms we choose.

My suggestion. Buy a light weight good shooter bolt rifle with a reasonable powered scope. Set a range/distance your comfortable with knowing what enters that area will suffer the consequences of death. "One shot one kill." As with any hunting situation needing more than a single shot that shooter has plainly over extended his shooting capability

Well stated. This is my walking & hunting 223 rifle, 5.9lbs carbine:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

This varmint nice for the club or driving to a field and setup in one spot, 7.8 lbs:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-euro-varmint-223-rem/

The carbine has a 3-9x ultra light scope, 8 ounces, and light alloy rings and the varmint has a 6-18x vxII which is around 12+ ounces (more/less , I forget well under 1 pound) and steel cz rings.

The guns are accurate, sub moa, and a nice, old school fit and finish.

The cz is a proper mini action. Maybe tikka and I know Sako do that as well. I don't believe any of the others mentioned provide that. If you have the budget, then look at the Cooper and Kimber websites. I dont know enough to suggest about guns I never owned. I can endorse cz 527 as a good option.

I would not call Remington or Savage excellent anything, out of the box. Good maybe -not excellent. In that price & quality range, I would be perusing the Ruger website and see if the American could be had in 223. For higher accuracy expectations and quality, I would move up a level.

Last edited:
The only trouble with Tikka T3s is that they're boring. They shoot better than a lot of very expensive and/or accurized rifles and the bedding is perfect, so it's a waste of time/money to have them pillar-bedded.

I get so bored shooting sub-.5" groups with mine that I need to bring other rifles to the range to keep working on something. ;)

Picher has a point, regarding the Tikka. Like I mentioned earlier, if I needed another 223, the Tikka is what I'd get. It would be a T3 Lite Stainless with a 20 inch barrel. I am so pleased with the Tikka I have that I wouldn't even comparison shop. Buy it, scope it, shoot it.

That Rugar American is a nice rifle and seems it would fit the bill for what I am looking for.
Thank you guys for showing me a few rifles that I beleive I would like to buy.

Myself I prefer heavier barrel type rifles.
I had a CZ 527 with a beautiful laminated stock, the rifle was a nice little rifle.
I gave it to my youngest Grandson he sure likes it.
I don't believe I'll be buying any more rifles but if I was so inclined I would be looking at the savage models even though I'm not sold on their ACCU- Trigger.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Back