I Think This Needs Said Again....

There need not be any difference in speed. The safety is flicked off as the gun comes up.

I'd never carry chamber empty but a safety wouldn't stop me. If we were that concerned with speed open carry would be the way to go.

negligent discharges

"Glock type pistols seem to have more negligent discharges than other types."

I can think of half a dozen NDs that occurred locally with Glocks over the years, and in all but two incidents it happened when an inexperienced or distracted officer tried to disassemble the gun with a round still in the chamber . . . in the other cases somebody had their finger on the trigger when chambering a round. One shot the wall in the restroom and the other put a round through the window of the office (and then in panic lied about what happened, and got fired).

Some people just shouldn't have guns. And unfortunately, some of the people that shouldn't have guns are cops . . .

It really is as simple as keeping your head in the game when handling a firearm. No finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire, ensuring the firearm is clear before field stripping...etc. I had a Glock 26 that was my CCW for years, now a Kahr CM9, shot both alot and never had an accidental discharge. My duty weapon for the last 12 years has been a M&P 40 without a safety, before that a 4006, man I loved that gun..:D, anyway, no accidental discharge. With that said, there has been four accidental discharges with the M&P that I am aware of, all of them due to a finger being where it shouldn't have been.
This is not a Glock event, complacency with any firearm could end up biting you in the rear and if you need to lean on a safety as a crutch to compensate for your complacency....:eek:

Last edited:
I carry a double action .357 magnum revolver, so I always have one available at the pull of a trigger.

"Glock type pistols seem to have more negligent discharges than other types."

I can think of half a dozen NDs that occurred locally with Glocks over the years, and in all but two incidents it happened when an inexperienced or distracted officer tried to disassemble the gun with a round still in the chamber . . . in the other cases somebody had their finger on the trigger when chambering a round. One shot the wall in the restroom and the other put a round through the window of the office (and then in panic lied about what happened, and got fired).

Some people just shouldn't have guns. And unfortunately, some of the people that shouldn't have guns are cops . . .

Dude....we're not supposed to say that....didnt you hear Glock uses the safe action! Will somebody body get him a glass of koolaid....and don't water board him with it. He can learn!

I'll bet i could carry my 1911 condition 0 with the grip safety deactivated, but I don't!

JamesK
The real argument is not about loaded chambers but about carrying a single action auto pistol (or revolver) at all. If time is very short, it seems to me that even flipping off a safety or cocking a hammer will impose an unacceptable delay and increase the chances of making a fatal mistake.

I'll agree with that if you mean a SAA Colt or clone, but certainly not when you are talking about a 1911. :)

I know a guy that carries a hammer-less revolver on an empty cylinder, he has to pull the trigger twice to fire the first round. When I asked him to elaborate, he said he "wanted to be sure" or some such language.

I told him that he needed be sure before he even pulls his weapon in the first place. Sensing I was about to get into a urinating tournament, I let his next response stand, I figure if he's that unsure, maybe he won't even continue to carry.

The safety off on draw can be a problem when folks forget it under stress. I've seen it happen at matches - even to trained 1911 shooters. Stress bobbles your training.

The one time I was almost shot was by a guy screwing up putting his 1911 in his holster. Almost caught that one in my foot.

Back