I remember a guy ..............

Sometimes I change in the middle of the day. maybe several times. No big whoop for me.
Usually arm myself with whatever piece I see first.
YMMV of course.

Dragline45 said:
By your logic you are saying your friend, if he was indeed carrying the DA revolver, would have started pulling on the trigger before his sights were on target.
daddyo said:
Yes! Thats exactely what I do as well. As my front sight is making its way to the COM, I begin to take up the slack on the trigger. The triggers break should coincide with the sights entering that COM zone.

That goes against everything I have ever been taught and seems like the perfect recipe for a negligent discharge. Not sure who taught you this, but it is very unsafe.

My friend is trained the similarly. We have discussed this before.

And that is why your friend negligently and prematurely put a round into the ground instead of on target. That right there should have been the first inclination that it is poor practice to do so.

Last edited:
It's a lot easier to show than explain, but with a good four count draw and/or a punch or press out, that's a very effective way of staging the trigger. With those methods, the gun is aligned with the target from position two till position four. If your drawstroke is the old "swoop" from the top of the holster, I agree that your finger should be off the trigger till the sights are on the target. ;)

That goes against everything I have ever been taught and seems like the perfect recipe for a negligent discharge. Not sure who taught you this, but it is very unsafe.

If my intent is to open fire on the object I am drawing on, its not a ND its a miss. Don't remember who taught it or how I began using the method but it is effective and to date there have been no premature discharges either in practice or competition.

And that is why your friend negligently and prematurely put a round into the ground instead of on target. That right there should have been the first inclination that it is poor practice to do so.

The poor practice is to carry a firearm that you are not extensively trained in its use and who's trigger pull and weight is not what your subconscious will apply in a life or death struggle.

My friend was facing a man with a gun. A man who was spinning around in an appearent attempt to level his gun on him. You don't think 10'ths matter, try a one on one with an armed gunman. You will do alot at the subconscious level, autopilot so to speak. This means that the ability you have with 7 different guns will likely disappear under life and death pressures. As your subconscious kicks in to keep you breathing, it will revert to what it knows the best. Thats what happened to my friend. I have no reason to believe that you or I will be special and not have this happen to us as well.

I switch between my 1911 and glock 27 every couple weeks just for something new but I carry them in the same brand of holster in the same spot. As everyone knows you can tell the difference in iwb carry with a 1911 and any glock so I always am aware of whats on my hip and I train drawing and firing at the range monthly with both guns. When I was in the military we trained with a ton of different firearms and equipment and with enough training your muscle memory starts to take over and you don't really even have to think about the processes of the task your doing it just happens.

I just love to get old topics started once again.....my only response to the original post is: If you are carrying concealed then No One should know what your carry weapon is from day to day. The idea is concealed carry and the bad guy should be the first to realize you aren't just another sheep.

The idea is concealed carry

True. But I've recently begun to rethink the stuff I've gathered over the years. Most of them are safe queens, and now I'm wondering why?

The guns I currently carry are DA and I always carry them in open top, OWB holsters.

But I've got some guns that have never been fired. What's the purpose?

I've got a Jim Clark built 1911. I mean, this was done by the original Jim Clark when he was alive and well in Keithville, LA. I bought it in 1976 and it's maybe got less than 1000 rounds through it.

I've got a Gold Cup with less than that. For examples.

I think I'm going to start carrying these other guns as well. But obviously carrying a Clarkerized Colt 1911, one brings into action differently than a Ruger DA only SP101 revolver.

Hence, the question on my post.

Thanx for the responses.

I am trying to narrow down my EDC to one gun. I have recently narrowed them down to 9mm Glocks 26,19,17. I carry the 17 most days and generally carry either of the three in the same position. I was carrying revolvers but the weight became an issue. I then rotated between revolvers and semi. There are several who compare switching platforms to driving a manual shift car. I know there are times I try to press the clutch in my wifes car only to realize its not my jeep.

Back