I remember a guy ..............

daddyo said:
Different triggers? If so you cannot be as good as you could be if you carried the same gun or one of different size but the same trigger like the XD or glock.

Constantine said:
Agreed 100% with this. Consistent operation with the same trigger, triumphs changing them around. If you want to change around, train with the gun accordingly.

I'm just gonna hafta risk it. I reckon which ever one I'm carrying will go bang.

If only that trigger pull wasn't DA/SA, all those good guys would still be alive today. "LORD, WHY COULDN'T IT HAVE BEEN A PLAIN OLD SA TRIGGER".

I have absolutely no problem transitioning from DA/SA. Out of the 16rds in my gun only one is DA, after that I have 15 consistent trigger pulls. Do you really think the transition from DA/SA is the difference between life and death? I mean seriously.

My point was that folks die because they fail to put rounds on target before they are themselves mortally wounded. We train to increase our consistency in many aspects involved with getting off a good shot. When anything breaks down in that shooting cycle our shot isn't accurate or is less accurate. When our shot isn't accurate or is less accurate in a life and death situation it can and does lead to us loosing.

The SA/DA transition, is believed to cause a low/hi effect in impact points under stressful shooting situations. This happens with the first two shots, arguably the most important of a violent encounter.

So we strive for consistency because it leads to speed and accuracy yet many break this by changing guns or holsters or carry locations daily. Taken to the extreme this quest for consistency is applied to trigger pull.

You poke fun about it and thats fine. I'll stay with my consistent trigger and you keep that inconsistent one. You guys keep platooning your carry guns, I'll stay consistent. You guys keep rotating carry locations and holsters, I'll stay consistent. Will being consistent save my life in a life and death scenario, maybe. Will being consistent give me a better chance at survival, probably. Is consistency better than inconsistent, you betcha.

I'm just gonna hafta risk it. I reckon which ever one I'm carrying will go bang.

And you will likely fight well with it. We are talking slight advantages IMO.

Example......I carry openly at work (not LE). I practice drawing from that holster every day. I'm pretty fast and consistent with that rig. The other day I was out in public carrying in a fanny pack. I was just relaxing when a lightning bolt struck very close causing a huge flash and giant boom almost instantly. My hand went for my work gun subconsciously. While I loved that reaction, it made glaringly obvious what those experts say about consistency. Without thinking I went for the gun I draw most. It also would have cost me a few 10ths if that lightening was a bad guy jumping out from behind a dumpster or something. Sure I would have recovered and if not already incapacitated put up a fight but it does speak well for being consistent.

I would rather have those extra tenths than rotate my firearms for carry.

^ agreed, once again. Similar thing happened to me also.

I carry appendix style at work because I have to. I carry strong side 4:00 when IWB and 3:00 OWB.

That transition from 4:00 in to 3:00 out isn't concerning. That's how I've trained mostly. Appendix? Not so much. Waiting on a better holster from www.phlster.com I purchased the "skeleton".

My CCW is always in the same place no matter which one I'm carrying and all my holsters have the FBI tilt.

Nice, I'm not gonna lie. I wish I could always carry strong side. What I do at work doesn't permit me though. Rather carry appendix than get made or not carry at all.

My CCW is always in the same place no matter which one I'm carrying and all my holsters have the FBI tilt.

I always conceal carry in the same place as well. I just open carry more often while at work. The majority of my training is geared toward my biggest threat which is while at work. I do of course practice taking the gun from the fanny pack but not nearly as much as the ordinary draw from my strong side hip holster.

Still upon being startled I reverted to the most practiced position. This is why I believe that changing guns is a problem. Same position and cant is awesome but different grips and triggers is not.

I love my other guns as well but its not worth giving up any advantage to my adversary.

daddyo said:
I always conceal carry in the same place as well. I just open carry more often while at work. The majority of my training is geared toward my biggest threat which is while at work. I do of course practice taking the gun from the fanny pack but not nearly as much as the ordinary draw from my strong side hip holster.

Still upon being startled I reverted to the most practiced position. This is why I believe that changing guns is a problem. Same position and cant is awesome but different grips and triggers is not.

Here's where I have a very slight advantage over you. I also open carry at work and carry the same handguns in the same holsters in the same position that I CC. I just throw my shirt tail over the piece when I leave work.
Zero transitioning is very comforting knowing exactly where my handgun is at all times. And like I said before, they all operate in a similar fashion.

Here's where I have a very slight advantage over you. I also open carry at work and carry the same handguns in the same holsters in the same position that I CC. I just throw my shirt tail over the piece when I leave work.
Zero transitioning is very comforting knowing exactly where my handgun is at all times. And like I said before, they all operate in a similar fashion.

Agreed mostly. I know where my gun is however under a surprise situation I would rather have my subconscious reaction be to my duty gun. Again thats the area I believe to be my biggest threat. You certainly have an advantage while concealed carrying and under surprise attack pressures. I have worked hard to reduce the chances of a surprise attack by using Situational Awareness and limiting my exposure. Kinda a pick your poison situation. Since I can't conceal my duty rig out in public and I'm not prepared to quit my job, that is a definite hole in the defenses. Even if I carried strong side hip concealed, there would be the same delay causing hitch during any surprise attack.

I don't think its the smartest thing in the world to constantly change up your gear but its hardly a crisis. I would say that to the degree that its necessary due to season, weather, dress, then sure- but to wear a different weapon several days a week just seems very undisciplined.

Others can do as they wish, but I for one will stay with my trusted carry piece. I will never need to worry about where the safety is or isn't, whether it has a long or short slack pickup on the trigger, or how much pressure to apply to the trigger to make it go bang. The sights will always be exactly where I expect them to be, and I will never have to adjust my grip from firearm to firearm.

Others can do as they wish, but I for one will stay with my trusted carry piece. I will never need to worry about where the safety is or isn't, whether it has a long or short slack pickup on the trigger, or how much pressure to apply to the trigger to make it go bang. The sights will always be exactly where I expect them to be, and I will never have to adjust my grip from firearm to firearm.

Seems so much more sensible than satisfying the urge to carry all those lonely beauties in the safe.

As long as you don't activate the safety on a DA semi and only use it as a decocker there is no issue here. Each gun will work exactly the same when drawn. If you are used to flipping the safety off on a 1911 it won't hurt a thing if you go through the same motions and it not be there. The DA pistol and revolver are going to work exactly the same.

I used to worry about such things, but the older I get, and the more I have shot I've found it to be far less of a concern than I used to believe.

As long as you don't activate the safety on a DA semi and only use it as a decocker there is no issue here. Each gun will work exactly the same when drawn. If you are used to flipping the safety off on a 1911 it won't hurt a thing if you go through the same motions and it not be there. The DA pistol and revolver are going to work exactly the same.

I used to worry about such things, but the older I get, and the more I have shot I've found it to be far less of a concern than I used to believe.

I know a guy who carried DA Revolvers for nearly 2 decades. He had recently changed to the 1911 when he was forced to draw and fire on an armed robber as the robber swung around trying to level his gun on him. My friends first and only shot hit the ground between the two men and went through the robbers calf. He instantly dropped his gun and ran.

Now one could say that my friend just missed low. I say he reverted back to his DA revolvers trigger under that stress. Seems as if he likely began to pull on that long, hard, DA revolver trigger only to be holding a short, light, SA 1911 trigger. He says he doesn't know these days although I'd swear he told me years ago that he did just that.

So in this case his change didn't matter, he won. If the bad guy had chosen to fight back the ending could be much different because of that premature shot. Small little detail yet you can see the potential.

I know a guy who carried DA Revolvers for nearly 2 decades. He had recently changed to the 1911 when he was forced to draw and fire on an armed robber as the robber swung around trying to level his gun on him. My friends first and only shot hit the ground between the two men and went through the robbers calf. He instantly dropped his gun and ran.

Now one could say that my friend just missed low. I say he reverted back to his DA revolvers trigger under that stress. Seems as if he likely began to pull on that long, hard, DA revolver trigger only to be holding a short, light, SA 1911 trigger. He says he doesn't know these days although I'd swear he told me years ago that he did just that.

I don't see how if he was carrying a DA revolver vs the 1911 the situation would have played out any differently? What this story shows is your friend has bad trigger control and lacks proper training. By your logic you are saying your friend, if he was indeed carrying the DA revolver, would have started pulling on the trigger before his sights were on target. Whether he was using a DA revolver or a 1911 he would have put a shot in the ground either way. The problem with your conclusion is that is entirely based on speculation.

Even though I am used to shooting DA/SA pistols as both my carry and home defense pistols are such, my most shot gun is my Ruger 22/45 which has a SA trigger. I have yet to prematurely fire a round because I am used to a longer trigger pull, and that gun probably has over 10,000 rounds through it.

I am going to revert back to my example of driving a car with a manual vs automatic transmission. There was a time when I drove my manual truck just as often as my girlfriends automatic transmission sedan. Driving on the road can be a high stress situation where you often need to react quickly. Never once when driving did I mistake one for the other.

Last edited:
By your logic you are saying your friend, if he was indeed carrying the DA revolver, would have started pulling on the trigger before his sights were on target.

Yes! Thats exactely what I do as well. As my front sight is making its way to the COM, I begin to take up the slack on the trigger. The triggers break should coincide with the sights entering that COM zone.

If I wait to begin the trigger pull until the sights are fixed on the COM, I needlessly lose precious 10th's of a second.

My friend is trained the similarly. We have discussed this before.

My $.02, and worth every penny you paid for it:

Muscle memory is expensive to cultivate, in terms of both time and money ...... I am a man with very limited amounts of both.

I'll not jack with what I've spent so much to achieve.

One system, in one location. If the flag ever flies, I will revert to my training .... there will be no confusion, just action, and it will be the same action I have practiced tens of thousands of times.

YMMV. It's your car-see to it.

Agreed 100% with Jim Bob....

I have my muscle memory tuned to Glock/M&P and SIG beforehand..I took a class with a 1911 almost a year ago for giggles and under that little stress that external safety wasn't doing me any good because I wasn't used to it. Had the .45 ammo already, so grabbed my Glock 21 and continued.

Agreed 100% with Jim Bob....

Gosh, everybody's so agreeable lately ...... that's like the third time in 48 hours somebody has "Agreed 100% with Jim Bob...."

.... and it's just jimbob...... Proper nouns are capitalized...... I ain't exactly proper......

The screen name comes from a nickname I had in the Army many moons ago..... and it was often used as a verb- to "jimbob" something was to get it done, albeit not in the prescibed "Army Way" ("There's a Right Way, a Wrong Way, and the Army Way") ..... often involving various amounts of baling wire (the core to concertina wire, actually- great stuff, that), para-cord, 100 mileanhour tape, creative accounting and paperwork ....... not proper, but functional ......

Back