I now own a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special as of today.

Good gun. Good job. I had one for years. The more I shot it the better it got. When S&W came out with their .44 Spl. Night Guard I sold my Bulldog to buy one. Mistake. I got rid of the S&W too. Have fun and don't get sucked into thinking you need overloaded loads! The old .44 shooting a 200 grainer at 750fps. is all you'll ever need if you hit what you are aiming at.

I had a chance to fondle one a while back. I've never held a revolver that felt so good in my hand.
It's definitely on my wish list.

Great gun, keep the loads under 200 Gr and enjoy her.
I carry Winchester silvertips. Mine has had over 500 rounds and it was a primary carry gun for over 15 years when I worked in a gun store. Its still tight as the day it was new and never failed in any way.
Good choice.

Congratulations. Great gun. I have wanted one since the 70's when they first came out. I finally scratched that itch last year with a stainless DAO model.
While CCW holster choices are limited I foundout two interesting things.
1. A Theis Holsters IWB Hybrid holster for the Ruger SP 101 works like it was made vor the 'Dog.
2. And I just found this out yesterday. My DAO Bulldog fits surprisingly well in a DeSantis Nemesis I use for my Ruger LCR. What's even more surprising is how well it disappears in the front pocket on the pants I was wearing at thetime. Probably not gonna work that well in every pant, but it is easily carried discreetly if you have tge right clothing.

Had an old-school 3" tapered barrel Bulldog in the '80's. Lost it in a divorce. Liked it quite a bit, but only remember shooting it a few times. Back then, a 50-count box of ammo was expensive, and seemed to last forever.

Just bought a new Boomer Bulldog in black nitride. Had to send it back to CA because it arrived damaged; extractor rod was bent like somebody played Wyatt Earp and buffaloed someone. CA claimed it wasn't them, but they fixed it for free.

It's back now. DAO-only action is a little stiff to my much older, S&W tuned sensibilities, but it seems like a solid gun. Waiting until my monthly discretionary income allows for reloading supplies (closest I reload now is .44 mag) and a laser sight grip, before I shoot it.

44 Bulldog

Congrats or welcome to the family.I have had mine for about 10 years.I have always heard of keeping bullets light and I do cast a Lee 200 gr rnfp for it.They drop at 212 from my mold.I met someone else who has one like mine a Bulldog Pug and he loads the RCBS 225 swc.He said it didn't matter what powder he used it was a tackdriver with that bullet.

I have the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 Special. It's my back up CCW! Mine is blued with a comfy grip with pinky slot. Great carry!

Congratulations! The Taurus .44 Spl gives you approximately 100 lb-ft of KE MORE than the various J-frame/.38 Sple snubbies!

While the Bulldog is nowhere near as refined as a Smith & Wesson, for the money, for a .44 Spl, there is nothing else out there! Actual measured weight on my Bulldog is 19.6 ounces...that's VERY light for a monster .44 caliber. I have developed handloads using Matt's 250 grain lead hollowpoint that produces 350+ lb-ft of KE - actual measured chronograph numbers! With a 250 grain slug that's a LOT of close-range stopping power!

The Bulldog is little larger than an S&W J-frame, yes about 6 ounces heavier, but not so bulky as to not be perfectly suitable for concealed carry!

There can be no doubt that a .430", 250 grain slug producing 350 lb-ft of KE beats a .358" 158 grain slug at 220 lb-ft of KE! Nuff said!

Back