I need a new Savage!

Lol Stag!
You also have the precurser to the Manbun, the 338 Light Mustache... :D
I remember when it was all the rage. Couldn't open the forum without seeing about it.
Not going away, but has settled down.
I think it is now appreciated by the true marksman, rather than the latest/greatest mall ninja round.

I went long and hard on Savage rifles for years when introduced the new and improved versions with the Accutrigger. The trigger is excellent and they all shot very well!

I don't own any Savage rifles anymore since I bought my Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I didn't have a need for the Savages anymore as this rifle does what all the Savages did.

I also really like my CZ bolt action.

I've decided to start putting money into quality over quantity.

BUT, if you want a new Savage, you should buy one! Maybe one of the 10BA models in 6.5 Creedmoor for longer range shooting and target work - A lot cheaper than .338 Lapua (Which is an awesome round) and less recoil than .308. .308 (165 grain) and 6.5 Creed (140-147 grain) are basically neck and neck in bullet drop out to about 700 yards with the velocity advantage going to the 6.5. 6.5 also has less wind drift when compared to .308. After 700 yards, the 6.5 leaps way ahead of the .308. Plenty of people shooting to 1500 yards or more with 6.5 Creed.
I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor deer rifle. I am also about to pay off a Remington 700 5R Gen 2 Tactical rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The reason for leaning heavily toward 30 caliber is the fact that I have tons of .308 caliber bullets on the shelf. Don't really have any suitable powder for the 308 win, but I have plenty for a 30-06. And even more powder suitable for the 300 wsm. Although I am certainly not opposed to buying some faster powders for a 308. I have hundreds of bullets ranging from 165-180 grain in .308 caliber that would be perfect for the 308.

You also have the precurser to the Manbun, the 338 Light Mustache...
For off the shelf performance and relatively cheap reasonable availability--nothing else competes with it IMO.:D The new version from savage is a banger--but I also have one of their 300 win mags and not really that much difference in felt recoil between the two IMO. The LRH is a real-world light weight option for shooting the 338 LM without getting pounded. I've never shot anything like it or built with as many features standard in a low-cost mass produced rifle. Don't bother buying one--but if you get a chance to shoot one--don't pass up on the opportunity, it will definitely put a smile on your face.;)

I'll keep that in mind.
If i were to go to 30 cal, it would be a 06' with a break. Miss my old 110!

Kilo,
Savage has that 110 in 300 PRC. Might be interesting... :cool:

Or we could build you one. RCM necked down to 6.5. We could call it the 6.5 Mullet! :D

I'll keep that in mind.
If i were to go to 30 cal, it would be a 06' with a break. Miss my old 110!

Kilo,
Savage has that 110 in 300 PRC. Might be interesting... :cool:

Or we could build you one. RCM necked down to 6.5. We could call it the 6.5 Mullet! :D
you meanthe 6.5 PRC?

Savage makes a 12 FCV that has a detachable mag with the 26-inch barrel.
Basically the same rifle as the 12 FV but with the detachable mag hardware.
It lists for about $600, but can be found for less.

KiloT:

Cabelas and Dicks for sure and probably others carry non Savage listed version.

The 10T in 308 at Capella is 24 inch heavy barrel.

Along with smoother action, the older Savages had Bottom plate and the Top Bolt Release. I don't like the new setups.

There is a Field and Stream store about an hour from my house as well as a Dick's. I will mosey on up that way and see what they have once I pay off my Remington 700.

Kilo,
It would appear i was mistaken. Available in 300 WSM.
Which may still be a fun round for you.

I also see 280 Ackley... He he he... :D

Kilo are you going to the gun auction in Hughesville this Saturday? Some new in the box Savages including a 338 and 300wsm.

Better hurry cause Dicks is rumored to be ceasing all firearm purchases now...not just ARs....Dick move IMO (pun intended)

Kilo, I believe they just took the 24in 110 tac 308 off the site. It used to be there. The sku number is 57007. The 20in bbl is 57006. If you look up the 57007, just be sure it has the new AICS magwell as opposed to the Savage proprietary. Not a terrible mag, but it definitely is nice to have the AICS. I also have the 10rd proprietary on my model 11 scout and I've had rounds pop out of it previously. I did bend the tabs in a little, but I honestly don't use the 10rd magazine very much at this point because the flush magazine fits in hand so much better. And I don't really need 10rds in a hunting rifle.

Eh, why do the cookie cutter cartridge, when there are so many options out there?
Could always do 300 Dakota, 300-378 Weatherby, or better yet 3.82 Warbird.
If your worried about mag length, then the 300 Mini-Whisper.
Same principle as the Manbun, but larger caliber. :D

Stag,
Rifles?
What rifles? I sold them all. :rolleyes:

I don't care for anything made by Savage in a long action. One of the model 11's in any short action cartridge that looks interesting is the way I'd go.

I don't care for anything made by Savage in a long action. One of the model 11's in any short action cartridge that looks interesting is the way I'd go.
I don't mean to derail this thread, but I think it's still somewhat relevant, jmr40 why? Personal experience? Just curious what has you disuaded from Savages long actions?

I am thinking that the 110 Long Range Hunter may be what I end up with. Probably in 300 WSM. Maybe 308 WIN. The decision will most likely revolve around which one is available when I order it.

Back