I need a new Savage!

kilotanker22

I miss having a Savage rifle. Sold my last one to trade for something else. Need/want a new one. I guess need may be an over statement. I don't actually need anything.

So talk me into a new Savage rifle. Budget isn't too big a deal. Just took on more hours and a good raise.

I've had my share of savages--but the most impressive one by far for me is the 110 338 Lapua I just bought--amazing power, performance and accuracy that is well tamed in a pretty lightweight set-up. The only drawback is that to really take advantage of it's longer range capabilities you might need a scope costing several times as much as the rifle itself. It'll put many smiles on your face--I guarantee it.:)

I've got one of the Cabela's 10T specials... 24" heavy barreled tactical rifle. It has it's drawbacks but it's certainly a shooter... I was whacking the 1' plate at 700yds a few weeks ago. Accutrigger, Accustock, .308. $500.

I think the sale on the 12 FV is now over, as well.

I bought a .223 and a 6.5mm Creedmoor 12 FV for the $320 about a month ago and I got a Savage range bag and T-shirt as an after-market reward deal with each of them. When I went back to purchase one in .22-250, the sale notices had disappeared.

The new 12 FVs both shoot terrific and I am very pleased with each of them.
Even at the full $420 price, the 12 FV deal is still a bargain.

To do what with? You want a rimfire or centre fire?
"...don't actually need anything..." "I want one." is a reason.

Maybe a 110 Tactical in 308, a 110 BA Stealth in 308, 300 win mag or 338 Lapua. Maybe a 110 Long range hunter in 300 win mag or 308. Maybe a 12 LRP in 243 win. Probably one of the .308 caliber options to be honest since I have tons of powder and bullet options on my shelf already

You might think about an older one.

I got one that roughly dates to 2010. Its smoother than the two new ones.

Granted you have to put a good barrel on it but ............

The one I got was a BTH and its my favorite target stock as well, its not the wider one but it feels better.

To me, a new rifle would most likely be new to me but made decades ago. The most interesting Savage is the model 99 with the rotary magazine. For a bolt action I choose Winchester model 70. So get the Savage 99; it's a fascinating contraption who's inventor was probably a genius.

Well there is that anniversary one, realllly thought about it. But I decided to go with the 110 tactical 308 in a 20in bbl. AICS mags really sold me and after having a really good time with my MVP predator in 223, I want something that's gonna reach out a bit heavier/farther. And I handled it and it's honestly not has heavy as I thought it was going to be. The 10T was a bit of a thicker bbl and I was a bit worried about how heavy that one was as I wasn't completely looking for a bench only. The 110 tactical definitely has less heft. I'm looking forward to building into the exact rifle I want.

For plinking: 12FV in 223
For 1k yds: 12FV in 6.5 or if your a purest 308 ( have it in 308 and its just silly accurate)For ground hog genocide: 12FV in 22-250 or 223

Shoots good as is and later if you drop them in upgraded stock you just fall in lust all over again. Bolt lift and blind mag are the 2 things that will keep it from being love...but I have been known to lust for several years :)

I really dislike blind mags. Love the looks of hinged floor plate, but ease of detachable mag.

The 110 Tactical was at the top of my list in 308, until I noticed they don't offer it in a 24 inch barrel.

As stated earlier I am really leaning 308 caliber. Maybe a long ranger hunter in 300 WSM would work nicely.

I went long and hard on Savage rifles for years when introduced the new and improved versions with the Accutrigger. The trigger is excellent and they all shot very well!

I don't own any Savage rifles anymore since I bought my Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I didn't have a need for the Savages anymore as this rifle does what all the Savages did.

I also really like my CZ bolt action.

I've decided to start putting money into quality over quantity.

BUT, if you want a new Savage, you should buy one! Maybe one of the 10BA models in 6.5 Creedmoor for longer range shooting and target work - A lot cheaper than .338 Lapua (Which is an awesome round) and less recoil than .308. .308 (165 grain) and 6.5 Creed (140-147 grain) are basically neck and neck in bullet drop out to about 700 yards with the velocity advantage going to the 6.5. 6.5 also has less wind drift when compared to .308. After 700 yards, the 6.5 leaps way ahead of the .308. Plenty of people shooting to 1500 yards or more with 6.5 Creed.

Kilo,
LGS to me has a previously enjoyed model 11 in 300 WSM for $319.
I'm seriously wanting to buy it!
Would be a phone call away from being a 7mm RSAUM!
I've also thought of necking down the 300RCM.

The 12FV (VT at Dick's and Field & Scream) goes on sale quite often.

And you have enough Manbuns already. Next thing i know you'll have it's son The Hippie (6CM). :D

If you don't like the blind mag, it's fairly easy to install PTG or CDI bottom metal on a Boyds stock. If you don't want to inlet the stock yourself, CDI will inlet your stock for free.

I did my Savage with a Bobby Hart LRT stock, PTG bottom metal, and an Apache barrel in 260 Rem, bedded both the action and bottom metal and have no complaints.

Back