I must be poor

I'm going to come at this from the other side. I'm nowhere near rich, but after many years of hard work we're comfortable. This allows me a certain expendable income that I spend on guns, equipment, ammo, etc. So I do have some high end firearms, mixed in with what I consider normal every day firearms and I enjoy all of them. Call me what you will but everyone feels good when someone compliments you on a firearm you've brought to the range and I've let several people shoot whatever I bring. The fun is having the conversation about guns that typically follows. Just because you have nice stuff doesn't mean you're a snob at the range. I still remember the day when all I could afford was one handgun and over time I bought different barrels for it to shoot multiple calibers.

Now all of this goes out the window at certain time of the year. In New England there is a gun forum for the area and several times a year a gun shoot is held. Usually cars are brought to a range and we blast the crap out of it. This time of year it's the great Pumpkin murder where hundreds of pumpkins pay the ultimate price for existence. A couple hundred shooters bring their best stuff. While the shoot is fun, seeing everyone's toys can be just as much fun.

To each there own, but anyone looking down on someone for not having the latest, greatest and most expensive just doesn't get it.

My op was tounge in cheek. I did get to shoot one of the fellows 50 cal barrett. I was expecting a shoulder breaker,but, it wasn't bad at all. I do need some FDE guns to be cool though.:D

We have a brand of shooter that comes out on the weekend. I call them the Tactical Tommies. Tactical Tommy wears all the latest 5.11 gear, chest pouch/plate carrier, (at the range), and has a heavily customized AR-15 with every geegaw known to man hanging off from the poor rifle. Tactical Tommy is usually accompanied by at least two like minded fellows, sometimes four or five, along with at least one to two giggly girls with pink hearing protection who never touch a firearm and shriek a little bit in mock horror at muzzle blast. Tactical Tommy then sets up his blaster, complete with 50 power scope, and lays down on his custom shooting mat, pops out the bi pod, takes a careful prone shooting position and proceeds to pepper the heck out of a target placed a dizzying 50 yards away.
The above is slightly tongue in cheek - I don't care how you dress or what you shoot, as long as you are being safe and having fun, and getting non shooters into the game is a major plus.

But sometimes the bubble has to be poked a bit.:cool:

Last time I was at the firing line with my BREN 805 and a 100 year old Spanish Mauser Guardia Civil in .308. I had a 3/4 steel IDPA target mounted at 200 yards.
Tactical Tommy was blasting away with his AR at his steel target, which was, being fair, at least 100 yards away. He hit it several times per magazine, too. Fair is fair. I took a standing position and with the Mauser, (not the BREN, that would be cheating), and with iron sights and cast bullet handloads I popped my steel at 200 yards five for five, then did it again. One shooter looked at me and complimented the rifle, (it was the rifle, of course, not me), while Tactical Tommy stood, mouth hanging slightly open. I didn't want to tell him that according to a rifleman's perspective what I did, if it were 100 years ago, would have been considered unremarkable save only if I had MISSED...then I might have caught a razzing. I still know that compared to REAL riflemen, I come in a far distant third or fourth.

That same day I did invite two of the Tommies to try out the BREN, which they took me up on, and found that it was smoother than their ARs. It ain't the price tag on the toys, it's what you do with them, and what your purpose is. If you are just going out to make noise, have a great time but please choose a different range...unless you'll let me have your brass. :D

The only time I've really been impressed with anyone's collection at the range was a guy who had a hand-made by him wall gun he was testing. Beautiful work all around. He started with a huge round ball, 2" maybe, then loaded it with various shot, and finally finished with a bunch of cap like cut up nails.

Duke,
You've spilled the secret: The special FDE paint on every Barrett absorbs about 1/2 the recoil. All the other paint colors don't help at all, and kick like a PO'd mule.

:D

Last edited:
g.willikers NAILED IT:
There is a danger in accepting an offer to try someone else's gun.
You might suddenly discover you really need one of those.

I never would have thought about buying a Barrett until I shot a co-worker's, blasting holes in 1/2" steel plate at 300 yards. Took 10 years to save up, but worth it.

money

I am constantly surprised by the cost of firearms these days, and of components and accessories as well.

I don't see how anybody can shoot very much if they don't load their own, and even reloading has doubled or more in cost.

You browse the "American Rifleman" or "Rifle" magazine and all you see is guns with four figure price tags.

A good Leupold scope is now a entry point,and a S&B or a NF is up in thousands as well.

Red dots at $600...

No wonder the price point guns sell. Seems about all every day folks can afford.

About 5 years ago I was at a very small (4 benches) rural range at a state park. I was testing my neighbor's new hunting hand loads (1gr over max...yes I realize the inherent safety issue in hindsight) for his S&W 500. A guy who looked a bit like Ned Flanders and his kids was pulling in while I was taking a little break.

They didn't stay very long after I resumed shooting. I also got yelled at by some fishermen when I left.

Back