I must be poor

I must be really poor....I don't have a M1 anything!! Appreciate what you have man.
Make room, I'm in the same boat. Most expensive guns I own are S&W 625 and a 686. I leave the Python out of the equation because I purchased it in 1981. Other than that all else is in the $500 range. As stated I'm thankful for each and everyone of them;)

Don't worry about what other people are shooting and simply enjoy shooting the ones that you have. I suspect most gun enthusiasts have many more guns and a nicer overall collection than me but that doesn't bother me at all. The guns I like the most have sentimental value attached to them.

I love to see everyone's cool range toys. If everyone just brought their AR's, AK's and Glocks, what fun would that be???

I love going to the range with rich guys... they usually don't mind if you go through a magazine or three of THEIR AMMO because they love showing off their stuff! Plus I really get to sample some really good equipment and it helps me make more informed buying decisions instead of whatever latest gucci marketing strategy is out there to convince dudes that they'll shoot twice as good for thrice the investment. Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous as all hell at what they got... but one thing I notice about my rich buddy shooters, they always come alone.

So let's put things into perspective. When my wife shows up, takes a classic Weaver stance with her G42, and puts a whole mag through the 10 ring, it's THIER turn to stare and be jealous!

No one is drooling over what I bring to the range, either.
Even worse, my offer to share is rarely even accepted.
Although most folks are too nice to actually show outright disdain after a glance at my stuff.
But I like my old clunks anyway, they have character.

lefteye

You have a good point about guys at the range with lots of expensive toys. I love the old walnut and blued patina of the old stuff but the synthetic stocks are more durable (mostly). I have a good friend (army vet,vietnam,82nd airborne) who says "let the boys have their toys it's how you shoot that counts"
On another idea there is a gunsmith in Winston-Salem,NC. Ricky Lee Evans who is still in business after some health issues. He is at 815 Wrights Farm Rd, Winston-Salem,NC. He has been doing this for over 40 years. He is in Clemmons,NC but has Winston address.

I love going to the range with rich guys... they usually don't mind if you go through a magazine or three of THEIR AMMO because they love showing off their stuff!

True! I got to shoot one guy's full-auto Bren machine gun. Another time I got to shoot an M16. I let folks shoot my AC556.

I started out poor. But time and good decisions changed that.

I used to have a gun in the beginning. It was a Czechoslovakian Model 98 that was purchased at Monkey Wards in 1963 for a grand total of $14.95 USD.

I was a teenage kid and my dad bought it for my birthday that year.

I was proud of it and still am some 50 years later.

I bagged a lot of deer with it and one Elk.

A I stated earlier about the good decisions, I have many more in the safe beside that Mauser.

The last time I was at the range, this guy was next to me with the fanciest tactical gun that I have seen in a while chambered in 7.62 with maybe 1000 rounds sitting on the shooting bench with him. All I had that day was a Rem 788 chambered 222 Rem. that was made in 1974 (a 41 year old gun).

I could not shoot until he had to reload his 20 round magazine because the brake on his fancy gun rattled by inerds so much that I was lacking concentration.

When he was completed with his range session, with gobs of new 7.62 brass laying on the ground, he packed up and left. He was supposed to clean up after himself, but did not. One of the range rules.

When he was gone, I glanced at his target and I could tell why he left in disgust. His target looked as though it was shot at the shotgun portion of the range with approximate grouping of 22" x 22".

I smiled and completed my task of two 10 shot groups of 3/8" C to C.

Fancy does not buy happiness.

What I have noticed is most of these guys are young, well funded , have all the techno-gadgets money can buy attached to their tactical guns , they shoot lots and lots of ammo , most of it just sprayed downrange .
None of them can shoot a 10 shot group into a 1 1/2 or 2 inch group if their lives depended on it. They are not proper marksmen...just shooters , ammo burners.
I was taught to shoot with a single shot, given one round and cautioned not to miss. You made each shot count ... good marksmanship and accuracy was paramount !
Gary

You have some nice guns, I wouldn't worry about what others think.

I was at the range about a week ago, was shooting my 1903 Springfield at the 400 yard gong. In between shots I hear one of the guys next to me tell his buddy "did you see that guy hit the 400 yard gong"? I thought it was funny because my .50 was on the bench right behind me.:)

Several years ago I was at my local range getting some trigger time with a couple of my STIs and in walk two guys all in black. Black tactical pants and black t-shirts. One was wearing a tacticoool vest with pockets and plenty of Velcro straps as well as a thigh holster. They unloaded an AR15 with every possible add-on and a pair of pistols. One a Sig and the other looked like an HK. All the weapons were solid black. I was 5 or 6 lanes over and really didn't pay attention to their shooting until I noticed one of them easing over my way. (I had been cutting out holes in my targets you could cover with a playing card with my STI Edge.) As I glanced across the range their pistol targets looked like someone was shooting a shotgun with a spread that went from edge to edge. I just smiled to myself and remembered that the gun doesn't make the shooter, the shooter makes the gun.

g.willikers said:
No one is drooling over what I bring to the range, either.
Even worse, my offer to share is rarely even accepted.

Isn't that the worst? LOL ...

"oh did you build that AR yourself?"

"Yeah I did! Do you want to try it?"

"Nah... not really..."

There are a lot of folks who are enthusiasts. For many of them the joy of ownership is having high-end stuff. For others having the latest and greatest is important. Some just want to be able to make a lot of noise very quickly. Others just want to be able to tell you how much they have spent. None of that bothers me a bit as long as they don't endanger me or anyone else. Whether they can shoot tight groups or loose patterns is not my concern. I make a point of avoiding these folks, although I am happy they enjoy and own firearms.

Then there are the enthusiasts who love guns, and shooting well. I think that describes many of us. I have a couple of friends who may show up at a range with an enviable collection, the value of which approaches the cost of my house. Anyone dismissing them as unknowing, mall ninjas will quickly learn they are not.

My collection is modest by enthusiast standards. I have what meets my needs and budget. How that compares to others really makes no difference to me.

And yes, unless I know you and your self "built" AR I will thank you for the offer and pass.;)

And took forever to reload what with pouring the powder, putting the patches, setting the ball, placing the primer....

Placin' a one of those newfangled thingamajigs? BAH! Just sumthin' else to have to buy ...... knap the right rock just right, grind your own pan powder .....
...... ;)

There is a danger in accepting an offer to try someone else's gun.
You might suddenly discover you really need one of those.

Ain't that the truth. I had no idea I wanted a little SA Kimber until I shot one a few times. I really need one now even though it is considerably more money than I am willing to spend...

Placin' a one of those newfangled thingamajigs? BAH! Just sumthin' else to have to buy ...... knap the right rock just right, grind your own pan powder .....

You're a better man than I am! Them rock fired guns are too temperamental for me...

Back