I may succumb

Oh I'm not asking approval, just opinion.
I would put it this way--can it do anything that some other chambering can't? Probably not. Is it a stellar performing cartridge that is pleasant to shoot and fun to develop loads for? In my opinion, a resounding "yes."

"The 6.5 is all the rage right now. To hear tell it can not only cure all shooting ills but can solve the global warming thing and bring enlightenment to the world. I don't see what so special about it but maybe I'm just too pedestrian."
close to my thoughts also.

Tim Oheir, the Nosler cartridges do everything existing cartridges dare to do, only faster.
Quarterhorse, I have the 6.5 Creemoor built on a mauser action with a #3 contour Douglas barrel.
Its accurate, no recoil really and I never run out of different bullets to test..
Maybe since most who have replied didnt mention the 6.5 SAUM, and the 6.5 PRC, you could check those out also...

The 6.5 is all the rage right now. To hear tell it can not only cure all shooting ills but can solve the global warming thing and bring enlightenment to the world. I don't see what so special about it but maybe I'm just too pedestrian.

I have to agree. As much as I like new and novel things, given what all else is out there now and what has been, I just don't see the point in the apparent popularity of the 6.5. Meow.

I'm relatively new to longer range shooting with a bolt action and chose a 6.5 CM. Now, I generally don't follow the crowd, but I got a great deal on this rifle so I figured what the heck. My co worker recently got a membership at Quantico and I go as his guest occasionally. This is the first time in 16 years I've had access to a long range. In one of my first postings about my purchase, one of the replies I received referred to it as the man bun cartridge, now that was hilarious, I like the humor. Now to the point, first day at the 300 yd range. With factory ammo we sighted it in on clays at 300 yds, and once I got it sighted I was easily hitting them better than 50% of the time. I was pretty impressed, even though I've been shooting pistols, rifles, and shotguns for over 50 years I felt pretty good about my results. So we dialed it back to 100 yds on paper, and it was pretty easy to keep everything at sub MOA, and even a couple strings of five in the 1/2 MOA range. Right now with my handloads, I seem to be pretty consistent with 5/8-3/4 MOA other than called flyers. So other than my occasional lapses in technique, I absolutely love the 6.5 CM and would recommend it to anyone who likes things that just plain work. But, if I had been shooting other calibers for years with good success, I wouldn't switch just to be part of a trend.

I just love all you nay sayers! WAKE UP, The 6.5 Creedmoor is over 10 YEARS OLD, it's not a new cartridge on the market.
If you are just hung up on the 260 Remington, or 6.5x55 that's just fine, but don't bad mouth a cartridge because you personally don't like it.

Hell, my 6.5-06 beats all of them, but I still shoot two Creedmoors, a 260, and a 260 AI.

While I know zip about the Bagera, you can build your Savage (or a donner receiver) into a low cost and very good custom gun.

First there are a lot of Savage choices that might get you that setup you want.

Savage has both a good trigger (and any one with a hunting Acu trigger can be changed to a Varmint which goes to 1.5 lbs or you can adjust it up to 2.5 lls)

The floating bolt head goes a long ways to good alignment and avoiding an expensive receiver of a blue print job.

If not, there are about a million barrel makes that will make you a barrel (probably have it in stock) in 6.5 of any length and profile you can hope to have.

I would likely go with a Lothar Walther in the Varmint Profile with a 22 to 24 inch barrel

That around $320 for the barrel.

If you want you can put it on yourself with about $125 in tool bought or have a gunsmith do it probably for the same (a Savage barrel change is easy).

I just love all you nay sayers! WAKE UP, The 6.5 Creedmoor is over 10 YEARS OLD, it's not a new cartridge on the market.
If you are just hung up on the 260 Remington, or 6.5x55 that's just fine, but don't bad mouth a cartridge because you personally don't like it.

Hell, my 6.5-06 beats all of them, but I still shoot two Creedmoors, a 260, and a 260 AI.

It took me a while to unravel that one

If I was buying all new I would give the 6.5 Creed a serious look. Maybe 6.5 Lapua as well. 260 would be high on the list.

It has far more going for it that I realized when it came out. Just a larger caliber background.

I just love all you nay sayers! WAKE UP, The 6mm bore is over 120 YEARS OLD, it's not a new caliber on the market.
If you are just hung up on the 6.5-06, or 6.5 Creedmoor that's just fine, but don't bad mouth a caliber because you personally don't like it.

Hell, my pellet rifle beats all of them, but I still shoot two .243s, a 6x45mm, and a .240 Wby.

I have no wants or needs in any 6.5mm cartridge.

See what I did there? :D
It's called "opinion" and choice ... with a little helping of hypocrisy.

----

Anyway....
Back to the rifle(s).
What is it about the Bergara that has you so enamored, QuarterHorse?

Thread bouncing around with yours, similar "multipurpose" role:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591696

And I'd proffer the same suggestion.
The best way to solve the tradeoff between a heavy contour needed for target strings, and a lightweight barrel for packing- without fluting (of some value), or compromising with other than the best contour and length for the application is with a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. Take your Model 10 Savage and screw on a prefit.

6.5 Creedmoor? Maybe. Fine for 1k yard target, whether or not it'll work on the game end of the equation only you know. Depends on the game, and the maximum range you expect to engage.

Nothing wrong with an "old" Savage 10, my old "flatback" Savage shoots half-minute. That's not due to the action- it's the barrel.

The barrel is THE most important component when building or buying an accurate long range rifle, and the optic is second IMHO. The Proof Research will give you what you're looking for; and you can always extend it's serviceable life by removing it and screwing on a less expensive barrel for casual shooting if you like.

FrankenMauser- You don't here a lot about Bergara other than their barrels in the US. The fact they have good trigger components, a pillar bedded stock and nice adjustments for the cheek riser have me liking the fact I don't need to put a new stock on right away if at all. It's also nice to have something of quality other than what seems to be "typical" firearms you see on the firing line at "Any range USA".

The Tikka I handled today in fact didn't have as nice a stock, the action seemed like an action you'd expect to be in rifle for that money should be, not this "unicorn" of an action that some folks on the internet make it sound like. Some articles read like the Tikka was "touched by god" per say and I raise an eyebrow a bit. Most folks seem to tout what is in their safe is what you should get. Coupled with the fact that a lot of different screen names you see on forums have similarities in wording raise an eyebrow for me. Who knows, maybe the action in the Tikka I picked up was "poor for Tikka" I don't know.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Tikka is just an entry level Sako. Their actions are smooth,and they shoot very good out of the box,but they are far from being the best of anything.

The bergara b14 hunter is a quality rig id get a 6.5creed in one of those if i had the money to burn right now. The stock is excellent i handled one in .308 when i picked my latest buy up in october and i was impressed. The bolt is smooth and tight, it was well balanced for shooting freehand. It had a floor plate instead of a mag though

I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless, with a #4 Brux barrel, in 260. Had a guy make it up for me. Light, super accurate, and low recoil. I’m sure it would be just as good in 6.5 CM. It’s my favorite rifle, having replaced my Sako Lightweight hunter in 270. I like the synthetic stock, which is now bedded. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat, if I just needed another caliber, but unfortunately I don’t. Very smooth action and great trigger. The Sako is prettier, but the Tikka goes to the woods with me. But...

If I was going to the mountains, i’d want a bit more caliber horsepower. Probably i’d call the guy that had the Tikka put together for me and have him do it again in 270 Winchester. Brux 20 inch #4 barrel, syn stock, stainless barrel and action. Fact is that the 270 does hit harder, though for what I do, the 260 works just fine. And I can handle the bigger recoil.

Love the 6.5. I have a Grendel, 260, and 6.5-06. Just love them. I prefer the 260 case because I can make them from 243, 7-08, or 308 if I need to.

Ok let's really pop some eyeballs. For all of the folk saying too heavy on the HMR, and I'm not disagreeing, I've not seen a recommendation other than the Tikka on a riflemto do both. We could bump the price to under 1500 and say maybe the Christensen Arms Mesa? Other recommendations for a light rifle with a barrel to keep up with a precision class?

Instead of an internet "people's court" Id recommend you do two things at this point. 1) Go to a local range, dealer, friend, whatever and borrow a 6.5 creed and fire it. The bullet will fly accurate--no matter what configuration you try (well, except maybe that anderson 16" type 1 grendel barrel that I bought lol) 2) Spend some time with a ballistics calculator--there's tons of em out there available for free--and pattern the kinds of loads you'll be shooting--and compare them to the alternatives. You'll know what to do then. :D;)

Because I like gathering info from other experienced folks and seeing replies. Thanks for your input!

I have a chrono, loads for calibers in my safe worked up, and multiple guns. Much like the same reason you're on a forum, I like seeing other people's opinions on a subject.

Back