I know it's all relative but . . .

And stop fantasizing about every scenario shown in video games.....Folks bringing guns into the shower because "they read somewhere on the Net" that these massive gangs wait untuil they see the bathroom light go one and then ram through your front door to steal yout TV........etc., etc..... They're selling old cold war missile silos now as survival bunkers.........

I'd have to agree with competency over probability school of thought.

Better to have 6 shots that you can control than 3 times that which you can't.

And stop fantasizing about every scenario shown in video games.....Folks bringing guns into the shower because "they read somewhere on the Net" that these massive gangs wait untuil they see the bathroom light go one and then ram through your front door to steal yout TV........etc., etc..... They're selling old cold war missile silos now as survival bunkers.........
Ah so now we're fantasizing.. ok ok..

Well I can't speak for anyone else but most of my mental exercises are about bad choices vs worse choices and I don't fair to well in many of them, That's exactly why I find them useful.
I NEED to think about things NOW when I have time, Every scenario is different but If I've already thought out some situations even if not exactly to a T, I will have an advantage.

Im not day dreaming about being Indiana Jones or Rambo.
But maybe my "fantasy" is trying to find a way to live in a bad situation.. :rolleyes:

Video games?, Please stop projecting onto me your own issues.

I will give you the same advice I received when I started carrying.
The very first question you must ask your self is not what type of gun you want, the type holster, or the type of ammo you should load your gun with.

The very first question you need to ask and be honest with your self is "Can I shoot, and quite possibly kill another human being?"

Simple, to the point, Not an easy thing to answer, It's also not something you'll likely be able to answer in a minute, hour or even a day, But It is one that should be decided before you ever carry a gun.

You'll need to "FANTASIZE" :rolleyes: about this for a while, Because you will not have time to debate the moral and religious issues in the moment.
If you try you'll probably hesitate, and when you hesitate you are at grave risk.

probability school of thought.

Again, that's the folks who just think the mean always happens and really don't understand statistical decision cut offs.

Having two or three on a home break-in is not unrealistic.

The counter argument against preparing only for the mean is usually stupid as it postulates we are talking about gangs of zombies. Nope.

Having two or three on a home break-in is not unrealistic.

In my defence and my indictment (in equal measure) I had overlooked the OP's restriction to HD.

In this case, the likelihood of hitting passersby is reduced as you are in your own home and you know the environment helping further, but still if you can't hit what you're aiming at it becomes a point of hoping the big bangs are enough to make the attackers desist.....

As I read the replies to the OP's question, I can't help but wonder why many commenters seemingly refuse to understand that learning to shoot a high-capacity pistol is not at all difficult or impossible.

That's a good point. I suggest that folks need to get away from the theoretical and get a small semi pistol like an LCP, a SW Model 10 or a Glock 19 (or similar semi) and run through a few IDPA matches or the like. Decide which you want to be using in an emergency at home.

I've done that and can shoot the little guys decently, as well as the revolver, but that doesn't mean - those are my choices for the home gun or EDC.

I have a 9mm semi-auto, max capacity 13 rounds. I also have a 38spl +P revolver which holds only 5 rounds. For a normal one or two bad guy breaking in, I would grab the closest one. If someone has a self defense handgun and can't hit anything with it, it wouldn't make any difference how many rounds it held. Get a shotgun.

Last edited:
I guess I have to determine what is "don't shoot well". Does anyone that posted here have a gun that they couldn't use for HD?? I DON'T!!
My criteria for a HD gun is one I can point and shoot in a dark house, night sights or not. I have a couple that just point naturally in my hands.
The house is dark, I have the advantage IMO.

In the unrealistic original situation, I would choose the 6-shooter. In reality, I have both, and shoot both well.

There's really a good chance you could pull it off with a derringer. One shot and the BG's will head for the hills.

There's really a good chance you could pull it off with a derringer. One shot and the BG's will head for the hills.
OTOH - this is your home, not some random attack at a remote location,,,,,,

Someone has gone to the trouble of tracking down where you live & is bringing the fight to your doorstep.

This is personal & the way I see it, one, two or three shots - - probably aren't going to scare them off and make them head for the hills.

Sure, maybe it's a home invasion - - but - - what if it's not? What if it is someone that wants nothing less than you dead? Or a family member?

In my home, it's my rules - - & my rules don't allow me to "run dry".

OTOH - this is your home, not some random attack at a remote location,,,,,,

Someone has gone to the trouble of tracking down where you live & is bringing the fight to your doorstep.

How do you know that? I could be a random burglary by an unarmed burglar.

How do you know he's "bringing the fight?" He may be hoping no one's there at all, or if so sound asleep.

I wasn't recommending a derringer, but was pointing out that one sot fired could clear out the intruder/s.

A loud dog is also very effective.

What if it is someone that wants nothing less than you dead?

I'd guess he'd likely kill you somewhere other than home. If someone goes to the trouble to plan a murder, why would he give the intended victim the home field advantage?

How do you know that? I could be a random burglary by an unarmed burglar.
#1 - I don't know that.
#2 - How do you know it isn't?

I always assume the worst case scenario & prepare for that event.

That way I'm not standing there wishing "if only".

I'd guess
Go ahead and keep following the guess route if you prefer.
I'd rather not follow the "guess and hope" route.

"Hope" is one of my least favorite words.
Only losers hope. They do the bare minimum, then "hope" it's enough.
That rarely works out well.

Most incidents involve 1-2 shots so...sure you can be outside the stats but chances are getting smaller and smaller and at some point you will need a machine gun w/ grenade launcher to handle the 100 armed ninjas coming to get you. Even groups of armed individuals scatter when shots are fired. Me, Ive got a glock 26 in my hand with a back up lcp for night time noises. I also have an alarm and cameras. I have also trained BJJ/MMA for 6+ years, practiced going through my house, have a plan, know the nooks and crannies with the lights off, etc.

IIRC it's a FBI statistic that says avg number of shots fired is like 3.
Im sure you heard the rule of 3, 3 shots, 3 seconds 3 feet (or hell is it yards?)

I could have sources wrong..
at any rate when someone finds fault with carrying anything larger then a 5 or 6 shot revolver cause it's not needed, I just think to my self.. great! I won't need to reload for 3 or 4 shootings then.

Just cause you got it doesn't mean you have to shoot it all.. although that's another argument often used. that you'll just dump the mag and be a danger long after the BG is dead or fled.

I mean that does happen; But I flatly reject arguments built entirely on the assumption I am incompetent and have no self control.

Im sure you heard the rule of 3, 3 shots, 3 seconds 3 feet (or hell is it yards?)
We have all heard the phrase, but it is by no means a "rule".

Think about it: three shots fired in three seconds at an attacker who is moving at a normal five yards per second pace.

How far would he move?

Back