I know it's all relative but . . .

If a six shooter is the one you shoot the best, but you would only feel safe with a higher capacity weapon, you could always carry two six shooters.
You would hardly be the first person to do it that way.

You shooting well with 6 rounds trumps not well with 100. Never mind 15. Mind you, shooting well does not mean MOA groups with a hand gun.
"...NYPD's habit of spraying..." Isn't just the NYPD.

I'm sorry to say - I don't buy the OP premise. I have 5 to 6 shot guns and higher cap ones. I practice with each of them. Thus, I carry with the highest capacity that dress or circumstance allow. However, I feel comfortable with all of them and their/my performance overlap such that the choice wouldn't come up on that dimension. In two matches designed to test you with lower cap guns, we did a one head shot at distance of about 15 yards. I made both with a 642 and G42. Now that's not to say, I could do it under stress or would not miss with a G17. However, the point being I try to be competent with each gun I have to carry.

Like my OP, it's all relative. Truth is I pondered the question because I have a 38 special that I am dead on with at seven yards. Six shots, of course. I have an 18 round mag (yes 18) for my 9mm Beretta 92fs, but at seven yards I am still down and to the left of my aim by six to eight inches. Have been thinking about putting the 38 in the HD quick access safe.

Life is good
Prof Young

Last edited:
I'd take the 6 shots you can shoot well and use that ANY DAY.

And get some speedloaders for your revolver and practice, and also look up the "Harries Method" for flashlight usage. :)

The gun you shot well. Let's say you have multiple hostiles in your home or attacking you, sure, capacity is nice, but if you can't hit them, it's kind of irrelevant how much your pistol holds.

"More and more home invasions are done by groups of 4-5 or even more individuals."

Evidence, support, statistics, anything?

Prof Young said:
I know it's all relative, but if all other factors were equal and you had to choose between an HD handgun that you shot well but only had six rounds, or one that you didn't shoot well but it held 15 rounds . . . which would you choose.
I'm with Joesixpack on this: I'll take the one I didn't shoot well with 15 rounds, and learn to shoot it well.

This is actually a rigged question....

If I didn't shoot a particular gun well, it would be history - as in gone - outta here - sold or traded away for something else.

The number of guns available far exceeds my budget to buy them - so - it's senseless to tie up good funds for some piece of junk.

Something else to think about...what makes you think that while you're missing with your hi-cap gat the bad guys will also be missing? Iow, the more you miss, the more time they have to hit.

... Truth is I pondered the question because I have a 38 special that I am dead on with at seven yards... I have an... Beretta 92fs, but at seven yards I am still down and to the left of my aim by six to eight inches...

In a stressful situation I would personally rather have the gun that I am most capable with, and therefore, most confident in.

Prof Young wrote:
...all other factors were equal and you had to choose between an HD handgun that you shot well but only had six rounds, or one that you didn't shoot well but it held 15 rounds . . . which would you choose.

Well, ceteras parabas, I chose a S&W model 36 (five round, 38 Special) as my principal self-defense weapon.

No question on my mind which I would choose, given the difference you describe when you shoot them take the revolver. But, in the meantime either learn to shoot the semi-auto better or find one you can shoot better. I'm lucky, I have several of each I shoot equally well. My revo's in SA shoot much better for me but in DA are about the same as my semi auto's. I also have an 8-shot S&W model 627 that is very accurate with a great DA trigger, and with some well loaded 158 gr XTP's .357 Mag will do the trick.

Statistics - this is the mean discussion as compared to the outlier critical value cutoff discussion. If the mean is one guy but 5 % are done by teams, you could be in the 5 %.

The Petit family was a team of two who followed the wife as discussed a zillion times.

Learn how to shoot all your gun well enough so we don't have forced questions.

I can learn to shoot any decent gun well enough, and even some crappy guns. I can shoot a Jennings J-22 accurately enough to get most of my shots in the black at 25 feet. I can shoot a Diamondback DB9 accurately, while encased inside of a wallet holster at 25 feet. I could shoot an INA knock-off of a Chiefs Special accurately out to 25 feet. I could shoot an AMT 45 Back-up accurately out to about 30 feet.

Those are all pocket-guns, not meant for long distance shooting.

If you can't pick up just about any gun and figure out how to shoot it accurately and consistently after putting 100 rounds through it, you haven't had to shoot many different kinds of guns.

I have only fired one gun that I really hated. It was a really old S&W 357, I believe it was a Model 28. It didn't fit my hand and the combination of the heavy trigger pull, recoil and grip hurt my hand. Well, the AMT 45 Backup hurt my hand too, but after 150 rounds.

Last edited:
Situations can be generalized, You don't need to imagine every possible scenario in it's entirety from start to finish.

Most of your life can be broken down into nothing more then a series of repeating scenarios like scenes out of a movie, Cut and pasted to make up the story of your life in totality.

The human brain is able to adapt, extrapolate, categorize and make connections on similar but inexact situations and things.

We (humans) spend most of our life categorizing things whether you realize this on a conscious level or not.

We can identify moldy food even though mold can take many different colors and forms.
we can identify fish even though so many of them look different we recognize similarities and make connections, we categorize and make generalizations.

So to can your take training for scenario A and apply it to B.. even if B is not exactly as scripted in A, Further more A probably is not as scripted in training either.

This is where the human minds ability to adapt and improvise becomes useful.. You'll be more successful in situations where you have some experience even if that experience is far removed from the presents specific circumstance.
Some small similarities will exist enough to give you an advantage.

I personally think mental exercises are a good thing, Even if such scenarios in those exercises seem outlandish to some.

Some believe your dreams are your mind way of preparing you for difficult situations, think of it as virtual reality on a biological level.

I personally believe that to be true and by extension see no reason why mental exercises would not also have benefit.

And spending all of that brain power on morbid scenarios isn't a sign of good mental health either. Sometimes, one just has to stop and smell the roses, not atop and look around for bad guys lurking in the shadows...... YMMV

And spending all of that brain power on morbid scenarios isn't a sign of good mental health either. Sometimes, one just has to stop and smell the roses, not atop and look around for bad guys lurking in the shadows...... YMMV
Are you a psycho therapist now?
How much is too much?

YMMV indeed.

Im sure you've heard of the zombie outbreak response team.
It's really just about emergency preparedness, Not really about actual zombies.

My previous point was preparing for 1 scenario will often be adaptable to many others.. Stop thinking in such literal and rigid terms.

Back