I have just acquired an old Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag

I'm talking about the frame itself. I know the grip frame was slightly smaller but you implied the whole gun was smaller:"but the much smaller Blackhawk in .44 magnum? A whole different animal".
The whole gun was smaller. No raised ribs to protect the sights, a smaller trigger, a fluted cylinder and a smaller hammer, as well as some of the Blackhawks had shorter barrels. So, the Super Blackhawk had bulkier features and considerably more weight (considerably bigger), despite a rationalization to the contrary.
Did I mention that the standard Super Blackhawks come with a 7.5 inch barrel whereas Blackhawks came with shorter barrels (less weight)?

Last edited:
Keith had small hands and never complained about the squared off rear of the trigger guard rapping the middle finger of the grip hand under recoil. But it does rap mine with more powerful loads. So I tend to swap out grip frames for a more comfortable one.

Elmer Keith was small in stature, but he had HUGE hands for a man his size. First time I met him around 1979, I was sort of struck by his stature as I pictured him as being much taller than he was. He did have very large hands.

Back