I Had No Idea Rossi Was Making These

Did a bit of research--the new Rossis are really made at the new Taurus manufacturing facility in GA--along with what looks like new production 357 magnum revolvers--I'll DEFINITELY be taking a look at those. I had one many years ago (sold it for a song) and always regretted selling it.
I am looking at the 357s as well. Let me know if you get your hands on one and what you think.

WOW! What great shooting! You may have just pushed me over the edge on getting one of these guns. Only once has my Marlin shot groups close to that and that was with some Winchester Silvertip 170gr bullets. Most of the time its 1.5 to 2" or so with either factory loads or my handloads.

I think your velocity is right in line with the speeds most other 20" barreled guns get. The posted speeds on the box were most likely from 24" test barrels made to tighter specs than a production barrel. At 2200fps there ain't nothing in the woods going to out run it. And good choice on the 2x7 scope. Those are my first choice for lever action guns. And most other guns too.

WOW! What great shooting! You may have just pushed me over the edge on getting one of these guns. Only once has my Marlin shot groups close to that and that was with some Winchester Silvertip 170gr bullets. Most of the time its 1.5 to 2" or so with either factory loads or my handloads.

I think your velocity is right in line with the speeds most other 20" barreled guns get. The posted speeds on the box were most likely from 24" test barrels made to tighter specs than a production barrel. At 2200fps there ain't nothing in the woods going to out run it. And good choice on the 2x7 scope. Those are my first choice for lever action guns. And most other guns too.
Good point on barrel length. I am prepping brass right now to see what I can get with some handloads, but I have a couple of factory loads I can fall back on.

I had a Marlin 336 a while back, and it never shot groups like this either. I was blown away.

"It is a distinctly light wood and does not have characteristics like a hardwood like walnut IMO. I hate the stuff cause it compresses easily".

You know you can buy after market wood for the gun if you like it otherwise? Thats what I would do. I had a Rossi 92 way before they decided to add the safety and no complaints all with the wood.

USAF Ret I just ordered a Rossi R95 because I liked your groups so much. I ordered my gun from Buds. Buds had them marked for just a little over $660 and I had a $10 off coupon. So I bought the gun. It should be here in a couple of weeks since I paid by check to save the CC fees.

I just got a Vortex 2-7x32 scope a couple of days ago and that scope will go on the gun. I hope my gun shoots as well as yours and also shoots the lead bullet loads I have made up but haven't tried yet.

USAF Ret I just ordered a Rossi R95 because I liked your groups so much. I ordered my gun from Buds. Buds had them marked for just a little over $660 and I had a $10 off coupon. So I bought the gun. It should be here in a couple of weeks since I paid by check to save the CC fees.

I just got a Vortex 2-7x32 scope a couple of days ago and that scope will go on the gun. I hope my gun shoots as well as yours and also shoots the lead bullet loads I have made up but haven't tried yet.
Cool! Let me know how it shoots.

I was debating on the Vortex scope as well. I actually ordered one and then they got the Leupold in stock and I cancelled and ordered the Leupold.

I just purchased an Argos BTR Gen2
1-8x24
. I'm going to try it on a M788 .30-30 first but ultimately I think it'll wind up on my RAR .300 Blk rifle. I feel like the reticle should work well with both cartridges. It may not be a style that most would like on a lever action, but I used a 2 MOA RDS on my .35 Rem Marlin 336. I thought it would work well for hunting hogs, but I wound up selling the rifle as I realized how expensive hunting hogs would be if I had to rely on guide services for access.

Attachments

1-8x24. I'm going to try it on a M788 .30-30 first but ultimately I think it'll wind up on my RAR .300 Blk rifle. I feel like the reticle should work well with both cartridges. It may not be a style that most would like on a lever action, but I used a 2 MOA RDS on my .35 Rem Marlin 336. I thought it would work well for hunting hogs, but I wound up selling the rifle as I realized how expensive hunting hogs would be if I had to rely on guide services for access.
When people complain about violating tradition by putting a scope on a lever gun, I respond "Yeah? well, I don't see you out at the firing line wearing a loin cloth, a bone through the nose and hurling a spear!";)

I was more along the lines, the scope is a little too Gecko45 for those of us old enough to remember that name. I'm finding at first and last light inside a dark blind an illuminated reticle is helpful.

1-8x24
. I'm going to try it on a M788 .30-30 first but ultimately I think it'll wind up on my RAR .300 Blk rifle. I feel like the reticle should work well with both cartridges. It may not be a style that most would like on a lever action, but I used a 2 MOA RDS on my .35 Rem Marlin 336. I thought it would work well for hunting hogs, but I wound up selling the rifle as I realized how expensive hunting hogs would be if I had to rely on guide services for access.
I ran an LPVO on a 30-30 for a while. Ain't nothing wrong with that at all.

Note: After shooting a few times, check all the action screws. Mine came loose. If it does it again I am going to put some LocTite on them.

Note: After shooting a few times, check all the action screws. Mine came loose. If it does it again I am going to put some LocTite on them.
In addition to cleaning the bore on any new gun I always check (tighten) all the screws I can easily reach. The factory assemblers mostly use electric screwdrivers and I think they keep the torque dialed back to avoid damaging a screw slot. The last new gun I did that with I was able to at least get a little movement on every screw, up to a half turn on one or two.

Back