I Had No Idea Rossi Was Making These

My Rossi R92 in .45 Colt is well made. Quality wood, great fitment, good bluing, smooth action, runs well.
I'd just like to hear from someone who has owned both the older Braztech/Puma 92's and the latest rossi 92's and say "heck yah, they got their poop together and they are much better made now." If it's the same thing--nope.

So I owned a Rossi 92 and it was actually a heck of a shooter and ran fine. Got stolen in a burglary unfortunately. I didn’t replace it and had really considered getting this new r95 16.5” model but I waffled due to the $729 price when new. Then I saw the new Smith and Wesson 1854 and like the looks of it but those are $1350 at sportsman warehouse!!! This made me look at the r95 carbine again and now they’re $850. I’m hoping the aero one or the PSA will be a lil more affordable. I’m sure I can always buy one of those heinously ugly mossberg levers off a used rack for a good price.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...ster+lever+action+20+black+hardwood+stock+5+1

Bud’s has the wood stocked R95 for $718. The rifle I’m talking about is a Marlin 336 clone in 30-30. I think it’s a good alternative for people who don’t want to spend $1300+ for a Ruger or S&W. Some how we got off onto the Winchester 1892 clones in pistol calibers. I have an older Rossi 92 in 44-40 that had an action job before I owned it and was used in CAS matches successfully by the previous owner. If you were going to have some kind of failure it would be in competition.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...ster+lever+action+20+black+hardwood+stock+5+1

Bud’s has the wood stocked R95 for $718. The rifle I’m talking about is a Marlin 336 clone in 30-30. I think it’s a good alternative for people who don’t want to spend $1300+ for a Ruger or S&W. Some how we got off onto the Winchester 1892 clones in pistol calibers. I have an older Rossi 92 in 44-40 that had an action job before I owned it and was used in CAS matches successfully by the previous owner. If you were going to have some kind of failure it would be in competition.
I have my Rossi R95 in 30-30 ready for the range. Shooting tomorrow. Topped with a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33. Starting with factory loads. I will provide the data when I get back.

I looked one of these at Academy yesterday and it was a nice looking gun with a good looking wood stock. I liked the matt finish receiver. I didn't care for the rear sight with the tall horns on each side of the sight blade. Buds has these for $718 and I asked if they would price match and the guy behind the counter thought they would.

R95 range test today with 2 kinds of factory ammunition. Extremely impressed. Smoothest action I have ever seen on a 30-30 and the trigger is not bad. A little takeup and a crisp break. Optic was a 2-7x33 Leupold VX-Freedom.

PPU 150_Upload.jpg
PPU 150 Soft Point

Winchester Power Point 150_Upload.jpg
Winchester 150 Power Point

excellent! 1.5 MOA @ 100 is pretty dern good for any 30-30

I thought maybe 1 MOA until I measured it. Had to double check.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PPU 150_MOA.jpg
    PPU 150_MOA.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Winchester Power Point 150 MOA.jpg
    Winchester Power Point 150 MOA.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 127
Not exactly impressed with the velocity as compared to what was listed, though. Especially the PPU.

PPU Listed - 2378

PPU
attachment.php

Winchester Listed - 2390

Winchester
attachment.php

Attachments

• PPU 150 Garmin.jpg
    PPU 150 Garmin.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Winchester Power Point Garmin.jpg
    Winchester Power Point Garmin.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 124
I knew your group size was well under that--that's why I said "excellent" because 1.5 MOA at 100 is considered very good for most 30-30's.

Would I sacrifice 100 fps for that kind of accuracy with factory ammo? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't even pause to think about it.:)

You might also be getting some friction in the new bore/rifling that might smooth off.

I would be pretty darn happy myself and wouldn't complain lest the rifle hear about it and start throwing shots all over the place.;)

Excellent range report. I’m so glad it turned out well. Referencing my OP, I just gave one a quick once over at the show, but was impressed with it. This particular dealer had the full line of new Rossi products and his prices were very good.

I knew your group size was well under that--that's why I said "excellent" because 1.5 MOA at 100 is considered very good for most 30-30's.

Would I sacrifice 100 fps for that kind of accuracy with factory ammo? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't even pause to think about it.:)

You might also be getting some friction in the new bore/rifling that might smooth off.

I would be pretty darn happy myself and wouldn't complain lest the rifle hear about it and start throwing shots all over the place.;)
Haha! No sir. I am only going to whisper sweet nothings to her.

Now that I know she is a shooter, I can work on that speed with load development. I did shoot some Leverevolution, but she did not like that ammunition as much. Although, groups were still decent for 150 yard shots on deer.

Excellent range report. I’m so glad it turned out well. Referencing my OP, I just gave one a quick once over at the show, but was impressed with it. This particular dealer had the full line of new Rossi products and his prices were very good.
With the results and the price point, it is a winner.

I'd just like to hear from someone who has owned both the older Braztech/Puma 92's and the latest rossi 92's and say "heck yah, they got their poop together and they are much better made now." If it's the same thing--nope.

My Rossi is recent production and was import marked with Taurus' Bainbridge, GA location as the location of the importation. I got it about two years ago. The quality is superb and the stock fitment is better than my JM stamped Marlin 1894CSS. The action is slick and smooth, no malfunctions with feeding, and it has been reliable.

Did a bit of research--the new Rossis are really made at the new Taurus manufacturing facility in GA--along with what looks like new production 357 magnum revolvers--I'll DEFINITELY be taking a look at those. I had one many years ago (sold it for a song) and always regretted selling it.

Back