I Had No Idea Rossi Was Making These

I still wouldn't pay anything over $500 for one of their lever guns (having done so twice already)--they just aren't real-world quality IMO. I downloaded the manual and it looks to me like they still use the same rinky-dink magazine tube cap screw and single forearm band bolt to hold the tube and forearm in place in the receiver. I've actually had the mag tube and spring/follower chase after the bullet when fired.:rolleyes:

My only experience with them is with my Rossi 92, 44-40. I bought it used from a cowboy action shooter who used it for several seasons and have just shot it recreationally since then, but no problems. It does have some really ugly stained mystery wood for stock though.

I doubt it's as soft as balsa wood.
The two older ones I have are maybe not as soft as balsa wood--but they are certainly softer than any other wood I've ever seen on a firearm--it's probably some kind of Brazilian wood that's easy to machine. Maybe the "new generation" Rossis use better wood. I noticed that Braztech is now located in GA--hopefully that's an improvement. Used to be that if you were missing just one part you'd have to send the whole firearm to Brazil to get fixed and it was a toss of the dice when you got it back.

Nice looking rifle, but I still prefer M94 in .30-30 for some reason. I do miss the Marlin I had in .35 Rem, people thought I was crazy when I mounted an RDS on it.

I think of my rossi 92's as charming little lever carbines, sort of like Chevy Vegas--mechanically not engineered well but still endearing in their own way if you're into home hobbying tinkering. I don't know what the new ones are made of--but my two have forearms made of soft wood that have compressed down and have issues being retained in the barrel band single screw arrangement. None of this is going to make sense to you until you get one and take it apart and put it together to see the issues for yourself. At 4 to 5 hundred dollars I don't mind messing with them--getting up there in price that competes with American made ones--forget it, wouldn't even consider it, but that's just me and like I said I don't know if they finally got smart and revamped how they build them (I doubt it, but would welcome being convinced otherwise).

Now there's the option for another Marlin 1894 clone, the S&W 1854, rather than a Rossi 92. And, perhaps within the next year, also 336-derived offerings from Aero Precision and Palmetto State Armory. (Yes, you read that correctly. Everyone is getting in on the Marlin clone game now, even AR companies.)

Wouldn’t a 2.0 Ecotech be sweet in an old Vega hatch. Like a baby Z-28.
Friend had one (Vega) in high school and he somehow dropped a small block V8 into it. I got arrested in SC coming back from spring break driving it going a tad bit over the speed limit in what I thought was the middle of nowhere.:D I had my own 69 Chevelle SS but seized the engine and stupidly sold it for next to nothing rather than replace the engine.

Last edited:
That's one ugly stick of wood on the one in the link. Not just the wood, but the stock styling. Says walnut stained hardwood in the description.

I've never owned one, but the Rossi rifles I've seen at gun shows didn't do anything for me. I do like the shorter mag tube though.

The wood Rossi uses for the R92 is Açoita-Cavalo (Luehea divaricata), "horse whipper" in a direct translation.

Attachments

• IMG_3432.jpeg
    IMG_3432.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The wood Rossi uses for the R92 is Açoita-Cavalo (Luehea divaricata), "horse whipper" in a direct translation.
It is a distinctly light wood and does not have characteristics like a hardwood like walnut IMO. I hate the stuff cause it compresses easily.

I got mine a few weeks ago. I watched the Ranger Point Precision video on the rifle. They helped with the upgrades. It is not an R92. It is a very nice rifle, especially for the money. My Leupold 2-7x33 will be here tomorrow, so hoping to have a range report with factory ammunition Saturday if the weather holds out.

To the OP-- mea culpa, I didn't know this is actually what you were referring and it doesn't appear to have anything in common with the 92's I've purchased. Although I paid only $400 for my Marlin 336 30-30 as the bow of Remington slipped beneath the waves--this rossi does catch my attention at that price--especially if their design and QC has improved any.

I still wouldn't pay anything over $500 for one of their lever guns (having done so twice already)--they just aren't real-world quality IMO. I downloaded the manual and it looks to me like they still use the same rinky-dink magazine tube cap screw and single forearm band bolt to hold the tube and forearm in place in the receiver. I've actually had the mag tube and spring/follower chase after the bullet when fired.:rolleyes:
My Rossi R92 in .45 Colt is well made. Quality wood, great fitment, good bluing, smooth action, runs well.

Back