I got "Interviewed" this evening

If they had positioned themselves so you would have to hit one of the to get out, and they didn't want to move, what would be done?

I'd think a shot of high pressure soap in the face would give him cause to move. It's a car wash and he's on a bicycle. :D

I'd think a shot of high pressure soap in the face would give him cause to move. It's a car wash and he's on a bicycle.

Skoro, I saw the "smiley" and am aware that you were speaking "tongue-in-cheek" but lest someone take that as a tactic to think about I do want to point out that these two boys were both about 6ft, 180lbs and fit and somehow I don't think that tactic would have been terribly effective except to escalate the situation.

That said, if I had nothing else to use at the time and been backed into a corner, then high pressure water would have come into play at least as a distraction.

Seriously, it sounds like you took the best course of action available. Everyone goes home and no one ends up in jail. That's a good outcome.

How has the experience changed your behavior?

First, some observations.

Sorry, I have used coin-operated car washes before. The time on the wand runs out at the most inopportune times.

To those who suggested the OP get his weapon ready. I did not see where the OP said he was armed.

Did the police really take the situation seriously? I notice there is a palm-print on a freshly cleaned surface. Did they?

Good for you for keeping yourself safe and doing what seems to me to be EXACTLY the right things at the right times under the circumstances. You were vulnerable and took steps to mitigate that condition. Has the experience changed your behavior?

When I first read the title of the thread, I took another meaning of the work "interviewed", that of being questioned by the police, either as a suspect or a witness. Despite the meaning of the word mentioned in the link http://www.self-defense-mind-body-spirit.com/5-stages-of-violent-crime.html as stage 2 to my mind, what you experienced was being stalked (as in a lone sheep by a pair of wolves). A smart and savvy sheep, though. (edit) Lest anyone take my use of the word "sheep" as insulting, let me be clear. I think you behaved as a Ram to be reckoned with.

Your experience reminded me of what happened to Zarmineh Moody in July 2010 in Yuma, AZ. The Yuma woman was the victim of an attempted armed robbery at the Fry's parking lot on 24th Street and 4th Avenue.

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/moody-61996-purse-knife.html

Your story won't make the newspapers, but demonstrated the better tactics, nonetheless. She was lucky and nervy. You were smart. Thanks for sharing.

Lost Sheep

Last edited:
I've long thought of it as listening for the "cello."

Years ago some Scottish musician was telling Johnny Carson about diving a reef in the Caribbean and how, suddenly, "all the wee fishies disappeared, just vanished, and I wondered di' they hear the cello and I di' not." Carson looked confused, so the Scot vocalized "duuhdunt... duuhdunt,duuhdunt."

Cue Jaws theme.

Cue commercial.

:D:D:D

OK, so in Alaska you might have to use the car warsh in the dark. For the rest of the free world, I think it is a good idea to avoid that kind of place near dark or in the dark.

"" You called the cops first. That generally makes the caller innocent unless there is some real outstanding evidence to the contrary. Bad guys don't call cops. ""

I don't buy that theory at all.

Say GG does not have a cell phone , no pay phones are around and the GG isn't sure BG is following. GG runs and doesn't slow down until he is almost to Arkansas.

When he is in more a familiar area / home / things calm down a bit, he makes the call. Still think the second call is the BG?

"" You called the cops first. That generally makes the caller innocent unless there is some real outstanding evidence to the contrary. Bad guys don't call cops. ""

I don't buy that theory at all.

You may not buy it, but 99% of the time the initial 911 caller is logged as the complainant...a label that sticks in a very good way.

BTW, perfect job, ZeSpectre. That is exactly how situations like these should be handled from the start.

I think the point made by the OP is to always maintain SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. By knowing what is happening around you and utilizing your gut instincts, gives you the ability to maintain control, escape and evade, and most of all, keep you out of a corner where you may be forced to take actions that no one really wants.

The "funny" thing about the whole incident is the following facts.

1) I'm not a small guy. Yes overweight but I don't look weak or helpless at all.
2) There's nothing about my work attire or my vehicle (an old jeep) that screams "there's money here"
3) My "stance" and "attitude" are left-over from working with LE. I am generally treated with respect even by complete strangers.
4) I let them know that I was aware of them and never let them sneak up on me.

So I feel like I did everything in my power to "fail" the "interview" (aside from being there) so they'd go elsewhere but I guess since there were two of them and they were big and young and fit, they decided they could take me so they "went for it".

Oh and just FYI, I was there first washing my vehicle, they showed up just about the time I was finishing.

Zespectre
If this happened in staunton thats about 45 minutes from where I live. I'm glad you got out of there safely.

Bad guys usually aren't rocket scientists Z. These two seemed to ponder it for a while only to make the wrong decision. While I'm happy it ended without you being forced to shoot, part of me wishes you would be describing facial expressions as they saw your firearm from the bad angle.

I have to confess, once I was safely in my vehicle, that a part of me would have been really tempted to see just how fast those two boys could peddle those bikes with a maniac in a car after them.

I have to confess, once I was safely in my vehicle, that a part of me would have been really tempted to see just how fast those two boys could peddle those bikes with a maniac in a car after them.

"Uneasy Rider" comes to mind ;)

Posted by WANT A LCR 22LR: I don't buy that theory ["" You called the cops first. That generally makes the caller innocent unless there is some real outstanding evidence to the contrary. Bad guys don't call cops. ""] at all.

Say GG does not have a cell phone , no pay phones are around and the GG isn't sure BG is following. GG runs and doesn't slow down until he is almost to Arkansas.

When he is in more a familiar area / home / things calm down a bit, he makes the call. Still think the second call is the BG?
The problem would be exacerbated. First, the first caller has likely been identified as the victim/complainant. Second, by deciding to be one who "runs and doesn't slow down until he is almost to Arkansas", the "GG", who has now been reported, has placed himself into a position where the well-established and longstanding legal principle that the flight of an accused is competent evidence to indicate his guilt.

One does not want to do that.

One more of numerous reasons to have a cellphone.

Lacking a cellphone, the next best thing to do is probably to flag down a patrolman as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Back