I got a response on a letter from the Obama campaign

Speaking of looking into candidates:

The Obama message said he generally supported the rights of:

legitimate hunters and sportsmen

That says it all.

He thinks you should be a "legitimate" hunter. Problem is, does he mean non-poacher, or does he mean "legitimate" in the eyes of members of commitees in the Senate who try to get things passed on voice votes?.

Say for instance, our "representatives" pass a bill on a voice vote while we are at work, that there is no "legitimate" reason to hunt rabbits, deer, quail, dove, squirrel, elk, moose, bear, turkey, or hogs? Does he believe at that point, all firearms which can be used to kill some or all the aforementioned animals can be banned?

What does that leave? Hmmmm. Trap and Skeet? Okay, so you can keep a shotgun but no rifles.

Then in an effort to protect the children from harm, a month later while we are all at work, the Senate and House pass a bill on a voice vote saying that you are not a "legitimate sportsman" if you want to shoot skeet or trap, and that it simply isn't a necessarily "legitimate" sport.

So does Obama feel that all firearms which can be used to shoot trap and skeet can be outlawed? Is it legitimate to want to plink with a .22?

Well, I guess that is up to Congress?

Obama feels the 2nd Amendment doesn't come into play, where it says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" and that only an arbitrary definition of "legitimate sportsman or hunter" determines if the 2nd Amendment counts?

We are in deep, deep fecal matter today boys and girls.

Obama has won every primary by at least TWICE the amount of votes that John McCain and Mike Huckabee recieved combined.

John McCain will be defeated by a landslide margin. Conservative Republicans are staying away from voting for McCain in DROVES.

He is as cooked as a goat on payday weekend in South Texas. Done. Finito. It is over.

We are in bad, bad shape. Obama is anti 2nd Amendment. McCain likes to reach across the aisle, (do what the other side says) to be "bipartisan".

We are in deep, deep fecal matter today boys and girls.

Obama has won every primary by at least TWICE the amount of votes that John McCain and Mike Huckabee recieved combined.

John McCain will be defeated by a landslide margin. Conservative Republicans are staying away from voting for McCain in DROVES.

He is as cooked as a goat on payday weekend in South Texas. Done. Finito. It is over.
Don't look now, but the sky is falling. A huge chunk just took out my gun safe.

Or maybe not.

Let's take a calmer look at things. It's quite possible that McCain has only two ways of losing this election: If he loses his temper, and/or if conservatives (either Republican or Democrat) stay away from voting in droves. Other than that, this election could be a very bad thing for the Democrats.

Here's why. The Dems have split themselves into camps along physical-identity lines of sex and race. There's not a lot of overlap across those lines. If you want a woman president but Obama gets the nomination, you can't have a woman president. If you want a black president but Hillary gets the nomination, you can't have a black president. The Clintons' usual strategy of personal destruction politics has caused such an enormous rift in the Democrat Party that no matter who gets the nomination, the other side will be livid. They will sit this one out as a "protest vote."

As for those huge numbers of caucus and primary voters, keep in mind that caucuses and primaries are very different from a general election. These contests are spread out over several months, allowing the candidates to devote more personal time to each one, something they cannot do nearly as much in the general election. If you don't think that matters, here is a little story about a friend of mine who attended a recent caucus. She told me that most of the people there thought the candidates were going to make an appearance at their caucus. Their main reason for showing up was to see the candidates. It hadn't occurred to these people that the candidates cannot be in more than one place at a time.

I doubt they'll be that completely clueless during the general election. With no anticipated appearance of the candidate to draw them in, many won't go to the polls. This is especially true of the "younger voters" who so favor Obama. These younger voters never materialize in the numbers that the pundits predict every election cycle. That's been true since the days of the Vietnam War, where you had an unpopular war PLUS the fact that they could be drafted to fight in it. However unpopular the Iraq War is today, there's no draft, so there's less of an incentive for these folks to show up. Heck, even the famous "Obama Girl" decided to go partying rather than vote for Obama; in fact, she wasn't even registered to vote at all.

If Obama is the candidate, come election time enough will be known of his past politics and his plans for the future that the shine of his hallo will be considerably dimmed. That translates into less enthusiasm, not to mention the people who won't vote because he kept Hillary from her coronation.

But I still think Hillary will get the nomination. Somehow, she and Bill will manage to seat her Michigan and Florida delegates, and then pull in enough superdelegates, to win. And if that happens, the Democrats will suffer a seismic split. I wouldn't be surprised to see Democrat turn-out down by 30-40 percent.

The current mathematics of the delegate count points to the above scenario. For as much as Obama's victories have been touted, Hillary is still within 30 delegates of him. That's a tiny amount. From what I've read, either candidate will need 70+ percent of the remaining delegates to win with pledged delegates. At this point, that is almost impossible. Unless Hillary concedes to Obama, or Obama concedes to Hillary, this thing will come down to the Michigan/Florida delegates and the superdelegates.

Anyone who does not want Obama or Hillary as president should go and vote. Even if you don't vote for McCain, at least vote for your members of Congress. If nothing else, they will be your "firewall" should either Obama or Hillary become president.

A black populist in the White House? My eyes have not seen it all yet. A reason to go on living? Even a nightmare has its bright corners when viewed from certain angles, right? Crap... Cheer me on by whipping my back, will you? Communist America, here you are!

But I still think Hillary will get the nomination. Somehow, she and Bill will manage to seat her Michigan and Florida delegates, and then pull in enough superdelegates, to win. And if that happens, the Democrats will suffer a seismic split. I wouldn't be surprised to see Democrat turn-out down by 30-40 percent.

I think you are vastly underestimating the hatred of the current administration which McCain seems intent on continuing in spirit.

Maybe so. But from the people I know, the reports I've read, and the public statements I've heard from bigwigs in the Democrat party, they are a very polarized lot. I see people getting into Obama v. Hillary arguments almost every day, but I don't hear them talking about Bush at all.

If Obama gets more primary/caucus votes but Hillary takes the nomination, the Dems are cooked. Hillary's unfavorability ratings rival Bush's, and that's among Dems. Her ratings are even worse among Independents (and Republicans, of course).

But all this talk is speculation until November.

Back