I found a gun in my attic!

In 1969 a local business owner was murdered in his store late one night. The murderers were captured but the gun was not recovered at the time. Forty years later, two college students accidentally knocked a hole in the sheetrock of the house they were renting and while attempting to patch the hole discovered a .22 caliber revolver. It was turned over to the Police and found to be the murder weapon.

I can think of a hundred reasons why a gun would be stashed in the attic and none of them have to do with any crime.:)

Probably tens of thousands of reasons for it to be secreted away like that. If I had found a liberator in a French cellar, I'd be a bit certain as to why it was there. There have been a fart load of gun related. Crimes that remain unsolved. I wonder if the shotguns used on the Valentine massacre showed up in an attic?

"...called the local sheriff's office......why?..." Because it's the responsible adult thing to do. Like Kilimanjaro says, the problems that could arise would be life altering compared to having a junker pistol.
Know a guy who moved into a rental house up the street from the Inglis plant in TO. Found a suspected 'lunch box special' BHP stuffed into the basement rafters. Duly reported it and got to keep it. Things were very different in those days. It'd be chopped now. Anyway, it's how the guy first got into handguns.
I found a quarter once. snicker.

"Thugs" with records usually can't and won't purchase small autos because their personal issue is a lack of respect. Most of those "Saturday Night" specials are actually a fictitious anti gun and racist shill argument for disarmament. Same as the early anti switchblade articled Harry Truman's ghost writer churned out in his crusade to ban them. And where it was shown to work, despite common sense.

Apparently it's still working.

There's no more reason to believe it's some crime gun than finding any other gun - in fact had it been closer to what officers carried in the day, it would MORE likely be a crime gun. Criminals don't go up against cops or each other with dinky mouseguns - it's about respect.

When the LEO's moved from .38's to Glocks, what did the perps move to?

I leave it to the homeowner to report said gun or not. I wouldn't have. It's not illegal contraband and classifying it as a cheap thug gun is inaccurate. Most were sold in gun stores or gun shows to reputable owners who simply wanted an inexpensive firearm. Same as buyers of inexpensive switchblade knives - they weren't the tool of choice for gangbangers then, either. Most were owned by normal decent people. It was extremist propaganda and if you keep repeating it over and over even humans with adequate reasoning power seem to accept it.

The Nazis did a good job of proving it. No gun is "criminal." The user may or may not be.

Please provide some honest reliable documentation for those statements.

No, the Jennings is no longer the criminal weapon of choice since it has become simple beyond reason to get guns that are modern and mainstream. There have been killings with guns made out of junk, and yes, crime has been committed with cheap switchblade. As easily as they were found in the past, what sort of fool would carry a pocket knife out to commit a crime?

Blanket statements like that can't be accurate. Thirty years ago, fifty, sixty, the entire world was different. In the fifties the average criminal couldn't get anything but a cheap revolver, unless he just happened to steal a better one

Back in the days of the classic "Saturday night spent" Billy cook, one of the original spree killers, murdered about a half dozen people with a cheap snubbie.32.

In the long haul, most killings in recent history have been blunt object assault.

I guess that this thread may have even gone off track, because it seems that most of it as about whether or not the op should have offered the gun to police to check records. The idea seems to be "finders keepers", and I'm not buying that. It goes against everything I believe in to not even try to locate the owner of a valuable piece of found properly, but again, that really doesn't apply to Jennings, and even though he did the right thing anyway, he did it for an equally important reason.

If you found a sewing machine or a $100 dollar bill, would you report it to the police?

The only thing the police can tell you about a gun is if it was reported stolen BY SERIAL NUMBER. Even if the gun were stolen, and it was not reported by serial number, legally it's not stolen.

They aren't going to do any ballistics checking, unless the gun was found near the scene of a known crime.

Not that I'm against having the SN checked, but the whole "I found a gun, it must have been used in a crime" thing puzzles me. I guess it's a product of the anti-gunner's teaching people that guns are "bad."

I don't b believe that any weapon deeply hidden away in an attic was necessarily involved in a shooting crime, stolen and traceable, or in any odd way a "bad" gun.

If you believe that we, as a society, have a moral obligation to do what is best for society, you would do iexactly what he did. At least make the gesture.

Ill say it again, unless it was stolen or it was involved in some unsolved crime, there's very little reason for police involvement. The thing is that if anything valuable shows up "lost" there are two ways of dealing with it,and running home with it as fast as you can ain't right. The right thing to do is to "do unto others" and make a reasonable attempt this isn't about finding a box of dishes, or a a stash of notes in a desk you bought.

It all involves the individual and his own personal values, I guess. I'm with the op. I found a commemorative watch, and tried to find the owner by the dedication, then wore it for a while.

I'm going to have to stop posting. I feel like I'm repeating myself and I'm sure that nothing else ill say will change any minds

Long ago I bought a Jenning 22. After one mag load it became jam-o-matic and nothing I did would correct it.

I took it back and exchanged it for a Raven 25. Now that Raven was 100% and I was glad I got it.

35 years ago a Brit draftsman with a green card called me up and said he found a shotgun in new appartment. He was going to throw it in the dumpster. i said you can't throw away guns. I drove over there and got it. It was a Stevens 20 ga break action single shot all rusty with broken firing pin and no butt plate: treasure.

We took i apart, put a nail in the drill press and filed it until it was a working firing pin.

My brother shot a ruffed grouse with that shotgun near my house.

The Brit got his degree, got his citizenship, got patents, got a Boeing fellowship, and died of a heart attack while goose hunting.

I must have sold that gun. It is not here now.

Bill DeShivs said:
If you found a sewing machine or a $100 dollar bill, would you report it to the police?...

Most States have laws dealing with lost property in general (whether a gun or anything else). Although such laws vary, the general theme is that the finder does not immediately become the lawful owner, and those laws often require that the property be turned into the police or that the finder take other reasonable steps to find the owner. For example:

1. Georgia statute 16-8-6:
    16-8-6. Theft of lost or mislaid property

A person commits the offense of theft of lost or mislaid property when he comes into control of property that he knows or learns to have been lost or mislaid and appropriates the property to his own use without first taking reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner.

2. Kentucky KRS 514.050:
    514.050 Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake.

(1) Except as provided in KRS 365.710, a person is guilty of theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake when:

(a) He comes into control of the property of another that he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient; and

(b) With intent to deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to a person entitled to have it....

3. California Civil Code 2080 -- 2080.1:
    2080. Any person who finds a thing lost is not bound to take charge of it, unless the person is otherwise required to do so by contract or law, but when the person does take charge of it he or she is thenceforward a depositary for the owner, with the rights and obligations of a depositary for hire. ...

2080.1. (a) If the owner is unknown or has not claimed the property, the person saving or finding the property shall, if the property is of the value of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, within a reasonable time turn the property over to the police department of the city or city and county, if found therein, or to the sheriff's department of the county if found outside of city limits,...

The fact that the property is a gun can create further complications. A few States have strict rules regarding the possession of firearms. For example, in New York State one may not lawfully possess a handgun without the necessary license.

So to be sure of being on solid legal ground, the best idea would be to leave the gun where you found it, watch over it to be sure it's not disturbed, and contact local law enforcement to come and pick it up. If there was any possibility that the gun was used in a crime, law enforcement would probably want the gun left in situ in case there might be other evidence in proximity.

My grandson found this S&W 9mm semiauto (loaded) just outside their back door last fall. My son called the police, and an officer came by to check it out - son had him take it back to the station, as he didn't know if it was a "hot" piece or a crime gun. And no, my 12 year old grandson has been taught gun safety rules, so he didn't touch it. Neither did my son.

They later found out it was "left" there by a somewhat deranged former neighbor. Lord only knows what the woman was doing at their back door with a loaded gun or why she dropped it - and she left her purse nearby also. Probably on drugs.

The officer told son it's not uncommon to get calls about "found" guns.

It looked like one of those inexpensive S&W nines:

bf3354d34a2bdfd81629bf670759f423d2a135b.jpg

Last edited:
With that Jennings, check the Safety...
as in, at a range or other safe shooting zone,
point it downrange, load it, cock it, put the safety on,
then pull the trigger...chances are about 50/50 it'll still go BANG!

Lorcin's and others are guilty of this as well...
those 1980's SNS's truly were dangerous.

That's because of a torsion spring thanks to the lawsuit from Glock. I removed mine and it was a lot better. About 8# but lot better than 15#

Back