I found a gun in my attic!

I was reading a thread somewhere, about somebody doing a remodel on their house, and when they knocked down a wall - no doors or hidden panels - they found at least three long guns hidden inside the wall.
One was a Garand, and that's the last I heard of it. Pretty weird.

the officer did the cool thing

No, the officer did not do the 'cool' thing. The officer did the legal thing.

The OP (assuming he owns the house), owns the contents of the house.

Everything in that house transferred when he purchased the building--whether or not the OP or the previous owner had detailed knowledge of the actual contents is immaterial.

My friend bought one in the 80's because he got a kick out of shooting my Raven .25, and I advised him to go with the cheaper ammo. They were both about as cheap as you could get at the time. Fun gun, heavy trigger pull, and very accurate for those capable of shooting it well. We shot hundreds of rounds through both of them for about 5 years. Then I moved away, and we lost touch over the last 25 years. I don't know what became of his, but I still shoot mine. Since I bought it in 1982 I replaced a firing pin that broke from dry firing.

My advise is to ignore all the bashing, and go have fun with it. I can tell you first hand, they are safe, enjoyable, and fun to shoot. Few people shoot them well, so it really gets attention when you do. :)

Those are what poor people used for self defense in the 80's.

Congratulations, you just found $200, provided you keep your ears tuned for the next gun buyback near you !

You did the right thing calling the deputy, any perceived problem that could arise when the deputy shows up is nothing compared to the problems that would arise should you be found in possession of a stolen firearm or a crime gun at some time in the future. The tale of "I found it in the attic" is a lot less believable when you don't call the cops.

I wasn't real concerned if they took the gun and kept it I figured it just better be safe than sorry by having a gun that could have caused a crime and have it linked back to me.
Being in Missouri I don't think that they have gun buybacks at least not within 200 miles of me and at that point it wouldn't be worth it for me to take the gun up there get the money plus to hell with that!!!! I want all the guns I can get

I am strongly on the side of turning it over to the pd, as you did, because this story just isn't right. A "Saturday night special" hidden behind a board in an attic is a clear indicator that it probably wasn't daddy's nightstand gun. Then, just like a watch in a bank vault that was never reclaimed, you're left with the question of who abandoned it and why?

There must be thousands of reasonable scenarios. With tens of thousands of unsolved killings, it's remotely possible that the thing was involved in a crime.

I can more easily believe that it was put there by a younger person at the home, who left. It there to go to college or some other thing, and either forgot it (really, is that possible?) Or just never reclaimed it.

Here in joplin, a man found an enormous coin collection in the wreckage of his home after the tornado. He got the home from his father, who had apparently stashed the loot on the attic. Stuff like this happens all the time. I guess that finding murder weapons or bank loot is rare.

Sadly it sounds like one of my tricks. I remember hiding one a few years ago. At that time it must have been pretty good, because I Do remember thinking, incase I forget, I'll find it if I ever move.
I've looked for it now off and on 2 yrs. :(
I don't have kids at home, so that's not a issue.

A "Saturday night special" hidden behind a board in an attic is a clear indicator that it probably wasn't daddy's nightstand gun.

That could have been my scenario,,,
As a young lad I bought a ROHM .22 at a garage sale.

I had to keep it hidden way deep in my closet,,,
If my Mom would have found out about it,,,
She would have sold me to the gypsies.

Aarond

Another reason to have the police check it out is that it could have been stolen from YOU, and then you would get your gun back. I wouldn't go so far as to condemn the fellow who wouldn't call the police; however, running it by the police was actually the praiseworthy thing to do.

Found a old revolver partially buried in back yard cleaning out fence row. It was crusted up so bad, couldn't tell what kind it was.

Sadly it sounds like one of my tricks. I remember hiding one a few years ago. At that time it must have been pretty good, because I Do remember thinking, incase I forget, I'll find it if I ever move.
I've looked for it now off and on 2 yrs.
I don't have kids at home, so that's not a issue.
I've seen it happen.
I've also seen them get misplaced and end up in ridiculous places.

One particular incident that I later realized was MY fault involved a Sterling .22 pistol that went missing from my father's house when unloading the vehicle after a camping trip.

We spent about 2 years looking for it, and never came up with anything. No spare magazines. No holster. No pistol.
It was all just gone.

And then, one day, my step mother cleaned out the pantry while chasing some mouse droppings.
In the back of the pantry; behind 250 lbs of wheat; on the tile floor; covered in crusty, black, previously-liquefied potato residue; was a Sterling .22 pistol in its holster; sitting next to a spare magazine; all wrapped up in what was left of a mesh potato sack; with petrified potato "eyes" interlaced through everything.

Sack of potatoes.... :rolleyes:

20+ years later, while telling my wife about that camping trip and the 3+ hour detour to a flour mill that caused a great deal of irritation in my father, I had a flashback of the unloading process. I was getting scolded for not carrying enough 'cargo' per trip into the house, while simultaneously being scolded for not getting all of the 'gun stuff' first. I grabbed the holstered Sterling and spare magazine off the front seat, dropped it into a sack of potatoes already in my other hand, grabbed two cased rifles, and took it all into the house.

The sack of potatoes got left on the kitchen counter, and the rifles went to the gun cleaning area. Back in the kitchen, I couldn't find the potatoes to extract the Sterling, so I kept unloading. Somewhere in all of the yelling and anger of the day, I simply forgot about the Sterling.
Apparently, the sack of potatoes had been put in the pantry by my step mother; and it wasn't noticed when the 250 lbs of wheat was put away later that week.

Don't yell at your family. They may hide your guns from you, without even realizing they're doing it. ;)

My BIL owns his own body shop and always buys wrecked vehicles and restores them for personal use. Nine years ago he bought a wrecked F-150 with less than 1000 miles on it. During repairs he found a cheap 9mm inside the drivers door panel. Had the SN run, it came up clean and he sold it. On certain years of F-150's there is a panel in the door that easily pops out to access the electricals for windows and door locks. It also can be used as a secret compartment for hiding stuff.

Several years later he had to work on the door on the passenger side and found a large bag of pot. He called police to come and get it.

The scary part is that just a few months earlier his daughter had graduated from college and had taken a job in Washington DC. He pulled a trailer to DC to get her moved in. He got lost in traffic and ended up being pulled over by Secret Service officers after driving by the Whitehouse the 2nd time pulling a trailer. They checked him out, gave him directions and sent him on his way. Locally he is well enough known that no one would question him finding pot in a truck. But he would have had some serious explaining to do if a dog had smelled the pot in Washington.

That pot story was classic.

I had a 9 mm disappear, and I felt that I probably left it in an unlocked ked car. For TEN YEARS my wife has been telling me thAt she had put it away and forgot where she put it. At this point,if it wasn't stolen, and it's in the house somewhere, somebody is going to find a nice high power when I'm dead.

This all reminds a bit of the Cornwall book about Jack the ripper. She reported that a pistol in an outhouse, and in the most ridiculous possible way, she used a rusty pistol in a French outhouse as proof that an English painter with deformities of his privateers a slasher.

I have owned several of the Jennings J-22s. All worked very well. The better ammo like mini mags, stingers and yellow jackets made them work best of all.

I might check the attic a little more. Now that you found the gun the loot can't be too far away.;)

After putting some thought to it, I realized that that big, clunky blow b back slide might also work with those heavyweights from aguila.

I was reading a thread somewhere, about somebody doing a remodel on their house, and when they knocked down a wall - no doors or hidden panels - they found at least three long guns hidden inside the wall.
One was a Garand, and that's the last I heard of it. Pretty weird.

I remodeled my office and the only thing we found in the walls was a stack of empty Budweiser tall boys. No value, no fun, but it did explain some things about the way the place was wired.

My FiL bought and sold houses for several decades. Law in his state was that anything left behind was new owner's after 30 days. He found numerous guns, jewelry, cars left in garages, etc.

Back