I am new to this Board,

30 Cal Fun

Our freedoms here, are coming under threat also, I hope we will be able to hold on to them.
I was off work today, and so last night, I took out the hounds and Racoon hunted, I shot out a Coon with my .22 Rimfire Rifle, I know in some counties it is Illegal to do something like that. Like in England where they made the Fox Hunting with Hounds Illegal. There was alot of bloodshead and suffering to make the things many Americans take for granted possible.
I am glad however that you are able to enjoy owning a firearm, and are able to enjoy shooting. I wish we had more people here in our Country that realized how precious freedom is.

well, short and sweet, there is no country that is perfect.
I'm not rich, but I enjoy what I have. life deals the cards, It's all how you use it.

that said, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it as much as you can:cool: I do the same. there is no excuse for not having as much fun with it as you can! :D

all the best, Louis

30Calliber Fun
Well Put, I would like to shoot a Hog with the Mauser, but havent seen one yet, I have seen some Deer but they are not in Season at the moment.
I have familiarized myself with the Mauser since I got it, and have noticed that it is a little picky about the cartridges it will chamber. Some rounds out of the same box chamber good, and some not so good, I sorted them, and have the good and not so good on individual strippers.
From what I can tell some of the Shoulders are not exact, and some of the Rims are not exact.
The bolt and Reciever have matching numbers, so I presume the headspace is correct. I have not had it checked by a Gunsmith. My bad I guess.
All in all it shoots well, and functions.

great that you have the opportunity to go hunting with it, 8mm mauser has plenty of knockdown power for deer as well as hog. just make sure you use the right ammunition.
It's nearly impossible to hunt here, but I bought some S&B 180gr (though this one is FMJ) recently, I have yet to shoot it, but I am sure it will make for a good change in accuracy.
I do not have hunting experience, so don't take my word for it but I think a soft point of at least 180gr will get the job done. I heard Prvi Partizan 196 gr. SP ammo is a good option, in the US it seems to go for under 15 bucks a 20.

as for the chambering problem, there are probable a lot of people a lot more knowledgeable than me about this subject, but you might have a rough chamber (which can be resolved by polishing it). but if the ammo shows to be rough itself, try some other brand, and see if that one chambers smoother.
just a little thing: DON'T oil your cartridges or chamber (at least not excessively more than regular cleaning), there is a lot of discussion about this subject, with a lot of people doing it and some say it can blow up your gun, others say it does nothing. better be on the safe side and don't do it at all.

take care, and let us know how she shoots. I get around 2 MOA if I do my part.

Louis

30 CAL FUN
I will get the Chamber looked at, Might be a little rough, The Rims on the Not Good Ammo, do look a little thicker than the Good Ammo in my sort pile.
Im sorry you dont get a chance to hunt, If you ever get a chance to Visit the US, there are alot of people here that would love to take you hunting, I know I would. How do you post a picture? I would like to post a picture of my Mauser.

I figured it out, Im gonna Post Some Pictures

03-05-10_131-1.jpg
03-05-10_131.jpg

Last edited:
30 Calliber Fun

I kind of messed that one up, here is a Picture of my Mauser I took this afternoon while Scouting for Hogs.;)

03-05-10_131.jpg

WOW!

WOW! that is one sweet looking boom stick, uh Mauser 98k!
the metal and wood seem to be in excellent shape! you did a very nice job finding this one! I'm sure it will shoot great. about the rims, it would seem strange to have different dimensions in ammo, if your unsure about it, have it checked by someone who knows, or use a caliper/micrometer if you have one to measure.

I don't know what it is with firearms, but it always looks nice to have a forest background. I love the smell of a rifle outdoors in the morning! :D

our "forests" look just like the one you have, but there classified as (national) parks. and there really not much more than just a park. hunting practically is not allowed in our country except some water fowls. I won't start about what it takes to be allowed to hunt, but suffice to say it's unreachable for the common man.

I would love to come to the states one day for at least a few weeks and go hunting. but my student budget says no at this moment, maybe in the years to come...
same for me, If anyone is coming here, Ill be happy to give you a place in my small but welcome home. In Arnhem (the city I live) we do get a lot of (primarily Canadian) WW2 veterans every year for the commemoration of Operation Market Garden.

Congrats and take care, Louis

30 Cal Fun,

I looked up Your City, Its beautifull and read about Operation Market Garden
Man that must have been a tough time in your local history.
The bulk of the British Forces didnt make it to the bridge in time, to stop the Germans, but a small group of British Soldiers made it there and fought hard but were over ran by the German Army. Very Sad.
I saw the picture of the bridge on the Wiki Encyclepedia, its Beautifull.

Last edited:
30 Cal Fun

Looks like an Awesome Vacation Spot Where You Live.
Found some Sites, with lots of pictues, lots of history, Its very Beautifull.
My Wife and Kids, would love to see a place like that.
From your pictures of your Mossin, it looks like its very cold there.

Thanks, we have some places that are nice, but there is a lot more nature in the US. so enjoy all you can there :)

Its not that cold anymore now, but still only 3 degrees Celsius. but the sun is coming on great the last few days, so it is gone get warmer.

If you or anyone is visiting The Netherlands some time, let me know, I'll be happy to show you around.

30 Cal Fun
Went Hog Hunting with some friends this morning, we were hunting them with dogs, they had an Airdale, that bayed up a big bunch of hogs, then we sent in a Cur to help, then when we got closer we turned loose the Catch dogs. They Cought one of the big Boars, about a 150LB Hog.
We caught him and Castrated him and turned him back loose.
He will fatten up, nicely and by next fall he will be a good one to shoot and eat. We wanted to catch a young Shoat to Butcher, or a nice Sow, but didnt.
My Son took some video of the catch and release of the hog, I will try and post it if I can download it on photobucket.
It was scary turning that hog loose again, he had some wicked cutters on him, we turned him loose behind a big log, then dove over it so he wouldnt get us. :D

I sadly don't have any hunting experience, but it sounds like there is plenty of game where you live.

let me know when you have the vid, I would love to see it.

30 Calliber Fun
Having a little trouble sending the Videos but I have the one here of the release, Man this was scarry.
This is a Wild Hog we have lots of them in our woods they are fair game.

I watched the video (and the pictures), you are very close to the hog, one wrong move and it could have turned around and attacked you.
good that it happened without any problems.

I would rather be patient and wait for the right moment to shoot a nice hog (or deer or wild boar for that matter). but still, nice catch!

take care, Louis

Last edited:
30 Cal Fun,

Your Right, I have two more videos I will try to load, The Wild Hogs, My Son was videoing the catch, and I had him put the phone up and help, we both had a Back Leg, and our Friend Tyrone, held a foot on him, while our buddy got the Catch dog off of him.
The Hog was incredibly strong, it was all we could do to hold him.
We also still hunt them with high power rifles out of shooting blinds.
I have been wanting to shoot one with the Mauser, but have not had a chance yet. I got one once with my Sons Savage 3006, with a scope, it was a big one. At close range you can kill one with a .22 if you place your shot right. I have had a hog put me up a tree before, Pound for Pound, there some of the toughest creatures in the woods.:)

you're right about shot placement, for big game (or pretty much any game) shot placement is far more important than caliber. there are people who hunt bull Elke in Alaska or even moose with .308, plenty if you know exactly where to hit.

BTW: is that you next to the truck in the pictures? just curious.

What kind of game do you have there?

30 Cal Fun
If its the more recent pictures in on my Photo bucket, album, the one with the pictures of three different men, one black man, my friend tyrone, and the two white men, one being myself Im the guy in the bluejean shirt.
With a dog on the tailgate, and alot of critters.
We went for a Squirrel hunt, and had 10 Squirrels, and a Racoon.
We love to hunt, Tyrone was the one talking in the short vidoe clip, he was amaized at how well the hog handled the ordeal.
All the pictures in the album were taken with a Cell Phone. The most recent is of my Son shooting a .22 Hamerelli Semi Auto, I was trying to get him to shoot accuartely but he was just slinging lead.:D

PS, the dog treed 16 Squirrels that morning, we found 14 Killed Ten, Missed Four, and couldnt find two, the Racoon was a bonus, we were pulling vines trying to get a squirrel to move and the Racoon climbed out, my friend shot it out he likes to BBQ them. The Squirrel is very good to eat in Dumplins and also slow fried like Chicken.:)

Last edited:
Back