I am new to this Board,

TX Hunter

I am new to this board, and just got my pass word to work.
Had heck with it.
Just wanted to say hi, I was looking for a place to learn about Surpluss Mausers, Springfields and So Forth.
I just bought my first Surpluss Rifle, and today was the first time I fired it.
Its a Yugo Mauser, with bent bolt that I bought from Samco.
The Rifle has a great bore, and shot really well. High up close, but grouped nicely.
Even shot at a Political Sighn, I placed at 200 yards, I shot at it twice and hit it once. LOL
Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning from many of your post.
I plan to keep my Yugo Mauser the way it is, as It looks awesome.
Will post pictures when I learn how.:)

It was kind of funny today when I testfired the Mauser,
I disasembled it, and cleaned the Cosmelene out of everything, watched that video on how to break down the bolt, cleaned it, scrubbed the bore, and got excited.
Well my first shot didnt fire, I said to myself, "This Sucks" Man I was down in the dumps, I waited a while, then ejected the cartridge. Tried again, and It fired, I fired three more stripper clips, and no more misfires, Love the rifle. The action feels great, this is the first real controlled Round feed Rifle I have ever had.
I have a Ruger M77 but it dosnt feed or eject with near the authority of this thing. Its awesome.

I have heard that the Sweedish Mausers are nice, would like to try one.
The 8MM Mauser ammo is not available in my area, have to order it off the net. I took the bolt out of my Yugo, and the bolt out of my Ruger, and compaired them, and they are similar, but a few parts are missing on the Ruger. Like the guide rail on top of the bolt.
And on the Ruger, it dosent alwayse grab the shell when it pops out of the magazine, it will push it in like a push feed. You can single load the Ruger, but the Mauser must strip a round from the magazine.
both good guns however. I like the sound of the Mauser when you cycle the bolt. It just feels awesome.
Thanks for welcoming me aboard, its nice to have a place to meet people who understand my interest in these fine Rifles. To most folks Im just a gun nut. LOL:D

The Rifle has a great bore, and shot really well. High up close, but grouped nicely.
Even shot at a Political Sighn, I placed at 200 yards, I shot at it twice and hit it once. LOL

Most of these old battle rifles were originally sighted-in at something like 300-400 meters.

How do you quote? just wondering.
It will take a while to get use to the sights, I have mine set on the 200 mark, and there is not much sight picture.
I hunted hog with it this morning, but didnt see any, I was loaded with some Wolf 196 grain soft points. I really like this rifle.
I plan to keep it as it is, as all the numbers match, and I would hate to change it, also something kind of magical about loading from a stripper clip.
I wouldnt be able to do that with a scope.:D

How do you quote? just wondering.

In the reply box, highlight the text you want to encase in quotes and click on the icon that looks like a speech balloon (third from the right). Or you can manually encase them by putting the word QUOTE in brackets [] before and /QUOTE in brackets after.

"Hi, Im Louis, and I'm a gun-o-holic.
It started out very innocently with shooting a .22 rifle at the local shooting range, but like all addictions, I didn't know I was hooked. Soon after that I got a membership at my local gunclub, you know, "If I shoot it one more time, I'm of the stuff forever..." I didn't realize that I was already searching out and documenting reloading data for more calibers than my club had. then it started to get serious. I moved on to the bigger calibers, .223, .357, .308, 30-06. I should have noticed it when I started getting rehab symptoms whenever I was not at the range and started having them as soon as I set foot outside the range. then I got a mosin nagant 91/30... and I was gone forever. 7,62 got me hooked (see my users name :P) as soon as I put my rifle away and left the range I couldn't stop thinking about the next time. I still recall they dragged me of the range while I was shouting: Ivan! get the vodka and potatoes, I have only 80 rounds left!!! but the straightjacket is really comfortable........"
:D

oke, now for a little bit more serious post (I'm still addicted to my mosin nagant though:))
Here is my rifle: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392934
Enjoy your rifle, if you put time and love in it, the rifle will give it back, it will keep on ticking. well... even if you abuse it, it will still keep on ticking :P

take care, louis

this a great forum, and I do spend a lot of time here, but for one that is more dedicated to the C&R enthusiast I would suggest http://milsurpshooter.net/
Welcome, and glad to see you here. For good information on all types of firearms, this is a great place.

30 Cal Fun,
Man thats a great looking Mossin.
My 24 47 Yugo is my first C&R gun, I love it, and have enjoyed cleaning and shooting it. I plan to keep it as it is, as I just love the looks of it.
I am planning to add a Mossin also, they are neat looking rifles, and aparently the ammo is readily available.
Im glad I have found people that think like I do.

About three months ago I bought a Mosin Nagant. My son thought it was for him, I said not hardly. Then I got the look over top of the glasses from my wife. Next thing you know I bought a M48 to replace the Nagant so I'd have a Mil-surp rifle to shoot too. Jump forward to today. I'm expecting a 24/47 and another Nagant to show up for me at my local FFL anytime.

The Surplus Rifles are great arent they.
One day I plan to hang a 1903 Springfield over the Mantle, but they are so expensive these days.

30 Cal Fun,
Man thats a great looking Mossin.
My 24 47 Yugo is my first C&R gun, I love it, and have enjoyed cleaning and shooting it. I plan to keep it as it is, as I just love the looks of it.
I am planning to add a Mossin also, they are neat looking rifles, and aparently the ammo is readily available.
Im glad I have found people that think like I do.

Thanks!
I like nothing better than to see the results of a good cleaning. to see that bore smiling back at you after a good scrub :D
I like to keep it as original as possible to, the shellac is pretty beaten up, but I like it that way, it gives it some character. as in saying, "you can only read about history, I helped shaping it"...

that said, I know how you feel, I live in The Netherlands, and shooting is something of a taboo here, you just don't talk about it (it does have a small but avid shooting community here). most of my friend and classmates don't even know about it. It takes you one and a half years to even get a firearms license and then you can get one firearm, after one more year you can have up to five firearms, thats the maximum. I hope to get a nice Springfield to one day.

from what I found out, it was originally an infantry rifle, it doesn't have an original scope and the muzzle is re-crowned, but it is hardly noticeable.
I plan on getting a duplicate stock so I can try refinishing that one with tru oil (not original) or shellac (preferable) and possibly even glass bed without doing anything to the original rifle.

the only mosification I did was to the trigger.
the factory one is very gritty, long and heavy
I did ad shims under the trigger spring screw and between the trigger spring and trigger where the contact. and I polished all the contact areas slightly so the would make full, smooth contact.
The result is a trigger that is much smoother, has a trigger pull that is about half of the distance it was first and is much, much lighter (haven't got a trigger pull gauge, put it makes a good difference). it is (except the polishing), completely reversible and doesn't take more than an hour or two to get fine tune it.
If anyone is interested about how I did the DIY trigger job, let me know, I'll be happy to give a small tutorial.

all the best, Louis

30 Cal Fun (Lewis)

No offense Man, but I sure am thankfull to be an American.
Atleast you still can have a gun, and shoot.
Why is shooting not talked about in the Netherlands?
Will people get in trouble?

TXhunter,
Welcome to the board. I live in North Texas, and have been collecting for awhile. Let me know if you need resources for purchases or ammo, I have a few.

TX Hunter,

No offense taken, you have every right to be proud to be an American.

there is no law keeping you from talking about anything including gun related issues. but if you "talk about guns" or "find firearms interesting" (even if it is just for their technical craftsmanship) people will very quickly tag you as aggressive or violent, right winged, gun nut, and fear that you will shoot up the school or something. people don't see it as a sport, they think there is something wrong with you because you "find something that is dangerous interesting". there isn't a "shooting culture" here like in the US. outside of the range hardly anyone will understand you if you say "reloading data" or something like that.

somebody of this forum mentioned to me once very correctly that there is a strong cultural disconnection happening to our youth today. teenagers are to busy getting drunk or playing video games that they forgot skills like being able to catch a rabbit, manage yourself outdoors, let alone marksmanship. I am 20 myself, but I still see the need to be able to manage yourself and being prepared as much as possible regardless of the situation.

it really has no ground but shooting is just not socially accepted. strange considering that because of all the rules and regulations and the emphasis on safety here, firearm related accidents have been pretty much zero (not counting organized crime) for the last decades!
in the olden days it was considered normal as, for instance, a farmer to own a rifle or shotgun to hunt or keep rats or other varmint of your property. but in the last 60 years the government has pretty much completely erased legal gun ownership here, and the only way you can own a gun is through a very long and difficult (sometimes bureaucratic) process.

however it also has its benefits. because of all the rules, regulations, and screening by the police before you can get a license, accidents are almost zero and you can be sure that the person next to you is a decent, predictable, honest man/woman that knows how to safely handle a firearm.

IMHO: be proud that you have the freedom to own whatever you want and that the government regulates life to a (arguable) minimum.
we have a great social security program, but with that it brings a government that is present in almost every aspect of your daily life.

Louis (or Lewis, whatever version you prefer I'm happy :))

Last edited:
Back