I am considering selling

Addendum: I shot a few more rounds from my .44 today and I have a picture that illustrates my problem. It seems that my hands are so small that to reach the trigger, I have to put the web of my hand, not square on the backstrap, but just to the right...which puts the 90 degree corner of the backstrap on the inside of my thumb. Unless I shoot so much that I have a callous there (At one time I would have a callous on my thumb from all the summer shooting I did.) I end up with a blister even when shooting with Hogues and padded shooting glove.
Here is the blister I ended up with today from shooting about 25 rounds.
enhance

Here is a picture of my "custom" grips I made today using rubber cement, black foam padding and duct tape. I will try this thing of beauty in the next couple of days and see how it works out. The result of the customization leaves a spongy feel so I have my hopes up.
enhance

How did it go with your "custom" grip? Looks like your custom grip might approximate the spongy feel the Hogue Tamer grip has at the top of the back strap. I have other grips for my revolver, but nothing else has helped with moderating the affect of recoil as much as the Tamer grip...

I have problems with my hand to. That's why I almost exclusively shoot .22 and cowboy loads in larger guns.
I started by putting Pachmayr grips on. That helped a lot.
Trailboss and lighter bullets solved most of the rest of the problems.

My hand and wrist problems started when I was 55.

How did it go with your "custom" grip? Looks like your custom grip might approximate the spongy feel the Hogue Tamer grip has at the top of the back strap. I have other grips for my revolver, but nothing else has helped with moderating the affect of recoil as much as the Tamer grip...
I have added even more foam rubber and it has worked for me. It makes for a very "spongy" feel, but makes it possible to shoot the loads I have in my reserve. After shooting them up, I reload the cases with 3.0 grains of Bullseye... which is even a more comfortable experiance.

At my age and health, I do not consider it wise to buy green bananas let alone add to my gun collection.

That is funny!

If I'm still shooting when I'm your age, I'll have considered myself a very lucky man. Tip of the cap to you!

Nice grips. I find duct tape and Gorilla tape to be a bit tacky. High friction. If you need something with lower friction, consider moleskin tape on the back strap.

Say what you want, but .44 special is serious medicine. It's gonna kick.

The lovely S&W wood grips are part of the joy of that revolver. I don't know where you get them anymore, but my Past shooting glove helps a lot.

So did discovering the .32 H&R Magnum.

Maybe you want to call it .327 Federal Magnum, .32 H&R Magnum or .32 Long. I would not object if you even lumped the .32-20 in with this family...

Loaded to a subsonic level, these are simply a joy to shoot. Just enough recoil to let you know this ain't no .22 but little enough that you wonder why you punished your paw for so long.

The only trouble is dropping 3 grains of powder in the case. It makes me want to laugh each time. "Come on, that's it???"

But yes, that's it.

.44 Special is a stout thump.

It all makes me wonder what some cartridges lost favor or never took off in popularity. Certainly there are other factors than utility.

As others have said swapping out to rubber grips will help tremendously. I have a S&W 629 and because I love wood grips I swapped out to a very nice set of S&W combat grips. Well, shoot full load 44 mag with wood grips was a very sudden recoil surprise for me. Decided to go back to the rubber Hogue grips that came with the gun and recoil is much more manageable.

Can't hurt to give it a try.

I shoot a lot of 44sp out of 24-3 S&W 6”. Cast 185gr WC at 700fps. I’m 71 and you can shoot this load all day.

Still shooting my Model 29 at 71 years old. Removed the wood and went with the rubber which made all the difference in the world for me and my hands are not large.

SW%20Model%2029.png

Since you sold the gun which began the discussion maybe you should consider a good .357 Remington Magnum? Shooting 357 is moderately lighter especially if you get an N frame S&W like a Model 28 Highway Patrolman or other heavy frame revolver.

Ron

Back