I am considering selling

Sorry to hear it. You know you don't have to sell it, if you don't need terminal performance. You could load rounds just over squib power.

Or... Devil's advocate here, you could get ANOTHER bigger heavier revolver that soaks up recoil even more. Are we getting any more stimulus checks soon?

dahermit, I'm not far behind you age wise, and have experienced similar in my tolerance for recoil. Recently, I has out shooting a 37 ounce 10MM revolver loaded with 165 grain ammunition producing approx. 1325 FPS in this particular gun. Having shot my share of .41 and .44 Magnum, and .454 Casull, I would have considered recoil from the 10MM unremarkable even 5 years ago. Anyway, trying different grips on this revolver, I came across the Hogue Tamer Monogrip. These have what they call a "Sorbothane" insert inside the top rear of the grip. These are relatively inexpensive, and certainly nothing to look at as compared to the wood grips in your photo, but they do actually work. Might be something to consider before selling that nice revolver...

Attachments

• Hogue Tamer grip.JPG
    Hogue Tamer grip.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 44
If you could try a few of those lighter 150 grain cast bullets you could easily pull those 250s out of the cases and replace them with the lighter ones just to give it a try.

I used to shoot something similar in my .45 Colt sa and they are nice light loads very similar to light .38 specials.

Just take the die out and run the case up and grab the bullet with slip joint pliers or something. Lower the arm and out it comes. They make a tool for that also that may not mark the bullet up much and also there are the cam lock dies that do the same thing maybe even easier. So much easier than an inertia tool for us guys who don't particularly want to hammer 650 rounds.

No Red Dot cast 250 load on Alliant's site. No Red Dot loads at all for anything but a cast 200. That alone might fix the felt recoil issue though.
I'd be thinking Pachmayr grips and changing the load, like 4V50 Gary says. It might be an idea to have the thing ported too. That might be more trouble than one would think given that everything is closed.
Loaddata.com says most manuals have jacketed bullet loads for only the .44 S&W Special.
One of the lads, here, says, Alliant's 1995 manual showed 8.8 is the MAX load for a gas checked 250. Means 4.1 is way below minimum. Don't have any current Alliant data myself.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599767
"...you can’t take it with you..." That's why I want a pyramid. snicker.

Problem with those grips is not the material but the shape. Concentrates all the recoil into one spot in the palm. A good Roper style will be spread the recoil forces over a broader area and be imminently more comfortable to shoot.

Probably won't like my answer but sell it and get a .22 rf. If it's to much recoil the answer is get a small caliber.

I agree on trying some Pachmeyer or Hogue rubber grips. When I was 40 my Model 29 was punishing with the wood grips. Set of Hogue and today, 31 years later I am still enjoying that 44 Magnum. Only when all else fails would I quit shooting it.

Ron

I agree on trying some Pachmeyer or Hogue rubber grips. When I was 40 my Model 29 was punishing with the wood grips. Set of Hogue and today, 31 years later I am still enjoying that 44 Magnum. Only when all else fails would I quit shooting it.

Ron
I have swapped-out the wooden grips for a Hogue monogrip that I had lying around...will take a few more shots when the weather gets a little warmer again.

Addendum:
Shot some more of the 4.1 Red Dot/250 grain Keith loads with the Hogue monogrip installed. The Hogue's were not much help...still unpleasant recoil (can only shoot a few rounds before I stop).

Strangely, reviewing my handloading notes notes on this combo today, I see that back a few years ago I noted that load as being "fairly light" in regard to recoil. I can only conclude that old age has lessened my tolerance for recoil.

I am going to try some minimum loads using Titegroup, Clays, and 2400 in a few days. But, I dread shooting up my large supply of 4.1 Red Dot loads to get the empty cases to do so.

Please, no one suggest lighter bullets...the 250 Keith is what I have and must work with. I am too old to change bullet molds at this point in my life.

You might want to try a PAST recoil glove, I am not sure of the exact name.
I got one several years ago, it really helps. I've got arthritis problems.

As I remember, some of the Hogue monogrips do NOT wrap around the backstrap. Do these? If not, then find some rubber grips that do.
Yeah...I suppose that if I keep on spending money on new grips to try, that after a few hundreds of dollars I may find the magic grips. Good advice for someone who is wealthy and has unlimited time. :)

All I am saying is that if the backstrap is exposed than the shock of the recoil is transmitted directly to your hand. If the backstrap has rubber between the metal and your hand, it will really be softened by the cushion.

Well congratulations on the 77 milestone, I lag you by about 5 or 6 years. I still shoot my 44 Magnum Model 29 and my 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk. They really don't bother me much to shoot even with heavy loads. I guess if it bothers you to shoot then maybe it's time to part with it, considering your grip changes do not seem to help. This is your call.

I have a rifle I no longer shoot. My 7mm Remington Magnum just sits in my safe. My shoulder no longer takes the beatings well and I am not about to start using a limb saver just to make a rifle I always enjoyed more comfortable to shoot. It will likely still be in the safe when I check out simply because the kids or grandkids may want it. Hell I think I have about 500 rounds or more of factory ammunition for it.

Anyway, you can sell it off and maybe get something more pleasing to shoot or just put the gun up and when you check out it becomes someone else's problem. Really your options are simple in that it is keep or sell and I can't decide for you. Your decision and whatever it is it's yours alone.

Ron

...Anyway, you can sell it off and maybe get something more pleasing to shoot...
I already have two old K38s one of which I shot everyday when primers were still available.
As I posted at this juncture, I am going to fool around with the .44 Spl. and use-up my large pistol primers and the fast powders I mentioned but I have got to get through the six hundred of so of loaded rounds I already have first.

I already have two old K38s one of which I shot everyday when primers were still available.
As I posted at this juncture, I am going to fool around with the .44 Spl. and use-up my large pistol primers and the fast powders I mentioned but I have got to get through the six hundred of so of loaded rounds I already have first.

Can you pull the bullets, and reload them lighter?

Back