I acted differently because I had a side arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

8shot357

9am 3-7-11 wst

Happened pretty much just now, I pulled up to the third closest spot in the parking lot at Walmart. There was a nice shiny Corvette in the first and only handicap spot, there was and old guy in the passenger seat of the car next to it, with his window down.

I came out of my car jokingly say, I'll bit he's no HC person and he probably ran into the place for something quick. LOL

Long story short, when I came back out the Corvette was still there as was the old guy, and I made another sarcastic comment that HC people can't back up a Corvette that well. LOL:D

Next thing you know it, I heard "What!, are you talking about me?":eek:

The guy was on the total defense, but I didn't see any threat, but,.....I change my attitude because I was packing as I should, but I might have said something different if I wasn't.

The old guy next to me was on his toes and said we were just trying to figure out what year your car was, as I rolled up my window and started to leave, and we both looked at each other and got a smile on our faces. Mr Corvette tried to say something but I just drove away.:D

Normally I would have told the HC to chill or KMA, but now that I carry, I'm the one chilling.

That's my point.

Please only comment if you now carry and you understand.

Last edited:
really

Jumped the gun.. sorry didn't read closely enough.

On another note be careful who you judge.. One day I was riding with a friend. We parked in the handicap spot and this man starts making remarks about my friend not being handicapped.. Gary has one leg and I was about ready to ask him to take off his prosthetic leg so I could have clobbered the guy with it..

Last edited:
but now that I carry, I'm the one chilling.

That's my point.

I feel the same way. I will usually say something to an unrepentant jerk i.e. somebody parking in a handicap spot when he doesn't have the sticker and appears not to be disabled... or the guy who takes up two parking spots so nobody parks next to his fancy car; the list goes on.

Now that I'm carrying I just chill.

When I was in college...

.... a friend of mine was a tall, strawberry-blonde, former pharmaceutical rep. Very attractive woman, and fortunately she'd been good at sales and had made good money.

This was very good, because she had developed an MS related disease (apparently the same had killed her father). Money had let her buy good health insurance; it also let her buy some home gym equipment, primarily resistance machines.

Resistance machines were essential, because when the disease, which would go into remission for hours or days at a time, would manifest itself again, she would lose some or most use of her legs. During those times, even basic walking would require a cane. At worse times, walking was out of the question.

She could still use her feet well enough to work gas and brake pedals in a safe manner, but could not count on the muscular strength of her legs.

Because she had the resistance machines, she could let them guide her muscle movements, and could work out. Her body looked great. She was a very nice-looking, late 20's. Nobody looking at her would guess she suffered from MS, and at times couldn't walk. And while she didn't drive a 'vette, she did drive a 300Z.

Sometimes, she could walk, but not maintain a straight line while walking, even with the cane.

It used to frustrate her to tears, that people would assume she was drunk on those occasions. She didn't drink, period. It also used to hurt her when people who couldn't mind their own business would automatically assume she was "stealing" the handicapped parking spots.

I got into a few busy-bodies' faces over comments they made, back then. Those folks felt pretty bad when they realized, so I didn't need to say all that much.

These days, that guy sitting in the 'vette could easily be a disabled vet. Guy could be minus a leg, but have an auto transmission. Guy could have a heart condition (I have friends who've had bypass surgery, who also happen to own sports cars).

Making pissy comments over the handicapped spot, when you don't know the other person, is BS. If you're that worried about it, ask directly, don't snipe like some junior high school kid.

Just be prepared to feel like an ass.

It was no big deal, my point was I would have told him something else like kiss my Corvette, or he had a tire low like his brain.

After having my foot chopped off in a motorcycle accident and other mishaps in my travels of the country on my bikes, everything seems (1991-20011 250K) mild, I just have a weird twisted sense of humor, so be it, I did most of it without a gun.

My point was...

... you apparently were in the habit of shooting off your mouth before you started carrying.

Now it seems like you're working toward fixing that habit. That's a good thing if you carry, and probably a good thing even if you don't.

What was "no big deal" to you would have brought my college friend to tears, and you and I would have exchanged words. Why? Because you felt a need to make an editorial comment, bud didn't have the nerve to ask the direct question?

That attitude offends me worse than would a potential HC spot thief.

If carrying causes you to mind your own business and keep your mouth shut, then you should carry more often.

MLeake

You'r totally right, I did step out of bounds. The guy did come out and kind of got off on a defense mode, maybe justified.

I might have let him explain himself, but my new carrying mode changes how I approach people esp in Vegas, and I just left.

Otherwise, I would have stood there for another 30 second's and let him explain his point

You'r totally right, I did step out of bounds. The guy did come out and kind of got off on a defense mode, maybe justified.

I might have let him explain himself, but my new carrying mode changes how I approach people esp in Vegas, and I just left.

Otherwise, I would have stood there for another 30 second's and let him explain his point

yes because the last thing you want is to get an argument where emotions on both sides can run high. he wanted to rebutt your comments for whatever reason. you said something to the man but didn't want to continue the convesation because you were carrying. Basially you knew he was upset with your comments and you didn't want a confrontation while armed with a firearm. Most people have had their mouth get them in trouble at one point or another, so it happens. You knew to just leave which was good, but he was still upset.

Last edited:
I thought you said you acted differently because you had the sidearm??? Oh wait, you mean after you provoked the situation!

Well that's good then, you're headed in the right direction. Next time see if you can act differently before shooting your mouth off...;)

I acted differently because I had a side arm

Not differently enough, since there was no reason for you to say anything in the first place particularly since you knew the window was down and the passenger would hear you. You tried to get a rise out of him and you did, THEN you decided it was time to "chill". You shouldn't have said anything to begin with, regardless of whether or not you were carrying a gun.

MLeake is absolutely right.

While I can appreciate the fact that you “chilled” and avoided a possible confrontation (that you caused.) I do not welcome or condone your actions leading up to the confrontation. Nor would a judge or jury of your peers had the situation escalated. I am not perfect by any means and I am human…occasional I judge a book by its cover, but I never openly badmouth or heckle another human being just for the heck of it.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
You started something that could easily have escalated. How would you feel if your popping off would have resulted in you actually needing your firearm?

Next time mind your own business instead of assuming and making snide comments and you won't have to worry much about your disposition because you have a firearm.

Definatly understand!! There has been situations where I walked away to avoid conflict because I was packing. In the past I have never been the type of preson to walk away from a fight but, when I started packing and running scenarios through my mind I realized that the best thing to do is avoid the conflict. I know I dont wanna have to ever pull the trigger on someone and if I had to it would more than likely be a life changing experiance. So now for me the best thing to do is try my best to avoid it and even places I go that I cant tote I still play it like I am and try to avoid the bad side of the situation. Pretty good habbit to aquire, keep me out of trouble a few times I belive

I used to be a punch first talk it out later kind of guy.

Now that I carry daily I avoid any and all conflict by any means necessary, even by losing face and just walking away, even if I'm in the right.

"with great power comes great responsibility"

Moderator note:

All right guys, we've all regretted something we said over the years. The OP knows he made a mistake, but there's no sense in piling on the guy like linebackers on a quarterback.

The issue is whether or not having a firearm has altered your behavior.

Yup, I do understand. In the years since I've been carrying, I've become very good at swallowing my pride and walking away from potential trouble. I'm pretty sure that approach has kept me out of some bad situations.

I know how you feel about perfectly healthy people using handicapped parking spaces, it grinds me too, but we have to accept the reality that some people are just the center of their own universe, and are going to behave as though rules are for everyone else - but not them.

Next time it would probably be best to just grit your teeth - and be quiet.

Having a firearm doesnt change my behavior. I try to be nice to everyone and help out as much as I can, why? Cause it is the right thing to do. I see a person is handicapped, I try to find a way to make them feel equal to me and not unequal.

My first wife dies at age 31, she had a kidney transplant age 18, then 27 she had a anuyism operation paralyzed her right side she died age 31 so I have some hands on in this.

She would have chased you down and hit you with her metal cane. She never let me use the sticker, she felt others were more handicapped than her and didnt want someone to have a hard time getting out of their vehicles.

Cant take back a word, once said it lives on forever.

Walk a mile........

brabham78...

... please note markj's post, and my earlier ones.

Sometimes, that "ordinary" person you see in the handicapped space has every right to the space and the pass. Just because you don't see anything wrong with them, doesn't mean they are healthy.

Unless you have some magical skills:

You can't tell the recent kidney transplant recipient.

You can't tell the heart surgery survivor.

You can't tell the passenger with a head injury that robs them of most of their balance.

If you really feel the need to ask how the person qualifies, do so politely. If you start off by assuming wrong-doing on the other person's part, and come in with an attitude, you may find yourself at best feeling very stupid and ill-mannered, and at worst in the middle of an escalated conflict.

Note to Capt Charlie: not trying to pile on 8shot357, as I think he realizes the problem; just replying to brabham78 and another poster or two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back